How to have POP/POP3 client retrieve both Inbox and Junk

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
chjfth
Normal user
Normal user

How to have POP/POP3 client retrieve both Inbox and Junk

Post by chjfth » 2010-03-30 10:45

Hello, dear hMailServer dev team,

I've recently deployed hMailServer 5.3.2 as my corporate mail server. I find hMailServer is a great piece of software and it is capable of almost everything we expect from a mail server.

But now I have a question. I have enabled some anti-spam mechanism in hMailserver and defined a hMailserver rule to move every [SPAM] marked mail into Junk folder(IMAP folder) as per user. Now, it is good for our users using IMAP clients to easily notice there are some [SPAM] mails in the Junk folder; however, for POP3 clients, they will not get mails in their Junk fold unless, e.g., they login to Webmail to see them.

I really don't want to enforce all our users to switch from POP3 to IMAP so to change their Email using habit.

So, my question is: Can I have POP3 clients receive their mails both in Inbox folder and Junk folder?

Thank you in advice.

mattg

Re: How to have POP/POP3 client retrieve both Inbox and Junk

Post by mattg » 2010-03-30 10:58

I think that this is set in the mail client.

Send / Receive settings...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

erise
New user
New user

Post by erise » 2010-03-30 11:06

i don't think it's possible...

maybe you can create another account like username_spam@domain and create a rule to foward spam mail to the other account and with the email client to fetch and move with a rule to spam folder...it's doesn't sound much pretty... it's better to move to imap

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-03-30 11:13

chjfth wrote:So, my question is: Can I have POP3 clients receive their mails both in Inbox folder and Junk folder?
If your clients use POP3 and you still want to do server side spam filtering, don't move spam to Junk. Keep it in inbox and only tag subject.

Your POP3 users can set filters in their email programs and move all messages with [SPAM] or [**JUNK**] tag to their Junk folders.

POP3 protocol does not support folders. If you want multiple folders, you use IMAP or you filter things on client.

chjfth
Normal user
Normal user

Post by chjfth » 2010-03-30 16:53

Hi, mattg, I don't think you are right, because POP3 client can not know what folders do a server side mail box has, so, this must be a matter of server side control.

For dzekas, thanks for reply, and I've thought above exactly what you proposed. However, your solution is not good enough, because, in this way, those IMAP clients would not get the benefit of server-side auto filtering, that is, EVERY IMAP clients(users of Thunderbird) then have to manually set up their filters.

I think, it is welcome that hMailServer can provide an option to designate mails from which IMAP folders should be retrieved by POP3 clients.

Waiting for an hMailServer developer response.

DeanoX
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DeanoX » 2010-03-30 16:58

Feel free to write up a feature request, in the feature request forums.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-03-30 17:05

No POP3 has no concept of folders. If you want folders use IMAP that's what it is designed for.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-03-30 17:21

^DooM^ wrote:No POP3 has no concept of folders. If you want folders use IMAP that's what it is designed for.
He wants to use both IMAP and POP3 and apply different global server side rules for clients based on their connection type. IMAP clients need "move to folder" and POP3 clients need "tag subject".This is only reasonable setup without exceeding IMAP/POP3 protocol limits.

If POP3 is set to provide access to several IMAP folders, it might have problems with message IDs.

natster
Normal user
Normal user

Post by natster » 2010-04-01 11:24

Surely all [spam] messages regardless of IMAP or POP3 are being tagged anyway. Those users who are using POP3 can configure rules on client-side to filter into folders when they receive the emails.

I was of the understanding that if you connect via POP3 it will download all messages in the account including all those that may of been sorted into folders and not just those in the 'Inbox'. Is this not correct?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-04-01 12:00

I don't know. I would assume only emails in the inbox would be retrieved. Test it.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ