Support for sieve protocol in hMailServer

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.

Do you want this feature?

Yes
97%
No
3%

Total votes: 30

brashquido
Normal user
Normal user

Support for sieve protocol in hMailServer

Post by brashquido » 2010-03-30 01:26

The Sieve protocol is a language for filtering e-mail messages independent of the underlying architecture making Sieve scripts very portable and gives application developers a common interface to develop their applications for. For instance there are several Sieve based plugins for both the RoundCube and SquirrelMail webmail clients which utilise this protocol to allow users to create their own filters for managing email, much like rules in Outlook or filters in Thunderbird (there is also a Sieve add on for Thunderbird). Implementing Sieve on hMailServer would be a great addition for users who heavily utilise the IMAP feature in hMailServer and require the ability to manage server side email filtering regardless of what IMAP email client they use.
Dominic Ryan
Microsoft IIS MVP
IIS Aid

gotzboost
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Support for sieve protocol in hMailServer

Post by gotzboost » 2010-04-07 08:40

How would they store their rules in hMail with IMAP?
I didn't think there was a IMAP command for rules or anything of that nature? If there is what client supports it, using IMAP?

brashquido
Normal user
Normal user

Post by brashquido » 2010-04-08 02:26

hMail already has the ability to create rules on a global and account level, and isn't restricted to just IMAP. Administering these rules however is currently hMail specific and done via the web admin interface or the regular admin interface. Adding some sort of abstraction layer here so that the existing hMail server rules engine is able to utilise the sieve protocol will remove the necessity for developers to have hMail specific knowledge before being able to develop scripts.
Dominic Ryan
Microsoft IIS MVP
IIS Aid

gotzboost
Normal user
Normal user

Post by gotzboost » 2010-04-08 07:58

My question is how would a imap client edit rules stored in a sieve language on the server?

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-04-08 08:03

gotzboost wrote:My question is how would a imap client edit rules stored in a sieve language on the server?
Sieve is language used in server side filtering rules. Supported by Cyrus and Dovecot. sieved is a special server. Not related to IMAP. Client logs into it, can retrieve list of server side filtering rules and can modify them. Email program, which can edit sieve rules, is also Sieve client.

If hMailServer provides sieved backend access to server side filters, any sieve client can use it. If it does not, email clients have to use DOM or SQL to modify rules on server and such code would be specific to hMailServer.

gotzboost
Normal user
Normal user

Post by gotzboost » 2010-04-08 08:40

Ahh... well that would be cool. I didn't see the protocol portion, I just saw the language part for it. Right now I have a custom DotNetPanel provider i wrote that allows users to edit their account. But having something like that would make it easier for them to do it in whatever email client supports sieve.

slingshot
New user
New user

Post by slingshot » 2015-05-27 18:01

Any news on this now as hMailServer has gone openSource? :)

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-05-28 00:06

hMailserver was ALWAYS opensource, except for 5.0 > 5.3.X

All ver 4.X and prior were open source. all since 5.4 are open source
All in the middle were closed source - but free as in beer

Anyway, this request has a voting panel. Add your vote if you like.
It is a long way from the top of the list - so I don't expect that anything will happen anytime soon.
https://www.hmailserver.com/feature_voting/
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

danswartz
Normal user
Normal user

Post by danswartz » 2015-05-28 21:02

Yes, this would be great. No more vbscripting, and able to have clients do things to tweak message handling. This is the single thing I miss the most from when I was using dovecot.