Setup a hMailServer rule using Outlook or a webmail plugin

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
mishoddt
New user
New user

Setup a hMailServer rule using Outlook or a webmail plugin

Post by mishoddt » 2009-10-23 23:20

Hello!

Is it possible to setup a rule (on account, not a global) using Outlook add-on or a plugin for Roundcube or SquirrelMail? I need a way to give the users the option to setup their on the server rules like it's done in MS Exchange or the labels in Gmail.

Thanks!

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Setup a hMailServer rule using Outlook or a webmail plugin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-24 00:06

You can setup account rules with hmails web administrator. I am 99% sure your users can login to that with their email login details and setup rules.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

mishoddt
New user
New user

Post by mishoddt » 2009-10-24 01:31

Thanks for the fast reply.

But no, only user with "Server" administration level is able to see and change the rules by accounts. The "User" level don't give you many of options and the "Domain" level allow you to set up only the global rules.

Also, even if it's possible to access the rules through the web admin interface it's not user friendly at all to ask people to open it and administrate their accounst from there. :(

Any other idea?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-24 01:41

Other than writing your own interface nope sorry cant help.

roi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by roi » 2009-10-24 10:50

hMS rules are pretty powerful and non-intuitive. In the hands of the inexperienced or ill-informed, erroneous rules can be quite disruptive. Unless you are ready to intervene at every account's rule problem, I don't think it is a good idea to have accounts direct access to rules. This can be a "help-desk" nightmare. Even the "previledges" of domain (admin) level to the rules is quite scary to me.

Well... if you can make a web interface to allow accounts to make rules with from, subject, body "contains" to move email to existing IMAP folders, that might be realistic. Anything more may be asking for more trouble than one can handle. I'm actually happy that accounts have no direct access to rules in the current incarnation of hMS rules.

Outlook Express does have quite an acceptable list of options in it's rules functions (and it also has move to folder functionality.)
hMS: 5.2.1-B361 | DB: Internal MySQL from hMS 4.4 | OS: W2K3 1Gb VM

mishoddt
New user
New user

Post by mishoddt » 2009-10-25 10:11

Yes, you are right about the direct access to rules is not a good idea at all, but I was asking for a way to apply the set of predefined rules offered from the Outlook, etc. Because, what happens if you are not able to use your email client for a few days, but only the webmail, or by any reason its rules settings are gone, you will finish with a lot of unsorted mail in the inbox.

Thanks for the answers. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer and can't write anything like this, but I'll ask for such a plug in in the Squirrelmail and Roundcube forums. Someone can start working on it.

Thanks again!

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-25 12:00

If you goto options in squirrelmail you should have a MessageFilters link
Filtering enables messages with different criteria to be automatically filtered into different folders for easier organization.
This will do what you need. If you don't have it on your squirrelmail, install the message filter plugin.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-27 19:31

Actually you can have your users add rules with the web admin

Set this in the config file.

Code: Select all

Possible values:

0 - All users on the server should be allowed access.
      1 - Domain administrators and server administrators should be
          allowed access.
      2 - Only server administrators should be allowed access.

$hmail_config['rule_editing_level']   = 0;