A message box 'Backup has been completed'.

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.

Do you need this feature?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 9

black zero
Normal user
Normal user

A message box 'Backup has been completed'.

Post by black zero » 2008-08-10 01:51

After the backup procedures are completed.

This applies too for restore procedures.

Shiloh
Normal user
Normal user

Re: A message box 'Backup has been completed'.

Post by Shiloh » 2008-08-10 16:55

I definitely do not want a message box popping up on a server. I strongly prefer to simply have the OnBackupCompleted routine scripted to send an email to me to let me know. Since it is a function you can edit in the EventHandlers.vbs file, I guess you could set up your instance to pop up a message box. I would not personally recommend doing that, though. Message boxes have no place on servers.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2008-08-10 17:16

I agree. an email would be much better. My servers are located about 400 miles away from where I work so a popup message box would be useless to me.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

mattg

Post by mattg » 2008-08-11 04:16

Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2008-08-11 09:17

Oh I forgot about that script, nice find :)
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

mattg

Post by mattg » 2008-08-11 09:27

I can also see where a 'message box' would be useful.

When you manually choose 'backup' or 'restore' from the administrator, you don't get any feedback that the task is completed. I normally know by the CPU usage, and confirm by checking the log.

The only time that anyone would use the administrator to 'backup' or 'restore' is from the local machine or another in the same network. In these circumstances a 'message box' would be nice.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2010-04-27 06:45

A yes vote was cast here.

A big add-on: A WARNING or confirmation about the fact that ALL email in data folder is going to be erased! I found this out on accident when I was testing a method of importing domains/users from my old mail server in batches by editing the XML in the backup zip. Yeah the import worked & there were the domains/users I wanted added but it was a shocker to realize my Data folder had just been wiped clean without warning. :cry: Luckily it was just a test server but I feel sorry for anyone who did that on a live server with real data. (Yes I realize we should backup regularly, especially before upgrades & major changes but IMO a warning is still warranted when data deletion occurs)
Thx
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***