Migrate to new Internet provider. TIPS?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
briankelly63
New user
New user

Migrate to new Internet provider. TIPS?

Post by briankelly63 » 2021-01-10 21:31

Hello All,
I have been running hmailserver for a number of years on a dsl line with a static IP behind pfsense.

I do have my own domain name associated with that dsl static IP address. The name is under my own control and has nothing to do with the IP provider.

Because of speed limitations I am thinking of switching to an Altice-Optimum Business connection with a static IP. Obviously the IP address will change,

Before making such a change what should I be aware of in terms of making that switch? Any tips? I'm concerned about the reputation of either the new IP address or the range that Optimum business may use.

Thx

Brian

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Migrate to new Internet provider. TIPS?

Post by jim.bus » 2021-01-10 22:32

Around a year ago or so, I went from a Dynamic IP Address with my ISP to a Static IP Address with the same ISP provider. I do not believe the ISP provider is a concern. For me, all I had to do was make the appropriate DNS changes such as set up an A-Record for my Static IP Address, Change the MX Record to point to my A-Record with the new Static IP Address, and make the appropriate changes for the SPF/PTR TXT Record entries.

Probably the main worry about changing ISP Provider would be with the IP Address and whether or not it is on any Blacklists. The only thing I can think you might try would be to ask the new Static IP Address provider to indicate what range of IP Addresses you would be assigned for a Static IP Address and check with the Blacklist Databases. Don't know if the new ISP would do this but perhaps you could ask them to verify for you that the new Static IP Address is not on the Blacklists.

For me the switch to a Static IP address was a non-issue regarding IP Address reputation but then I was with a major ISP Provider.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2021-01-10 23:16

jim.bus wrote:
2021-01-10 22:32
Probably the main worry about changing ISP Provider would be with the IP Address and whether or not it is on any Blacklists.
^^ This.

Get you new IP but don't put your production server on it until you've confirmed its clean.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2021-01-10 23:23

briankelly63 wrote:
2021-01-10 21:31
Hello All,
I have been running hmailserver for a number of years on a dsl line with a static IP behind pfsense.

I do have my own domain name associated with that dsl static IP address. The name is under my own control and has nothing to do with the IP provider.

Because of speed limitations I am thinking of switching to an Altice-Optimum Business connection with a static IP. Obviously the IP address will change,

Before making such a change what should I be aware of in terms of making that switch? Any tips? I'm concerned about the reputation of either the new IP address or the range that Optimum business may use.

Thx

Brian
I have gone from DSL to 4G in 2019, both residential with fixed IP. Changed my DNS and that was that. Had to delist with Spamhaus but that was only a matter of minutes.

2020 I expanded with a 200 mbit fiber so now I have 4G + Fiber.
Primary MX on 4G, Internet surf/streaming and secondary MX on fiber - Yes there are issues with multiple default gateways on Windows so I have two hMailServers - a mailserver and a backup-mx/test server. However that also mean I can send out on either ISP :mrgreen:

Primary is on 4G as there some issues with SORBS on the Fiber connections :roll:

Also... 4G router, GB POE switch, 2 x WiFi AP's and servers have UPS backup so I have close to 1 hour to rig up a 240Volt generator in case the power plant is blown up by QAnon 8)
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2021-01-11 00:31

SorenR wrote:
2021-01-10 23:23

Primary MX on 4G, Internet surf/streaming and secondary MX on fiber - Yes there are issues with multiple default gateways on Windows so I have two hMailServers - a mailserver and a backup-mx/test server. However that also mean I can send out on either ISP :mrgreen:
I am curious as to how you keep your MX Backup/Test Server Domains and Email Account entries in sync with your Primary Server. I think I know of a way but don' know if it has any flaws in it. I had managed to have two hMailServers on the same Local Network share the Database and thus both hMailServers seemed to have the same Domains and Email Accounts. I couldn't share the email messages as each hMailServer locked the email messages files. I do not use IMAP only POP3. I believe this configuration would also work from a Remote Network as well. If all you use your MX Backup hMailServer for is for MX Backup and test, this configuration might work. Do you see any flaws in this configuration if it is different from what you did.

Also how did you handle sending from your MX Backup/Test Server as far as the Email Client is concerned? Did you manually change the Client's outgoing server entry?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2021-01-11 01:04

jim.bus wrote:
2021-01-11 00:31
SorenR wrote:
2021-01-10 23:23

I am curious as to how you keep your MX Backup/Test Server Domains and Email Account entries in sync with your Primary Server. I think I know of a way but don' know if it has any flaws in it. I had managed to have two hMailServers on the same Local Network share the Database and thus both hMailServers seemed to have the same Domains and Email Accounts. I couldn't share the email messages as each hMailServer locked the email messages files. I do not use IMAP only POP3. I believe this configuration would also work from a Remote Network as well. If all you use your MX Backup hMailServer for is for MX Backup and test, this configuration might work. Do you see any flaws in this configuration if it is different from what you did.

Also how did you handle sending from your MX Backup/Test Server as far as the Email Client is concerned? Did you manually change the Client's outgoing server entry?
Installation is more simple than you think... Backup-MX is a "store-and-forward" term, not a "hot backup" thing.

I have fixed IP on both ISP's.
Primary MX server have 4G as default gateway, all other have fiber as default gateway.
I can change default gateway by activating alternate profile in DHCP server. Internal "Fixed IP" clients/servers are managed by DHCP.
Backup-MX server have no live domains.
Backup-MX server have route to primary MX server.
Primary MX server have global rule if outgoing delivery retry 5 times then use alternative route via Backup-MX.
Webmail is accessed via fiber router - Apache on Linux linked to IIS (DCOM) on primary MX server.
IMAP/SMTP is access via 4G router.

So... If IMAP cannot connect from outside, Webmail will 8)

There should be no reason for me NOT to receive mail or NOT being able to send mail - Unless BOTH ISP's or the Danish DIX is shut down. DNS is IIRC distributed on to 8 servers world wide.

It's like a house. Front door lead to the hall, back door lead to the hall via the kitchen. If the front door is locked you leave by the back door via the kitchen.
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2021-01-11 01:59

palinka wrote:
2021-01-10 23:16
Get you new IP but don't put your production server on it until you've confirmed its clean.
+1

Check it here: https://multirbl.valli.org/