Setting Up a POP Account in Outlook 2016

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
superdrivesam
New user
New user

Setting Up a POP Account in Outlook 2016

Post by superdrivesam » 2019-09-04 09:13

I had a couple of POP accounts (admin and test) set up in Outlook 2016 and they were working just fine. All of sudden, the outgoing mail kept getting stuck in Outbox and I kept getting "Internet Mail Password" pop-ups for both accounts and the passwords that I had them originally set up 3 days ago no longer worked. I logged to the server and reset the passwords, with no avail. I deleted both accounts from my Outlook and tried to add them again, but I get the Microsoft's disgusting "something went wrong" message. I can no longer set up POP or IMAP accounts. Here are what my specific settings:

- I am working remotely.
- I VPN to the company network before trying to set up the mail accounts.
- I have full admin access to the hmailserver.
- I use the IP address of the server for the POP and SMTP with ports 110 and 25 respectively, with no encryption required.
- My office IP ranges, both Public and Private have been added and given all default connections, deliver, and authentication requirements.
- Everyone in the office can connect, send and receive emails.
- The only change I made was removing a strange IP range labeled as "My Computer" with IP Range being designated as 127.0.0.1-127.0.0.1, with all default checks and unchecked, except for local to local, and local to external did not require authentication. This was put in by someone else and checked all docs on hmailserver.com and could not find anything about it, so I removed it.
- Just for the heck of it, after failing to recreate the accounts, I recreated the range again from the snapshot, but with no avail.

Anybody?

jimimaseye

Re: Setting Up a POP Account in Outlook 2016

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-09-04 09:16

Check your AUTOBAN entries. Your client PC is likely locked out.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

superdrivesam
New user
New user

Post by superdrivesam » 2019-09-04 09:34

I figured it out. I had added, "require TLS/SSL for Authentication" checked out with a priority of 15 and my own IP ranges with no "TLS/SSL" and a priority of 0, thinking it will take precedence, but apparently it did not. Once I removed that requirement for the Internet range, I was able to connect. This product really sucks.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-09-04 12:01

superdrivesam wrote:
2019-09-04 09:34
I figured it out. I had added, "require TLS/SSL for Authentication" checked out with a priority of 15 and my own IP ranges with no "TLS/SSL" and a priority of 0, thinking it will take precedence, but apparently it did not. Once I removed that requirement for the Internet range, I was able to connect. This product really sucks.
....or maybe it's the user configuration that sucks. You configure it wrong, make assumptions, get errors as a result and blame the product??
5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-09-04 12:15

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-09-04 12:01
superdrivesam wrote:
....or maybe it's the user configuration that sucks. You configure it wrong, make assumptions, get errors as a result and blame the product??
LOL only on the internet...

"I don't know how to make sushi, and this very sharp, very expensive Japanese knife SUCKS!"

I have a feeling he may come back later to ask why removing the "very strange" My Computer IP range SUCKS too.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-09-04 17:15

superdrivesam wrote:
This product really sucks.
Then PLEASE stop using it and ask for a full refund of the purchase price :lol: :lol:
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

superdrivesam
New user
New user

Post by superdrivesam » 2019-09-09 03:25

Bunch of emotional idiots. Morons, read before putting your MAGA hats on and load your guns. Yes, this pile of garbage sucks. Only, because bunch of cheap aholes or fat boys in their parents basement use it does not give it the legitimacy of being used in a corporate environment. I inherited this pile of garbage, and, yes, will stop using it very soon.
But for those of you who must use it because the business owners are too cheap to spend money for something that is professionally designed, here is what these morons missed on my original post:

I work remotely, and my public IP is on the list of IP ranges that is allowed to connect without SSL/TLS and a higher priority number, which means it should take precedence over the "Internet Range," but it does not.

The idea is to require SSL/TLS for Internet users, but create an allowed list that does not require it. Again, I am talking to those who want to learn, not the barking chihuahuas. It is a good idea to use SSL/TLS for all, but, as I mentioned, I am in the process of transitioning them to a different product. I am not mentioning the name of it, because I don't want it to be misconstrued (Hey chihuahuas, look up in the dictionary what this means :-)) as advertising for other platforms.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-09-09 04:48

superdrivesam wrote:
2019-09-09 03:25
I work remotely, and my public IP is on the list of IP ranges that is allowed to connect without SSL/TLS and a higher priority number, which means it should take precedence over the "Internet Range," but it does not.
What priorities are the ip ranges?
I'm guessing that you have misunderstood how priorities work...

Higher priority is higher number, not smaller number
Internet priority of 10 is LOWER priority that an IP range with a priority of 100
IP range with a priority of 0 is LOWER than the default internet IP range priority of 10

If in doubt run this and post the results please
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=30914
superdrivesam wrote:
Only, because bunch of cheap aholes or fat boys in their parents basement use it does not give it the legitimacy of being used in a corporate environment.
You really are clueless mate
hMailserver is used in MANY corporate environments, and by MANY ISPs

And very few regular contributors are in the USA. What is a MAGA hat?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-09-09 08:17

superdrivesam wrote:
Yes, this pile of garbage sucks. Only, because bunch of cheap aholes or fat boys in their parents basement use it does not give it the legitimacy of being used in a corporate environment. I inherited this pile of garbage, and, yes, will stop using it very soon.
Ouch!!

Hey, fellow forum users and network admins: I bet you are all feeling totally insulted and "owned" :?: (as the American vernacular would have them say). I guess we should all leave our jobs and go back home to live in our bedrooms in shame, right?

Ooh, no. Maybe not.

(The irony being we all have jobs using this product and very happy, yet this guru of mail software finds it all confusing and spat some unburnt fuel because he cant figure out simple software. Maybe we need to make the software more complicated and fill it with sh1t that brings no benefit to make him feel happier. (He needs a bit of love). Sure, the word "sucks" does come to mind but not how he said it).

Still, he is all vented and got things working. We can all breath easy and rejoice.
5.7 on test.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2019-09-09 09:03

the guy likely confuses HMS IP ranges priority with DNS MX priority and thinks a basic feature doesn't work properly, so we're all morons as we're not aware of it.
he/she's insolent and clumsy too. needs education.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-09-09 12:38

MAGA hats LOL...

Your product sucks because i don't know how to use it, can't be bothered to read the manual or ask questions. Now here's a long winded explanation about me me me.

Good Lord! If this is the state of IT in America, no wonder they bring in so many foreigners.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-09 12:58

mattg wrote:
2019-09-09 04:48

A MAGA hat is a reference to unfortunately our Commander In Moron as I unafectionally call him 'The Chump' (I think you can figure who this is. Tillerson aptly described him).

A MAGA hat was the RED campaign hat with 'MAGA' emblazoned on it which stood for 'Make America Great Again'.

If this guy knows so much about how email servers should work, then why didn't he do what I did when I wanted to set up entries in the IP Ranges. I bothered to read the Help Documentation which told me how to do it more or less. Admittedly I don't fully comprehend how to exactly interpret some of the entries but I usually just stick with the defaults and I manage but I understand the 'intuitive' concept that a higher priority means higher priority not like DNS MX Preference Numbers where a lower preference number means 'pick this first'.

I don't believe he also ever said why he should not be using SSL/TLS and be allowed to connect unencrypted. So what intuitively what kind of sense does that make. You would think because he is Remote that he would want to connect encrypted.
Last edited by jim.bus on 2019-09-09 13:14, edited 2 times in total.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-09-09 13:05

mattg wrote:
2019-09-09 04:48
MAGA = Make America Great Again.

MAGA hat is a red hat with Trump's MAGA slogan on it. It's so triggering to American leftists that they even imagine anyone they disagree with on completely apolitical issues wearing one. This guy has a sore case of TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). That's totally clear by his projecting onto this group of mostly non American, mostly left of center folks his fantasies about being harassed by guys in MAGA hats with fully semi automatic assault keyboards with detachable usb magazines. In other words, he's completely, utterly, abjectly and observably nuts and we've already given him far more attention than he deserves. He's also narcissistic, which is a companion trait to TDS. Notice the ME ME ME in his reply as well as believing he's the smart person in the room because he thinks no one but him understands the word "misconstrued". The Dunning-Kruger is very strong in this one. Sad!

I suggest deleting this thread completely since it's nothing more than pollution. Or at least move it to the off topic forum so we can have a laugh at his sorry expense sometime in the future.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-09-09 13:12

superdrivesam wrote:
and, yes, will stop using it very soon.
You're damned right about that. You are banned from using hmailserver and your license has been permanently revoked which will be effective the next time your hmailserver service starts, so i suggest you get your affairs in order fast before you lose all your data.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-09-09 13:13

Lets just leave it there folks.

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.