Web mail for hMailServer

Use this forum if you have problems with a hMailServer script, such as hMailServer WebAdmin or code in an event handler.

What kind of web mail would you like for hMailServer

Poll ended at 2004-10-31 13:59

Hack squirrelMail
3
23%
New PHP based
7
54%
New ASP based
2
15%
New ASP.NET
0
No votes
New C#.NET
1
8%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
rabol
Normal user
Normal user
Posts: 63
Joined: 2004-02-06 15:38
Location: Farsoe, Denmark
Contact:

Web mail for hMailServer

Postby rabol » 2004-10-16 13:59

Hi

What kind of web mail interface would you like for hMailServer ?

Best
Steen

gensplejs
New user
New user
Posts: 3
Joined: 2004-08-08 01:54

why a new webmail

Postby gensplejs » 2004-10-18 19:51

why a new web mail interface at all????
squirrelMail works just fine.

User avatar
rabol
Normal user
Normal user
Posts: 63
Joined: 2004-02-06 15:38
Location: Farsoe, Denmark
Contact:

Postby rabol » 2004-10-18 21:00

Hi

You are right, squirrelmail works, no doubt about that, but...

The look and feel is not up to date
It's hard to integrate into existing sites

As you could see, I alsom suggest to "hack" squirrelmail ;-)

Best
Steen

denlun
New user
New user
Posts: 15
Joined: 2004-10-06 18:26
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Postby denlun » 2004-10-20 17:16

Before running off and hammering out new webmails, what webmails have ppl tried? What works and what doesn't?

Personally I've used Squirrel on Linux for serveral years. Yes it does look dated, but I've never had problems with it. But then again eyecandy "sells". Anyone who's used Bill's Outlook Web Access in Exchange 2003 will be hard to convince to use Squirrel...

Recently I've had a go at putting together alternative mail solutions for Windoze. I've installed and tried several mail/webmail solutions and most webmails have problems handling odd message formats. Multi-part messages, multi-byte charactersets etc, are not that simple to do well.

One alternative I've bumped into is egroupware which looks very promising and not just as a webmail (it has 2 webmails and one is a Squirrel hack...).

But if it's going to be a light-weight, integratable webmail solution, how about NOCC?

User avatar
rabol
Normal user
Normal user
Posts: 63
Joined: 2004-02-06 15:38
Location: Farsoe, Denmark
Contact:

Postby rabol » 2004-10-20 18:50

Hi

You are absolute right, it’s not easy to create a new web mail client.

I have also tried several web mail clients, some better than others, SquirrelMail works almost out of the box AFIK, but lake integration, look and feel. I have tried to contact the SquirrelMail developers list, but so far mails just bounces from the list, and the list owner does not answer ;-(

NOCC, can't handle complex messages.

OWA... well, it's VERY nice I use it every day to read my microsoft.com mails ;-)

The reason that I would like a new web mail is to have one the works perfect together with hMailServer, and by that supporting hMailServer as I think it's THE best open source mail server for windows, and I don't like MS Exchange ;-)

The last 2 days I have been playing with the IMAP extension for PHP, and created a few classes, and I’m able to browse/edit/create mailboxes/folders show messages headers and simple messages

Best
Steen

bentman78
New user
New user
Posts: 2
Joined: 2004-10-27 15:35

Postby bentman78 » 2004-10-27 15:43

denlun wrote:Before running off and hammering out new webmails, what webmails have ppl tried? What works and what doesn't?

Personally I've used Squirrel on Linux for serveral years. Yes it does look dated, but I've never had problems with it. But then again eyecandy "sells". Anyone who's used Bill's Outlook Web Access in Exchange 2003 will be hard to convince to use Squirrel...

Recently I've had a go at putting together alternative mail solutions for Windoze. I've installed and tried several mail/webmail solutions and most webmails have problems handling odd message formats. Multi-part messages, multi-byte charactersets etc, are not that simple to do well.

One alternative I've bumped into is egroupware which looks very promising and not just as a webmail (it has 2 webmails and one is a Squirrel hack...).

But if it's going to be a light-weight, integratable webmail solution, how about NOCC?


I hate OWA, my comany uses it and it is terrible. Someone posted a Squirrelmail hack on this page and the defulat install is fantastic. Of course you have to use apache instead of IIS, but with a few tweaks it will probably work with IIS too.

I don't think the interface is anymore dated then yahoomail or MSN for that matter. I would like to see a native ASP version though, just for ease of use.

one alternative also is to run squirellmail on different server.

Polk
New user
New user
Posts: 16
Joined: 2010-02-16 05:06

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby Polk » 2010-02-16 05:11

Why didn't anyone mention AfterLogic WebMail? They seem to be nice. I would want to know if there are any automation tools to have hMail server create a Webmail accounts?

abgar
Normal user
Normal user
Posts: 71
Joined: 2005-03-23 09:33
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re:

Postby abgar » 2010-02-20 19:37

rabol wrote:The look and feel is not up to date
It's hard to integrate into existing sites

I agree. It looks ancient.
Polk wrote:Why didn't anyone mention AfterLogic WebMail?

I am just testing it. Looks very modern and elegant. Installation is very easy on Windows and Linux as well - only thing is to create Mysql account/ base and PHP 5.1 up on server side.

More here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17511

cmillens
New user
New user
Posts: 3
Joined: 2009-10-06 05:57

Re: why a new webmail

Postby cmillens » 2010-02-25 15:27

gensplejs wrote:why a new web mail interface at all????
squirrelMail works just fine.


Except I can't get squirrelMail to RUN on my IIS Server 2008 R2 server :x

Polk
New user
New user
Posts: 16
Joined: 2010-02-16 05:06

Re: why a new webmail

Postby Polk » 2010-02-25 15:30

cmillens wrote:
gensplejs wrote:why a new web mail interface at all????
squirrelMail works just fine.


Except I can't get squirrelMail to RUN on my IIS Server 2008 R2 server :x


squirrelMail is UGLY. am I wrong?

User avatar
dzekas
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 2486
Joined: 2005-10-13 21:28
Location: Lithuania

Re: why a new webmail

Postby dzekas » 2010-02-25 16:06

Polk wrote:squirrelMail is UGLY. am I wrong?

Yes, you are. "ugly" is personal opinion and not something that can be agreed by anybody.

SquirrelMail is not ugly. Interface is simple and does not match your personal taste. If you don't like SquirrelMail, you can always use other webmail or write your own.

I've made my webmail choice more than ten years ago and I never regret it.

If AfterLogic WebMail is nice, then maybe they can fix copyrights on their PHP webmail scripts. GPL does not permit removal of copyrights.

cmillens wrote:Except I can't get squirrelMail to RUN on my IIS Server 2008 R2 server :x

Have you tried asking for help on SquirrelMail mailing list or IRC instead of complaining about it on unrelated third party forum?

Polk
New user
New user
Posts: 16
Joined: 2010-02-16 05:06

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby Polk » 2010-02-25 16:31

Thanks for your post. Yes. It's totally my personal opinion. I do like easy and simple things. For example current hotmail is too much too, but for some people it's beautiful. I do like gmail's interface. some people will say it's ugly. so, yes, you are right.

User avatar
mattg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2007-06-14 05:12
Location: 'The Outback' Australia

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby mattg » 2010-02-26 14:38

You do realise that this thread was started some five and a half years ago...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Polk
New user
New user
Posts: 16
Joined: 2010-02-16 05:06

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby Polk » 2010-02-26 23:42

mattg wrote:You do realise that this thread was started some five and a half years ago...


Absolutely, but the problem is still current.
Thanks.

User avatar
mattg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13235
Joined: 2007-06-14 05:12
Location: 'The Outback' Australia

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby mattg » 2010-02-27 03:11

Errr what problem?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Polk
New user
New user
Posts: 16
Joined: 2010-02-16 05:06

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby Polk » 2010-02-27 04:08

mattg wrote:Errr what problem?


Well :) Absence of native webmail i guess...

^DooM^
Site Admin
Posts: 13853
Joined: 2005-07-29 16:18
Location: UK

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby ^DooM^ » 2010-02-27 04:34

You will be waiting for a very long time if you want native webmail. there are loads of webmail apps out there to choose from.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

Polk
New user
New user
Posts: 16
Joined: 2010-02-16 05:06

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby Polk » 2010-02-27 04:45

^DooM^ wrote:You will be waiting for a very long time if you want native webmail. there are loads of webmail apps out there to choose from.


Yes, I know. They all work via IMAP. But I'd love to have the one that will be able to configure 100% of settings of hmailserver.

User avatar
dzekas
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 2486
Joined: 2005-10-13 21:28
Location: Lithuania

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby dzekas » 2010-02-27 09:19

Polk wrote:
^DooM^ wrote:You will be waiting for a very long time if you want native webmail. there are loads of webmail apps out there to choose from.


Yes, I know. They all work via IMAP. But I'd love to have the one that will be able to configure 100% of settings of hmailserver.


100% of server settings is not something that email client should be able to do.

Some webmails are modular and you can write extensions that add needed controls.

I think scripts that create accounts are available in Scripts section. If you want to ask question or advertise some webmail, you should not use unrelated 6 year old thread. Start new topic or use search and find related topic.

Polk
New user
New user
Posts: 16
Joined: 2010-02-16 05:06

Re: Web mail for hMailServer

Postby Polk » 2010-02-27 11:08

dzekas wrote:
Polk wrote:
^DooM^ wrote:You will be waiting for a very long time if you want native webmail. there are loads of webmail apps out there to choose from.


Yes, I know. They all work via IMAP. But I'd love to have the one that will be able to configure 100% of settings of hmailserver.


100% of server settings is not something that email client should be able to do.

Some webmails are modular and you can write extensions that add needed controls.

I think scripts that create accounts are available in Scripts section. If you want to ask question or advertise some webmail, you should not use unrelated 6 year old thread. Start new topic or use search and find related topic.


Thanks for your reply. I have no interest to advertise any webmail. I don't see any good ones and via search (as you suggested) found this thread.
If you don't want anyone to post here, you can lock it. Otherwise I post relevant questions here.


Return to “Scripting”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest