How to fix error 18444

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
jmr
New user
New user

How to fix error 18444

Post by jmr » 2019-09-14 21:06

I'm very new to hMailserver (and to the topic of mail servers). I just installed the package, and am trying to use it to send test emails from an Express.js application on my local machine (localhost:3000).

I'm getting the following error:
[Error: 18444:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:openssl\ssl\record\ssl3_record.c:252

A few basic questions first:

1. I thought it might be possible to set up a test account on the hMailserver domain, so under domain I entered hMailserver.com and under account, I entered auth@hmailserver.com. Note: Aside from the above, I never took any other steps to set up the auth@hmailserver.com account.
A. Is it possible to set up such an account? (and did I do so properly?)
B. Or can I use the account I set up for this Discussion Board? (I don't have my own domain, and was hoping to delay setting that up until later).
C. Alternatively, If I can't use the hmailserver domain, is there any other domain I can use for now, for testing purposes?

2. My configuration in the Express.js application currently is as follows:
host: 'localhost'
port: 25

Does this configuration make any sense? If not, how should I set it up?

Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: How to fix error 18444

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-14 22:41

I don't think you should be using the Domain hMailServer.Com as this is an existing External Domain on the Internet and trying to send to anything with that Domain Name would not result in anything you would receive. This Domain belongs to the hMailServer project. It might be possible since you would have set it up on your hMailServer implentation that your hMailServer would recognize this as a Local Domain and keep any activity confined to your hMailServer but I still don't think it is a good idea to confuse things like this.

Although I haven't tried it I would think you could specify some Test Domain and you could test your configuration that way as long as the Domain you set up does not exist externally on the Internet. You can tell if it does exist externally by going to hMailAdmin>Utilities>MX Query and enter the Domain and if there is a result of your query then you know the Domain exists externally on the Internet. No Response would indicate there is no External Domain.

By the way Domains are dirt cheap. You should be able to purchase a Domain for less than US $25.00/year on Go Daddy and probably cheaper (an educated guess on my part). You also can get the very popular .Com domain names as long as they are not already owned by someone else. But if you use a purchased Domain like this then you will definitely have to set up DNS entries for external access. If in fact you can test with a dummy test domain you probably won't need to purchase a Domain and you probably don't need to set up any DNS.

Why do you want to use this Java Script for testing?

hMailServer only runs on Windows and I assume by now you are on Windows 10. In order to send email with hMailServer you do need an Email Client application such as Outlook (paid application), Thunderbird (freeware), Windows 10 Mail (included with Windows 10), etc. I am an Outlook user so I favor Outlook but Thunderbird is a very popular email client also and free. Assuming you are on Windows 10, you already have Windows 10 Mail installed on your system, you just need to configure it. Windows 10 Mail is similar to Outlook but is not as sophisticated. All Email Clients will have to be configured similar to Windows 10 Mail.

Windows 10 Mail Configuration would be basically:

Add an Email Account.
Incoming Server (POP3): localhost or if not recognized the name assigned to your computer assuming hMailServer is running on this same computer. If using an External Domain you will have to use the external
hostname for your Local Network.
Outgoing Server (SMTP): Same as Incoming Server above.
Incoming Port: 110 if not using SSL Encryption
995 if using an SSL Encryption Certificate (You appear to not be using an SSL Certificate)
Outgoing Port: 25 if not using TLS Encryption
465 if using SSL Encryption (Requires) SSL/TLS Encryption Certificate.
587 if using TLS Encryption (Requires) SSL/TLS Encryption Certificate.

Without looking anything up (and this does not look like an hMailServer error message), your error message seems to be referencing some kind of SSL error which is one reason I say you appear to not be using an SSL Certificate. To use Encryption (preferable) you will need to get a TLS Certificate (TLS replaces SSL but will be frequently lumped in with the SSL term). You can get a free 90 day (Renewable) Certificate from Let's Encrypt (Certificate Authority).

You should read the hMailServer Help Documentation for setting up (configuring) hMailServer as it will give you more information on what you need to do to set up hMailServer and I would recommend not sending to any external Email Account until you have properly configured hMailServer for use in the Internet otherwise you risk getting your External IP Address Blacklisted. Receiving email from the Internet should be ok but not Sending until hMailServer and your DNS SPF record is configured properly.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-09-15 00:37

Don't use anything which uses SSLv3

If possible use only TLSv1.2 or later.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-09-15 01:43

jim.bus wrote:
2019-09-14 22:41
I don't think you should be using the Domain hMailServer.Com
Yep

You are trying to use the hMailserver.com's OWN hMailserver installation, not your own
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-15 02:50

Dravion wrote:
2019-09-15 00:37

I concur. I didn't want to go into any more of a lengthy dissertation than I already had. I tend to get long winded enough as it is. However the current latest stable Build, B2425, would then only offer TLSv1.2 as B2425 is not updated to TLSv1.3 the only later TLS version.

I am also conflicted over the the advice of only using say TLSv1.2 or Higher. Even though that would be the best to do but by not using the lower versions then if you get an Email Server which doesn't offer say TLSv1.2 but does offer TLSv1.1 then you will get no encryption and to my way of thinking any encryption even if not as secure as TLSv1.2 or higher is better than no encryption at all. What seems logical to me is to always make sure you offer the highest level of encryption available in all the versions you offer and in B2425's case the highest level is TLSv1.2.

Anybody who can say why not to offer the lower versions as long as hMailServer offers at least TLSv1.2 (in the case of B2425) I would like to know why offering the lower versions in case the Email Server hMailServer connects to doesn't offer the higher TLS version is a bad idea. As I would think that the lower TLS versions as insecure as they are compared to TLSv1.2 (B2425 case) is better than not offering encryption at all.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-09-15 02:53

jmr wrote:
2019-09-14 21:06
I'm very new to hMailserver (and to the topic of mail servers). I just installed the package, and am trying to use it to send test emails from an Express.js application on my local machine (localhost:3000).

I'm getting the following error:
[Error: 18444:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:openssl\ssl\record\ssl3_record.c:252
You don't need any encryption if relaying from an app on the same machine. Edit for clarity - you don't need encryption between your app and hmailserver if both are on the same machine.

As far as the domain goes, as already said, don't use hmailserver.com. Use your own domain.

Are you relaying through another server or are you sending the Express.js messages directly to external recipients?

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-09-15 07:03

jim.bus wrote:
2019-09-15 02:50
Dravion wrote:

I concur.

Concur as long as you want.
The reply wasn't for you, it was for the TE, not you.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-15 08:39

Dravion wrote:
2019-09-15 07:03
jim.bus wrote:
2019-09-15 02:50
Dravion wrote:

I concur.

Concur as long as you want.
The reply wasn't for you, it was for the TE, not you.
You took my statement out of context.

I was trying to point out that in B2425 (the current latest official hMailServer.com website Build) the only encryption versions available at TLSv1.2 or later was only TLSv1.2 as B2425 doesn't offer any TLS versions greater than TLSv1.2. I also took opportunity to express my opinion that specifying the lower versions as alternatives would be better than no encryption if the connecting email server didn't offer a TLS encryption version as high as TLSv1.2.