Removing XP, Vista and Server 2003 support in 5.7

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
martin
Developer
Developer

Removing XP, Vista and Server 2003 support in 5.7

Post by martin » 2019-08-08 19:06

I will remove the compatibility with XP, Vista and Windows Server 2003 in hMailServer 5.7.

Going forward, when a new hMailServer version is released I will drop support for any OS which is no longer supported by Microsoft. Windows Server 2003 for example hasn't been receiving security updates since 2015.

Let me know if you have objections.
Martin Knafve
martin@hmailserver.com
https://twitter.com/knafve

jimimaseye

Re: Removing XP, Vista and Server 2003 support in 5.7

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-08-08 23:28

If you remove support, does that mean it will no longer run?

I imagine there are many that are using legacy OS's for running hmailserver as a standalone mailserver. Given that hMailserver is free, and not upgrading (just because M$ forces you) also remains free, I can fairly see why this would be the choice of many. Removing support for running on Server 2003/XP etc might well alienate those and you effectively force people to invest (effectively cutting off their choice to resist forced expenditure due to running windows).

On behalf of freedom of choice (within the Windows environment), if it means stopping HMS running on these OS's then personally Im against the idea if it can be avoided.
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2019-08-09 00:00

Those can still run 5.6.x, not?
You can't expect when using an ancient no longer supported OS the software that runs on it is latest of the latest
Want the latest, update your OS!

And for what i have seen it is only installer changes that check OS compatibility
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-08-09 10:32

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-08-08 23:28
Given that hMailserver is free, and not upgrading (just because M$ forces you) also remains free, I can fairly see why this would be the choice of many. Removing support for running on Server 2003/XP etc might well alienate those and you effectively force people to invest (effectively cutting off their choice to resist forced expenditure due to running windows).
I would bet for the larger portion of those people it's more about "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and less about the money. The amazing thing about this software is it's reliability. Once in a while i see questions here from people like that with systems 10 + years old and the only reason they upgrade is because of a hardware failure or something in the environment changed forcing them to follow suite.

I would guess most of the people that are not routinely upgrading windows are also not routinely upgrading hmailserver.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2019-08-09 13:09

There's nothing inherent in hMailServer 5.7 (right now) which doesn't work with 64-bit versions of XP/2013 and Vista. The main reasons I would want to drop it is:

* To actually support it continuously is quite a lot of work test-wise, because I would need to test features and database connectivity with those versions of Windows. Like upgrading from old versions, MySQL, PGSQL, MSSQL.

* Another aspect is compatibility with 3rd party libraries. Boost (which hMailServer relies on) relies on Windows API for cryptography. For 5.6.8, I had to explicitly configure Boost to use older and I think more unsafe API's for cryptography. So even if you run Windows 10, hMailServer will use older API's to be backwards compatible with Windows XP. The same applies to the usage of OpenSSL, where hMailServer has been compiled with flags to enable weak ciphers, because those are the only available on Windows XP. (The user can disable weak ciphers in the UI, but there's still a risk of bad config). These things are drawbacks for hMailserver users, regardless of Windows versions.

* Similarly, as long as hMailServer is XP compatible, it must continue to use an old version of .NET and can't take advantage of newer features (like high DPI, etc).

I could of course remove the blocker in the installer and just show a message dialog that "hMailServer is not tested on your version of Windows", but that may have negative impact if some user is running it in production and then upgrade and everything stops working. 5.6(.0) was released 5 years ago so I think at this point moving on is OK. Users still on XP are probably unlikely to "jump on" 5.7 as soon as it gets out.
Martin Knafve
martin@hmailserver.com
https://twitter.com/knafve

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-08-10 05:34

5.7 = 64 bit and no XP or Vista = great I reckon
If they want to use XP or Vista or server 2003 they can stay on 5.6.8 or lower

Most commercial software won't work on Server 2008, or anything less than Windows 7 SP1, and some require much newer OSs
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-08-10 09:58

There are also first Versions of Windows 10 which are now out of support.
I wrote a little summary about which Win10 Versions are now out of support or about to enter its end of life, see:

https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 50#p203759