Is there any FREE Antivirus for Windows Server 2003?

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
black zero
Normal user
Normal user

Is there any FREE Antivirus for Windows Server 2003?

Post by black zero » 2009-04-26 12:58

That supports resident shield.

And I hope it's completely free... -.-

jchl118
New user
New user

Re: Is there any FREE Antivirus for Windows Server 2003?

Post by jchl118 » 2009-05-12 17:02

black zero wrote:That supports resident shield.

And I hope it's completely free... -.-
I wouldn't use any free AV on w2k3 server
w2k3 is not a cheap OS to use free AV. it might cause w2k3 crash more often

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-05-12 18:29

I use win2k3 server and ClamAV perfectly fine. Uptimes well in excess of 200 days.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

johndow
Normal user
Normal user

Post by johndow » 2009-05-14 23:40

Clamwin is a "on demand" or "sheduled" scanner. No resident shield for files which are comming over the network.

Try the following:
Avast (was possible in the past, don't know actual)
Comodo (when you install the free firewall it asks for antivirus, should be a resident shield)

If it does not work, try to install one of the both at the local machines.

AVG Free is working on workstations only as a resident shield, but is prohibited for commercial usage... :cry: :x :?

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2009-05-18 02:03

DONT install comodo antivirus on a server machine.
WONT works. or better can cause SERIOUS trouble to your stability.
a REAL example?

i wont be able to install ms sql 2005 express advanced services or , sometimes, the hmailserver v4 beta.

no error. just wont go ahed.

disabling the realtime scanner the installer goes fine.

JohnG
New user
New user

Post by JohnG » 2009-05-18 10:06

jchl118 wrote:I wouldn't use any free AV on w2k3 server
w2k3 is not a cheap OS to use free AV. it might cause w2k3 crash more often
I'm absolutely fascinated by this comment, especially as you appear to have chosen a free mail server over one of the commercial offerings, such as Exchange. What does the cost of the OS have to do with choosing software? Even more importantly, why do you think free, and perhaps even cheap, software may cause the OS to crash more often?

I use 4 different AV products on a range of operating systems, 2 free and 2 commercial. Only the non-free ones (Sophos and McAfee) have ever crashed on my. ClamAV, including the ClamWin variant, works perfectly on any OS it supports.

The most stable software I use is all Open Source (read: free). On the other hand, highly unstable software, such Microsoft Office and most Adobe products are absurdly expensive.

You can ignore the wild claims made by parties such as Microsoft. When talking about software in general there is no direct correlation between the quality and stability of software and its cost, nor has there ever been in the 35 years I've been in the game. Needless to say, there are numerous exceptions on both side of the fence.

Reality: Free software is rarely rushed out just to meet a deadline, meaning there is more time to develop and debug. Commercial software is seldom well debugged because it IS rushed out to meet a deadline.

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2009-05-22 10:53

it's not true..

there's freeware or opensource project which are a good piece of software and there's a lot of freeware garbage badcoded.

in my experience i've nerver found a good FREEWARE antivirus which runs on win2k3 server system with real time scan.

I believe i've found one in the past, ( comodo ) unless we found a corrupted db and an I/O error during mssql installation.

there's a lot of CHEAP antivirus and still good , but AFAIK there isnt a good freeware antivirus.

AVG fileserver edition it's cheap and works with hmailserver if you need one.

black zero
Normal user
Normal user

Post by black zero » 2009-05-25 05:00

Maybe I'm too cheap to buy one, but this time I am really out of budget hence I've been searching for a free Server AV. I'd reconsider the budget for AVG, though.

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2009-05-26 01:31

yeah, time ago i've found it for 70 bucks.
not so much for a server license.

a33e
New user
New user

Post by a33e » 2009-08-09 04:03

black zero wrote:Maybe I'm too cheap to buy one, but this time I am really out of budget hence I've been searching for a free Server AV. I'd reconsider the budget for AVG, though.
And it is not only reason for using free software. I've been in a situation where i was working on a pretty good customer which had bad economical situation at that moment -and still there was need to get some things done without buying anything.

Pirate software was out of question, of course.
In my home too.. if there is one area of piratism that i can honestly say that i don't use it is antivirus products. :D

So there was few servers without any AV products so i installed Clamwin. It worked well but was lacking heuristic virus detection capabilities like it is been said here allready.

Some one said that comodo fw seemed to be ok too but installing SQL didn't successed.. it was not said if there was ever tried to disable comodo, install SQL and enabling it again? then adding services it needed to allowed programs?

Comodo detects so much stuff that windows itself is using that it needs patience to configure it correctly.. =/

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-08-09 11:02

Comodo is good for a home AV but i wouldn't install it on a server, I don't even think it will install on win 2k3+ It is too verbal to be any use on a server as it has AV, FW and Defense+ which basically watches important system files that are often used by naughty programs for hooking.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-08-09 15:20

I think comodo is only free for personal use .. and afik doesnt install on a server.

Clamwin is good for free. Used it for ages.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>uptime
\\SCAT-TEMP has been up for: 375 day(s), 19 hour(s), 21 minute(s), 39 second(s)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>

works quite happily for me.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2009-08-09 15:21

There are antiviruses based on clamav that offer realtime scanning.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamrt/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/moonav/

But this is a server we are talking about. Why do you need onaccess scanner on server? You don't run unchecked code on server. On access scanner will slow server and will increase server's load. If you are nutty enough to run onaccess scanner on server, you deserve to pay price for that.

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2009-08-09 17:48

Besides, using a on-access scanner at a server will most likely cause problems because usually they offer either to delete/quarantaine a offending file, deny access or do nothing - none of which is a practical option for a (mail)server. There are also scanners which allow to hook the related ports and insert a header into the mail, but in many cases this involves a (forced) proxy which is also a rather impracticable solution for a mailserver.

On a side note, ClamAV already includes 'heuristics' of several sorts, e.g. the anti-phishing heuristics or a PE dumper which works in conjuntion with the executable unpackers and also a preliminary x86 disassembler (although not enabled in the production releases yet). Full PE heuristics is planned for version 0.96 which is scheduled for February 2010.

Best regards,

Nico

stephenmorphey
New user
New user

Post by stephenmorphey » 2009-09-02 09:02

Hi Black Zero.

Why You should need for a free anti virus? I think You should buy a license version AV for your win2003 OS, that is only the right way to keep your system, safe then you can update that AV day to day.
Well I think AVG freeware is only available as cheap but as my point of view may be it will not do work properly. Another one is the Comodo which is free but it is not safe to install on server. Try the original anti virus which is license version. Hope it will work good.

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2009-10-06 17:20

i've tried again the comodo suite

DAMNED CRAPPY SOFTWARE..

please DONT DONT DONT use in a server envr. it's useless.
the Defense+ block most server core processing if under heavy load, the AV stop tmp files, the firewall block some request even if the ports re open and configured correctly. ( i think it's related to the defense+)

conclusions :

use , if you want, on desktop but i suggest other products instead..

rocknolds
New user
New user

Post by rocknolds » 2010-06-17 11:14

hello caspar,

Windows Server 2008 Web edition | Hmailserver Version 5.3 | MSSQL 2008 | IIS 7.0 | PHP 5.2.9 | AfterLogic 4.9

what anti-virus are you using for the hmailserver?

thanks

Caspar
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Caspar » 2010-06-17 13:52

rocknolds wrote:hello caspar,

Windows Server 2008 Web edition | Hmailserver Version 5.3 | MSSQL 2008 | IIS 7.0 | PHP 5.2.9 | AfterLogic 4.9

what anti-virus are you using for the hmailserver?

thanks
Currently i do not use any anti-virus system on my server with Hmailserver. i don't think this is necessary since people need to protect their own systems, and most viruses only will run if you open them (and since its not a workstation, that will most likely not happen).
If you have strange problems or errors use the log analyzer! http://log.damnation.org.uk
Join us on IRC! http://hmailserver.com/irc_fullscreen.php

maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Post by maggiore81 » 2010-09-19 22:38

sheffters wrote:I think comodo is only free for personal use .. and afik doesnt install on a server.

Clamwin is good for free. Used it for ages.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>uptime
\\SCAT-TEMP has been up for: 375 day(s), 19 hour(s), 21 minute(s), 39 second(s)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop>

works quite happily for me.
You never did windows update then... ?
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--
Spadhausen ISP
admin (at) spadhausen . com

javim
New user
New user

Post by javim » 2018-09-30 11:22

Hello Black Zero.

Why You should need for a free anti virus? I think You should buy a license version AV for your win2003 OS, that is only the right way to keep your system, safe then you can update that AV day to day.
Well I think AVG freeware is only available as cheap but as my point of view may be it will not do work properly. Another one is the Comodo which is free but it is not safe to install on server. Try the original anti virus which is license version. Hope it will work good.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2018-10-01 00:48

WOW 8 years since last post in this thread

That's not even close to a record here, but why would you bother
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

erkc29
New user
New user

Post by erkc29 » 2019-01-09 09:10

I don't think so there is any.