hMailServer 5.0, build 279 (Alpha)

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
martin
Developer
Developer

hMailServer 5.0, build 279 (Alpha)

Post by martin » 2007-12-02 23:20

A new 5.0 alpha is now available:
http://download.hmailserver.com/dev/hMa ... 0-B279.exe

This build can only be used for testing purposes, and you should absolutely not upgrade an existing production installation to this build.

The following changes have been made:
  • During installation, it's now possible to disable creation of a start menu group.
  • Fixes have been made to the SSL-support.
  • The installation program installs a few new unused files into the hMailServer bin directory to resolve licensing issues.
  • When choosing to install hMailServer client tools, OpenSSL client libraries are installed as well.
  • When adding a new TCP/IP port, it's no longer possible to click Save unless you've entered a port number.
Last edited by martin on 2008-01-14 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Slug

Post by Slug » 2007-12-03 07:33

I know I am jumping the gun a little bit here, but is there going to be a blacklist added to V5 ?

Also Martin you must have missed this question :P

I noticed when I did the upgrade to V5 the installer did NOT ask if I wanted to use the internal or external DB. Is this because hMs noticed that an external copy of MySQL was installed on the machine I installed hMs on ?

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers

GlenC
Senior user
Senior user

Post by GlenC » 2007-12-03 13:45

It appears that I have ONE more issue with V5 :roll:

Sometimes, not always, hMail will stall in the middle of a send operation. I think it is more likely with large attachments. Sometimes it stalls during the actual send, and other times it stalls when copying the sent message to the sent folder. I´ve not noticed anything strange in the logs either, it just appears to stop responding I think.

Jeinhor
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Jeinhor » 2007-12-03 14:14

I'm a little curious how SSL is supposed to work. I have a CA on my Win 2003 server. Would it be possible to request a certificate for hMailServer through my own CA? Would every client need to install the root CA for this to work?

Couldn't find any information in the docs, I guess they're not updated with v5 yet?

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-12-03 15:59

Thought I would try the MS SQL CE database instead of the mySQL I had originally used. Used backup to save all settings, removed Hmailserver (B279) and rebooted. Re-Installed B279 and it installed database ok to MSSQL CE. Went to restore settings and it came up with
Runtime Error -2147417851 (800010105)
Method '~' of object '~' failed
and the Administrator exited. Data did not restore.
I can manually enter settings ok.
With debug logs on I get
"ERROR" 1460 "2007-12-03 13:42:05.468" "Severity: 1 (Critical), Code: HM5103, Source: Application::InitInstance, Description: Settings for the database have not been specified. Server startup aborted."
in the Error Log and in the Log File I get
"DEBUG" 540 "2007-12-03 14:01:39.187" "BackupManager::LoadBackup"
"DEBUG" 540 "2007-12-03 14:01:39.250" "BackupManager::~LoadBackup - E2"
"DEBUG" 1380 "2007-12-03 14:01:43.875" "BackupManager::StartRestore()"
"DEBUG" 1556 "2007-12-03 14:02:06.734" "TimedoutConnectionRemoverTask::DoWork()"
Backup had no Domains only Routes specified

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Post by danny6167 » 2007-12-03 17:11

have a look at your settings file in teh hmail directory the log says that i can not find any settings for database. Post the file here and remove ne thing you dont want us to see (passwords)

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-12-03 17:27

Not sure which files you mean but here is Hamilserver.ini

Code: Select all

[Directories]
ProgramFolder=C:\Program Files\hMailServer
DatabaseFolder=C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Database
DataFolder=C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Data
LogFolder=C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Logs
TempFolder=C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Temp
EventFolder=C:\Program Files\hMailServer\Events
[GUILanguages]
ValidLanguages=english,swedish
[database]
type=MSSQLCE
username=
password=[apasswordhere]
passwordencryption=1
port=
server=
database=hMailServer
[Security]
AdministratorPassword=[anotherpassswordhere]
With only passwords removed.
XML File in backup Zip is

Code: Select all

<Backup>
	<BackupInformation Mode="15" Version="hMailServer 5.0-B279" >
		<DataFiles Format="Zip" Size="0" />
	</BackupInformation>
	<Properties>
		<accountcachettl LongValue="300" StringValue="" />
		<adddeliveredtoheader LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<aliascachettl LongValue="60" StringValue="" />
		<allowmailfromnull LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<antispamaddheaderreason LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<antispamaddheaderspam LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<antispamenabled LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<antispamprependsubject LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<antispamprependsubjecttext LongValue="0" StringValue="[SPAM] -" />
		<ascheckhostinhelo LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<ascheckhostinheloscore LongValue="5" StringValue="" />
		<authallowplaintext LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<avaction LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<avclamwindb LongValue="0" StringValue="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\.clamwin\db" />
		<avclamwinenable LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<avclamwinexec LongValue="0" StringValue="C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\clamscan.exe" />
		<avmaxmsgsize LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<avnotifyreceiver LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<avnotifysender LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<awstatsenabled LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<backupdestination LongValue="0" StringValue="C:\" />
		<backupoptions LongValue="15" StringValue="" />
		<customvirusscannerexecutable LongValue="0" StringValue=""C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" --no-boots --sfx --rtp --adware --unsafe --unwanted --pattern --heur --adv-heur --action=none --no-quarantine "%FILE%"" />
		<customviursscannerreturnvalue LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<defaultdomain LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<disconnectinvalidclients LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<distributionlistcachettl LongValue="300" StringValue="" />
		<domaincachettl LongValue="300" StringValue="" />
		<enableattachmentblocking LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<enableimapacl LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<enableimapidle LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<enableimapquota LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<enableimapsort LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<greylistingfinaldelete LongValue="864" StringValue="" />
		<greylistinginitialdelay LongValue="10" StringValue="" />
		<greylistinginitialdelete LongValue="24" StringValue="" />
		<groupcachettl LongValue="60" StringValue="" />
		<hostname LongValue="0" StringValue="mail2.alamoeur.com" />
		<imappublicfoldername LongValue="0" StringValue="Public folders" />
		<logdevice LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<logformat LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<logging LongValue="17" StringValue="" />
		<maskpasswordsinlog LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<maxdelivertythreads LongValue="15" StringValue="" />
		<maximapconnections LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<maximumincorrectcommands LongValue="100" StringValue="" />
		<maxmessagesize LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<maxpop3connections LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<maxsmtpconnections LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<maxsmtprecipientsinbatch LongValue="100" StringValue="" />
		<mirroremailaddress LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<protocolimap LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<protocolpop3 LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<protocolsmtp LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<relaymode LongValue="2" StringValue="" />
		<rulelooplimit LongValue="5" StringValue="" />
		<scriptlanguage LongValue="0" StringValue="VBScript" />
		<sendstatistics LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<smtpallowincorrectlineendings LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<smtpdeliverybindtoip LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<smtpminutesbetweenretries LongValue="60" StringValue="" />
		<smtpnoofretries LongValue="8" StringValue="" />
		<smtprelayer LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<smtprelayerpassword LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<smtprelayerport LongValue="25" StringValue="" />
		<smtprelayerusername LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<smtprelayerusessl LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<spamassassinenabled LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<spamassassinhost LongValue="0" StringValue="localhost" />
		<spamassassinmergescore LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<spamassassinport LongValue="783" StringValue="" />
		<spamassassinscore LongValue="5" StringValue="" />
		<spamdeletethreshold LongValue="20" StringValue="" />
		<spammarkthreshold LongValue="5" StringValue="" />
		<tarpitcount LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<tarpitdelay LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<tcpipthreads LongValue="15" StringValue="" />
		<usecache LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<usecustomvirusscanner LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<usedeliverylog LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<usegreylisting LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<usemxchecks LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<usemxchecksscore LongValue="20" StringValue="" />
		<usescriptserver LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<usesmtprelayerauthentication LongValue="0" StringValue="" />
		<usespf LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
		<usespfscore LongValue="20" StringValue="" />
		<welcomeimap LongValue="0" StringValue="Alamoeur IMAP" />
		<welcomepop3 LongValue="0" StringValue="Alamoeur POP3" />
		<welcomesmtp LongValue="0" StringValue="mail2.alamoeur.com" />
		<workerthreadpriority LongValue="1" StringValue="" />
	</Properties>
	<SecurityRanges>
		<SecurityRange2 Name="My computer" LowerIP="2130706433" UpperIP="2130706433" Priority="99" Options="5569" />
		<SecurityRange3 Name="Local Network" LowerIP="3232235520" UpperIP="3232301055" Priority="80" Options="5569" />
		<SecurityRange1 Name="Internet" LowerIP="0" UpperIP="4294967295" Priority="10" Options="5601" />
	</SecurityRanges>
	<TCPIPPorts>
		<TCPIPPort1 Name="1-25" PortProtocol="1" PortNumber="25" UseSSL="0" Address="0.0.0.0" />
		<TCPIPPort2 Name="3-110" PortProtocol="3" PortNumber="110" UseSSL="0" Address="0.0.0.0" />
		<TCPIPPort3 Name="5-143" PortProtocol="5" PortNumber="143" UseSSL="0" Address="0.0.0.0" />
	</TCPIPPorts>
	<DNSBlackLists>
		<BlackList1 Name="zen.spamhaus.org" Active="1" RejectMessage="Rejected by Spamhaus blacklist as SPAM" ExpectedResult="127.0.0.*" />
		<BlackList2 Name="bl.spamcop.net" Active="1" RejectMessage="Rejected by SpamCop blacklist as SPAM" ExpectedResult="127.0.0.*" />
		<BlackList3 Name="list.dsbl.org" Active="1" RejectMessage="Rejecjed by Dsbl.ORG blacklist as SPAM" ExpectedResult="127.0.0.*" />
		<BlackList4 Name="dnsbl.ahbl.org" Active="1" RejectMessage="Rejecjed by AHBL.ORG blacklist as SPAM" ExpectedResult="127.0.0.*" />
	</DNSBlackLists>
	<Routes>
		<Route1 Name="alamoeur.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route2 Name="alamomanufacturing.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route3 Name="bomford-turner.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route4 Name="dysonnet.co.uk" Description="" TargetHost="mail.dysonnet.co.uk" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="9999" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route5 Name="faucheux.fr" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route6 Name="mcconnel.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route7 Name="rousseau-mail.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route8 Name="sma-fr.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route9 Name="spearhead.uk.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
		<Route10 Name="twose.com" Description="" TargetHost="mail.alamoeur.com" TargetPort="25" NumberOfTries="300" MinutesBetweenTry="15" ToAllAddresses="1" RequiresAuthentication="0" Username="" Password="" TreatSecurityAsLocal="1" UseSSL="0" />
	</Routes>
	<BlockedAttachments>
		<BlockedAttachment1 Name="*.bat" Description="Batch processing file" />
		<BlockedAttachment2 Name="*.cmd" Description="Command file for Windows NT" />
		<BlockedAttachment3 Name="*.com" Description="Command" />
		<BlockedAttachment4 Name="*.cpl" Description="Windows Control Panel extension" />
		<BlockedAttachment5 Name="*.csh" Description="CSH script" />
		<BlockedAttachment6 Name="*.exe" Description="Executable file" />
		<BlockedAttachment14 Name="*.exe.txt" Description="Virus" />
		<BlockedAttachment7 Name="*.inf" Description="Setup file" />
		<BlockedAttachment8 Name="*.lnk" Description="Windows link file" />
		<BlockedAttachment9 Name="*.msi" Description="Windows Installer file" />
		<BlockedAttachment10 Name="*.msp" Description="Windows Installer patch" />
		<BlockedAttachment11 Name="*.reg" Description="Registration key" />
		<BlockedAttachment12 Name="*.scf" Description="Windows Explorer command" />
		<BlockedAttachment13 Name="*.scr" Description="Windows Screen saver" />
		<BlockedAttachment15 Name="*.scr.txt" Description="virus" />
	</BlockedAttachments>
	<SURBLServers>
		<SURBLServer1 Name="multi.surbl.org" Active="1" RejectMessage="Rejected by SURBL" />
		<SURBLServer2 Name="black.uribl.com" Active="1" RejectMessage="Rejected by URIBL.com blacklist as SPAM" />
	</SURBLServers>
	<WhiteListAddresses>
		<WhiteAddress1 Name="0.0.0.0255.255.255.255" LowerIPAddress="0.0.0.0" UpperIPAddress="255.255.255.255" EMailAddress="*@spearhead.dk" Description="Spearhead DK" />
	</WhiteListAddresses>
</Backup>

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-03 19:42

Slug, blacklist will probably added. Haven't added it yet but I'm suspecting it will be added before the release... As for the installation program. I simplified it a bit in version 5, for users who does not even know what a database server is. If you're doing a clean installation, the MSSQL CE database is used by default. After installation, you can choose another database by running the database setup. If you're upgrading, the current database will continue to be used. If you want to change after the upgrade, run database setup. Users who know they want to use a specific database should not have any trouble running the database setup manually (hopefully). (I found it a bit confusing that you could change database server during an upgrade).

GlenC. Rougly how large are those messages? Do you know whether it's SMTP or IMAP which stalls? I've tried to send a bunch of 5MB files without seeing any issues.

Jeinhor. Correct, the documentation is not updated yet. Typically (I think), you would purchase a SSL certificate online and use that together with the private key in hMailServer. If you set up your own CA, I assume that your clients would then have to install it. To be honest, I'm not sure about it myself yet. I've generated my own certificates and used them with hMailServer, but I then get a question whether I want to trust the certificate. If the CA is added as a trusted CA to my client computer in Windows, I'm assuming I would not get that question. I'm planning to purchase a "real" certificate for my domain and see if the question disappears..

mpdyson. I've tested backups and restores without seeing this issue. Do you think you could send me the backup file at martin@hmailserver.com?

GlenC
Senior user
Senior user

Post by GlenC » 2007-12-03 20:47

I just tried it from work with a 1 MB .pdf and it stalled "Delivering Mail" (Thunderbird Status) at 9%. Then it just times out The last thing in the log at when that happened is "SENT: 354 OK, send.".

I AM using SSL still though... wait... I just did some quick testing. If I disable SSL on SMTP it stalls during the copy to the sent folder.

With SSL on SMTP enabled, it stalls during the delivery.

If I disable SSL on both, then the message deliver completes with no problems. Don't know why I didn't notice those things before.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-03 21:11

Got the same problem here. Will see what's causing it. If you cancel the sending and try to send it again, does it work for you then? (It does for me)

GlenC
Senior user
Senior user

Post by GlenC » 2007-12-03 21:28

For me that has not worked... I tried resending many times with the same result.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-03 23:29

Whenever you have time, you can give this build a try:
http://download.hmailserver.com/dev/hMa ... 0-B280.exe

It solved the problem for me.

GlenC
Senior user
Senior user

Post by GlenC » 2007-12-04 00:32

Yes, that seems to do it. Thank you Martin.

Slug

Post by Slug » 2007-12-04 13:41

martin wrote:Slug, blacklist will probably added. Haven't added it yet but I'm suspecting it will be added before the release... As for the installation program. I simplified it a bit in version 5, for users who does not even know what a database server is. If you're doing a clean installation, the MSSQL CE database is used by default. After installation, you can choose another database by running the database setup. If you're upgrading, the current database will continue to be used. If you want to change after the upgrade, run database setup. Users who know they want to use a specific database should not have any trouble running the database setup manually (hopefully). (I found it a bit confusing that you could change database server during an upgrade).
One more question what happens when you upgrade from V4 using the internal DB (MySQL) to V5 ? will it transfer everything to the new internal SQL Server 2005 CE.

Michael

Th

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-12-04 16:30

I have found the resolution to the backup / restore problem. If it is a fresh install then after install you must reboot before trying to backup or restore.

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-12-04 17:21

Another problem with restore, Anti-Spam settings do not restore (eg. blacklists, whitelists etc).
Also Delete objects not in backup is not effective in all sections.

DFitch
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DFitch » 2007-12-04 18:53

Hi Martin,

v5 is looking good, Great job as usual. first time I got to play with it. I noticed in B280 on hMailserver Administrator that the Domains are listed under Status not Domains. minor issue, gonna give the rest a test drive now.

D

DFitch
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DFitch » 2007-12-04 18:55

well I exited the admin and reentered and it shows them under domain now.

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-04 19:34

Why are you moving away from MySQL?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-04 20:12

slug wrote:One more question what happens when you upgrade from V4 using the internal DB (MySQL) to V5 ? will it transfer everything to the new internal SQL Server 2005 CE.
No. The installation program for hMailServer no longer touches the database settings. It will continue to use the same database.
benn600 wrote:Why are you moving away from MySQL?
Because hMailServer 5 will be released as closed source, and the prices for distributing MySQL with a closed source application is extremly high. Background: http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10523
mpdyson wrote:backup/restore
Thanks. Backup and restore is one of the things I haven't tested at all yet..

DFitch
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DFitch » 2007-12-04 20:12

A+ on spamd intergration. Connects to my linux boxes perfectly!

DFitch
Senior user
Senior user

Post by DFitch » 2007-12-04 20:33

Hi Martin,

Can you add all Anti-Spam options under Domains/Advanced like greylisting?
So we can enable or disable per domain.

Thanks
D

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

release??

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-04 21:24

any idea when a stable build will be released? I'm looking forward to it.

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-04 21:27

What are the implications/reasons for closed source ?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-04 21:33

any idea when a stable build will be released?
No, not yet. Will take some time. The time depends on so many things it's pointless to even give a guess.
What are the implications/reasons for closed source?
http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9736
(Check my fourth or fifth response on that page.)

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-05 05:46

I read about the first half of the long thread. Very interesting. It upset me to read that other people/companies take your hard work and use it against the license (making money, etc.)

To me, I am just using hMailServer for my small family and, while I am a programmer, don't think I would ever even consider modifying the source code. And I'm still in college so not quite up to speed.

But from my perspective, I think you closing the source and making it even better could be the best move. Not only would I benefit even more from your hard work but like you said, you could then offer professional services. Free software with optional paid support is great.

Slug

Post by Slug » 2007-12-05 14:38

martin wrote:
slug wrote:One more question what happens when you upgrade from V4 using the internal DB (MySQL) to V5 ? will it transfer everything to the new internal SQL Server 2005 CE.
No. The installation program for hMailServer no longer touches the database settings. It will continue to use the same database.
So you mean if I install V5 over the top of V4 then the internal MySQL DB that was installed with V4 will remain, even though V5 only comes with SQL 2005 CE.

Interesting :o

Michael

czyczy001
New user
New user

Post by czyczy001 » 2007-12-05 17:20

Hi Martin,
In Chinese this maybe some problem (like Outlook)

My Code
Dim oMessage As hMailServer.Message
Set oMessage = New hMailServer.Message
oMessage.Charset = "GB2312"
oMessage.From = "Me哈好"
oMessage.FromAddress = "a@abc.com"
oMessage.Subject = "哈好Hi"
oMessage.AddRecipient "哈好My friend", "a@abc.com"
oMessage.Body = "This is the contents of the email.哈好"
oMessage.Attachments.Add "c:\1.txt"
oMessage.Save

========================================================
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="__=_Part_Boundary_002_030658.019977"
Subject: =?GB2312?B?uf66w0hp?=
To: =?GB2312?B?uf66w015?= friend <a@abc.com>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 02:10:24 +0800

This is a multi-part message.

--__=_Part_Boundary_002_030658.019977
Content-Type: text/plain

This is the contents of the email.=B9=FE=BA=C3

Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="1.txt"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="1.txt"
==========================================================

Can you change like this:
========================================================
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="__=_Part_Boundary_002_030658.019977"
Subject: =?GB2312?B?uf66w0hp?=
To: =?GB2312?B?uf66w015?= friend <a@abc.com>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 02:10:24 +0800

This is a multi-part message.

Content-Type: text/plain;charset="gb2312" :?:
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable :?:

This is the contents of the email.=B9=FE=BA=C3

Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="1.txt"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="1.txt"
==========================================================

SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-05 19:28

So you mean if I install V5 over the top of V4 then the internal MySQL DB that was installed with V4 will remain, even though V5 only comes with SQL 2005 CE.
Yes.. One reason is that several people have started to use the "internal" mysql server for other purposes as well, such as backend for their own PHP scripts. If hMailServer installation program were to migrate such installations to MSSQL, problem would occur (their scripts would stop working). Also, some people may have made customizations of the database structure and an upgrade program would have trouble auto-migrating those to a new server. Third, leaving it doesn't really cause any problems as far as I can tell. Fourth, the new database (MSSQLCE) has a limitation on 4GB. Databases larger than that size wouldn't be possible to upgrade how hard I even tried. Also, I think it makes sense that the installation program does not touch the database at all, unless it's required (needs to be upgraded). Also, I've been able to remove hundreds of lines of code by modifying it. On the other side, in many situations it would have been nice to auto-upgrade to MSSQLCE.

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Post by danny6167 » 2007-12-05 19:55

Slug wrote:
martin wrote:

Interesting :o

Michael
the mysql files will be there before from the prevoius install.
No need for them to be included.
[Destiny = Desternation] [Desternation = Last Stop] [Last Stop = Death]
So you destiny doesn't really matter, its what you do before you get there.

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-05 19:57

For me, for instance, with 4 users and a small database: would I be best off trying to switch to the new database? I would think for support and reliability I would want to be using your latest work. If I backup and uninstall/reinstall then restore will it use the new database?

I don't want to live with MySQL and then a year later when I reformat my server find out that it can't convert to the new format and MySQL is no longer available for hmailserver, etc...

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Post by danny6167 » 2007-12-05 20:03

a tink martin has said that MySQL support will never be removed. and MySQL is as reliable as i have seen. I would recommend just leaving the database as is.
If you do have to reformat your computer im sure that the backup will work regardless of the database back end you are/were/will be using.

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-05 20:04

It seems like why not switch now because I'll HAVE to later on? Otherwise I'll be hesitant/worried at every possible moment when I may want to reformat...I better not reformat cause it could destroy our mail.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-05 20:06

If I backup and uninstall/reinstall then restore will it use the new database?
Correct, assuming you delete the hMailServer folder after uninstallation. (The uninstallation program does not delete the MySQL data folder and data directory). At the moment though, this isn't possible since the built-in backup functionality in version 5 isn't working properly.

I doubt you would "get into a corner" by not switching though. I know that a large number of users are using hMailServer with MySQL and would not drop MySQL support unless forced to (which I doubt will happen) and in that case I would ensure some kind of migration path for them. So unless you are experiencing problems with MySQL, I would recommend you to stick with it.

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-05 20:10

Can I manually set up v5, say on a new server, to use MySQL? The more indepth I get with MySQL the more I think: why don't I just use my own MySQL installation instead of the standalone one. So could a fresh v5 install use mysql if someone set it up on their own?

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Post by danny6167 » 2007-12-05 20:10

You will never have to switch. Nothing is going to force you. If you want to reformat just do the usuald backup and and if you want to keep using mysql install a MySQL server before you install hmail

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Post by danny6167 » 2007-12-05 20:12

AFIK you can chose the database it uses in setup. you can install a mysql server then install hmail and chose the standard mysql to use as a database server

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-05 20:16

Can I manually set up v5, say on a new server, to use MySQL?
Yes. After installation of version 5, you can run hMailServer Database Setup and create a MySQL database on an already existing MySQL server. Just as you've been able to do in version 1,2,3 and 4.

The only difference in this area compared to before is that you manually have to put the file libmysql.dll in the hMailServer bin directory. (Since I cannot distribute this file with hMailServer). This file comes with the MySQL installation. (If you don't do this, the database setup will complain and you'll have to fix it)

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-05 20:22

No problems there! From your perspective would you say it is *best* to use MySQL? It probably is since you started with it. I can handle setting that up!

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-05 20:29

MySQL is a good database engine, so is MSSQL (and PostgreSQL which is also supported in v5). hMailServer only uses a small fraction of all the functionality in them, so from hMailServers point of view it doesn't matter much. The basic functionality which hMailServer needs are available in all modern database servers. (But they work slightly different in all servers, which is why hMailServer only supports a limited number of different database engines)

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-05 20:31

I wish hMailServer had built in address books & calendar support. It is such an amazing piece of software. . like the iPhone: it makes you want an iHouse or iCar.

I want hContacts & hCalendar.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-05 20:55

And in the same way you won't get an iHouse or an iCar, it's unlikely that you'll see hContacts or hCalendar.. =) (Guess you know you can set up an LDAP server to host contacts)

Slug

Post by Slug » 2007-12-06 01:12

martin wrote:
Yes.. One reason is that several people have started to use the "internal" mysql server for other purposes as well, such as backend for their own PHP scripts.
Yes I am one of these people, thats why I asked twice :-) better to be safe then sorry.

Thanks
Michael

mattg

Post by mattg » 2007-12-06 02:26

martin wrote:And in the same way you won't get an iHouse or an iCar, it's unlikely that you'll see hContacts or hCalendar.. =) (Guess you know you can set up an LDAP server to host contacts)
I have tried LDAP.

Steep learning curve to get it going, and then doesn't have a 'browsable' list of contacts, only a 'searchable' list of contacts. This is a pain.

I reckon a decent way of sharing contacts is needed, particularly in a 'browsable' solution.

Matt

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-06 08:52

Martin: you should lead the way in a new standard in IMAP that simply allows files to be accessed and edited. Even if it isn't an official standard, such an implementation would mean any standard calendar application could use the data--Sunbird or whatever. I think you'd draw hoards of people to your product if you could create a secure way to use the ever important contacts & calendars--like I said, just secure file access. Then in the calendar location, just put imap://domain.com/user@domain.com;...etc.

LDAP is not a great solution because there are no easy tools out there. I'm sure good LDAP software could be written that would give a typical interface for viewing/adding/modifying contacts. LDAP isn't like most other services--it seems to be implemented on the spot with lots of expertise and careful consideration...I'm confusing myself. I just need hLDAP. An average, intelligent computer user can't get lost in a clean, simple GUI like the one hMailServer has--even for an email server! Why not an LDAP server with a simple interface?

Could I somehow create an LDAP type server with MySQL? I'm great with MySQL and PHP apps. I'm tempted to make a web based directory. That would get me 95% there but there's always the annoyance of no internet access and the fact that it can't integrate easily. Making a personal contact tracking web site would be a cinch. In fact, I should do that soon.

Just another project! I have a huge list of MySQL/PHP sites to create for me and others.

But would there be a way to implement LDAP type services through a PHP site? Oh wait, I'd need internet for IMAP email, too. Duh.

Just something to think about. I think I recall seeing some LDAP PHP functions.

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-06 08:54

Yea, I could use my internet based contacts on my iPhone but then I don't get the auto search in email, address lookup in Google maps, etc. It's just a disaster! Same problem in Thunderbird. I really dislike web based apps except where they are very useful. I think in most cases, desktop apps should be used. However, I make sure to have web email, etc. available.

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-12-06 10:59

When you change a Spam Score in DNS Blacklist it does not bring the save button active, although if try to move to another item, it does popup that it is not saved, and it allows you to save it.

Search screen on Aliases does not show 'To' or 'Active'

On Account, Advanced tab, Other - there are 2 buttons (Empty Account and Unlock) that do not appear to do anything.

mpdyson
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mpdyson » 2007-12-06 11:51

What are Groups for? The Groups search screen does not apear to work.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-06 13:21

benn600, sure, pay me enough or increase the hours of the day from 24 to 48 and I'll do it. Seriously, I won't have time inventing new protocols at this stage. As you may have noticed, I'm busy creating an email server. :)

mpdyson, the GUI will be internally redesigned before the release of version 5 (almost rewritten from scratch). So I won't fix such problems in the current verrsion of it (no point fixing bugs in code which will be removed).

benn600
Senior user
Senior user

Post by benn600 » 2007-12-06 18:05

"As you may have noticed, I'm busy creating an email server."

Really? Oh, that's right, lol!

cveillon
Normal user
Normal user

Conversion from 4.4.1 to 5 (B280)

Post by cveillon » 2007-12-06 19:01

Hi Martin,

First thanks for everything you do!

On a test server I had 4.3.1 (B253) and wanted to try version 5. So, I first upgraded to 4.4.1 (B273), then attempted to upgrade to v. 5 (B280).

The upgrade from 4.3.1 to 4.4.1 went smooth, no problems. Then the upgrade to v. 5 failed to complete and errored out. I received the following in the error log:

"ERROR" 3188 "2007-12-06 09:45:54.281" "Severity: 2 (High), Code: HM5032, Source: DALConnection::Execute, Description: MySQL: Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes (Additional info: ALTER TABLE hm_greylisting_triplets CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8)"

Using SQLyog, I looked for a setting on the 'hm_greylisting_triplets' table for character set setting, but not being a SQL guy, I couldn't find it.

Any suggestions???

with best regards,
Chuck
hMailServer 4.4.1-B273 Built-in MySQL
3 ea prod mx servers on XP Home, 1 ea on Win2k

mvolovich
New user
New user

Post by mvolovich » 2007-12-07 10:32

Martin, is there some info how to use new config with a spamassassin port in v5.0? Is it allready working in build 280?
BIG thanks for your work!

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-12-07 12:58

cveillon,
Is it possible for you to revert the upgrade by restoring a backup, or simply re-create the database from scratch? The issue you find is something I needs looking into. Can you tell me hich MySQL version you're using? The internal one?

mvolovich,
I will start putting up the documentation during the weekend. The basics of the SA-integration works fine.

GlenC
Senior user
Senior user

Post by GlenC » 2007-12-07 15:02

Just wanted to say... since I'm not seeming to have any complaints lately. This is working extremely well for an alpha Martin. Good work!

cveillon
Normal user
Normal user

Post by cveillon » 2007-12-13 00:44

martin wrote:cveillon,
Is it possible for you to revert the upgrade by restoring a backup, or simply re-create the database from scratch? The issue you find is something I needs looking into. Can you tell me which MySQL version you're using? The internal one?
No, I cannot recover from backup. Not sure how to recreate the database from scratch (except uninstalling HMS and deleting any remnance). What version?, no clue. It's the internal one. The date on the mysqld-nt.exe file is 5/15/07 8:38 PM. The properties of the file shows no version.

Is this any help at all?

BTW, I cannot access hMail Admin. It complains that the db is either too old or too new and to run the db updater (DBUpdater.exe) to upgrade it.

As stated before, it will not update. Aparantly a problem tring to go from hMS v5 Alpha 1 to hMS v5 Alpha 2 version.
hMailServer 4.4.1-B273 Built-in MySQL
3 ea prod mx servers on XP Home, 1 ea on Win2k

koncept
Normal user
Normal user

Post by koncept » 2007-12-19 06:29

Hello,

I know you say do not deploy in production but I just did to see if it plus db updates solve a problem I am having (I don't think its hms, i think its the other people that have touched it since I configured it initially (lets not go there)). One thing I would like to see added (minor I think) is a little message box that says backup/restore complete and on restore forces an exit so that it reloads all the information in the left column? Or at least disables the button till it is done. Just a thought....

@cevilion, i had the same issue on my test box before deploying it to this production box, what i did was trick it, so edit the table for db version and then open hms, run your backup and then create a new database to ensure the integrity of that portion....probably not something to add the the faq or standard operating procedures. btw, also forgot to mention i dont recall seeing any problems with this on the test box (but all it does for the most part is forward messages...)