Another hMailServer Download Site?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
roi
Normal user
Normal user

Another hMailServer Download Site?

Post by roi » 2009-10-22 16:07

While browsing, I came across the following download site for obviously an older build of hMailServer 5.3. Is this site authorized by Martin?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/S ... rver.shtml

Because hMailServer.com's download page is off line, I'm afraid many might be directed to this site instead. What's up with this one?
hMS: 5.2.1-B361 | DB: Internal MySQL from hMS 4.4 | OS: W2K3 1Gb VM

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Another hMailServer Download Site?

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-22 16:31

The download link from here http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/h ... 36167.html directs back to download.hMailserver.com

Free advertising? :)
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-10-22 16:34

I suspect its not authorised ... was never on Martins official links page anyway.

Softpedia just seem to nick all software going and offer it for download from what I've seen in the past ...

I'd wait till the official links page is back up unless you have no install at all running.

I mailed Martin (before the downloads were taken offline) about setting up a mirror and didnt hear anything back, so guess he wants to keep one distribution stream that he can control (i.e. no worries about people messing with the code and offering dodgy versions) ... which is understandable.

Cheers

S.

roi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by roi » 2009-10-22 16:39

If the download is still coming from hMailServer.com, I suppose it's less to worry about; although the fact that the build offerred is not in sync with reality is not good. The free advertising is also good, but imho, it would have been better if the link was to the top page of hMailServer.com .

rjain15
New user
New user

Post by rjain15 » 2009-10-22 17:00

Can some one point me to a downloads site for hMailServer?

I have installed 3.5 on my laptop and I want to use the same or above on my desktop

Thanks
RJ

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-22 17:05

3.5 or 5.3?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-10-22 21:26

Well, there's no "official" download sites other than hMailServer.com. Which just means that other sites will probably often be out-of-date, publish old versions and so on.

sheffters, sorry for not having gotten back to you yet. I still have your email from the 6'th in my inbox (which means it's "pending answer"). There's a few reasons I'm not actively looking for mirrors.
  • I still believe I have plenty of bandwidth over for this site. There's not many users complaining about the download speed, so there's not really a big problem which needs a solution today. (I may be wrong, some users may have very slow download speeds but at least no one complains to me about it).
  • I used to have mirrors, but it was a pain to keep them up to date. Sure, it only takes a minute to upload a file to a FTP server, but if you're going to upload to ten servers it takes some time every time there's a new build. This can of course be automated using scripts, but then I'll have to spend time on that and time on troubleshooting when the uploads doesn't work. When I did this manually before, sometimes the other servers weren't up and running all the time.
  • When I had mirrors, one of the mirror owners modified the set up executable so that when you started the set up, you just got a message box saying something like "hMailServer sucks". If I offer link to other sites, I have to be 100% sure that no-one will ever abuse it. Of course, I don't believe you would do such a thing but if I blindly accept mirrors, it will happen sooner or later.

(In my to do list, I have an item that I should remove the word "mirror" from the site.)

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-10-22 23:46

elo,

No worries ... there all good reasons. :)

Re that old mirror ... some people just suck :(

If you ever want one the offers there, I'd just scan the download page once a day with a script to grab the latest ... if not, no worries :)

Cheers

S.

roi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by roi » 2009-10-23 02:05

I'm so happy to see the download page back and know that this means everything is back to A-OKAY . Thank you for your hard work. Although check-sums are, I think overkill, wouldn't it be nice to know the filesystem filesize of the install executables to reasure downloaders they are getting the legit copy.

Sometime ago, when I was searching for a utility, I found several download sites claiming the same version/build, but all of them had different file sizes. I opted for the smallest one with the logic that the bigger ones have probably been tinckered with extra code. I think it is realtively difficult (but not impossible) to add code without increasing the size so I normally choose the file that is smallest when I have several download sites for a particular software file version/build to download.

Short of saving enough to donate (which will eventually happen, I am hopeful), I can also offer to place in my websites a small banner that perhaps can read "Our email is powered by hMailServer" which links to your website welcome page. If you create an official banner that hMS admins can add to their web pages (and webmail), this should be a great way for all of us to endorse your great work.

bescher
Normal user
Normal user

Post by bescher » 2009-10-23 10:34

I agree on the banner and the links. I would also offer my services for a mirror.
I believe this is a great product and I love it. After being on Post Office (whicj I liked) then Argo, then
Mailenable (very short time) and Now Hmail there is no comparison. I would love to see more filters such
as the type that you can do with ewall (A country block that all you had to do was check off which countrys to block for example) but this is fine. I love it and thanks to Martin and to David Fitch (who brought me to Hmail) for everything
and yes I also want to contribute more, not only knowledge but dobations. But both are in short supply at this time

Thanks Martin

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-23 12:09

Banners would be cool. Perhaps you can ask the community to create some and choose the ones you like the best :)

CarlUman
New user
New user

Post by CarlUman » 2009-12-18 19:18

Well, I WAS thinking about moving off HM to mailEnable but after seeing how many people left ME to HM and the problems listed in their forums I'm not sure I want to. I really wanted a nice webmail client and list server but the issues they have maybe not.

.... so if you end up with banners I might be interested in posting a few to help bring more people to hamil :D
... now off to find a nice webmail server that runs on IIS.

Keep up the good work Martin... I feel another donation may be headed your way soon.

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-12-18 19:53

nice webmail server that runs on IIS
http://hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15847

some ideas here for ones that work

S.

MP3Freak
Normal user
Normal user

Post by MP3Freak » 2009-12-19 13:53

Just in case it could become handy to someone, here are most production releases and some fairly stable betas since quite a long time:

ftp://ftp.handymail.ch/pub/hmailserver/packages/