What email client does everyone use?

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
RChadwick
Normal user
Normal user

What email client does everyone use?

Post by RChadwick » 2015-07-04 16:23

I started using OE way back when. I don't remember why I stopped, but likely something about not handling spam, and maybe problems with multiple accounts. I moved to Thunderbird, and have been happy for years. However, it looks like it's time to move on. I decided to add my Yahoo and GMail accounts, and Thunderbird has turned in to a buggy mess. I've also been dealing with crashes and high memory usage.

I'm currently looking at Zimbra. It seems decent with only 2 accounts, but I haven't been able to figure out how to change the UI, specifically colors and fonts (Hard to tell if an email has been read or now), or how to show only new mails.

What does everyone else use? Do you like it?

jimimaseye

Re: What email client does everyone use?

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-07-04 21:13

I am a firm staunch user and believer in Thunderbird. I cant say I have the same problems you have expressed and I am also very swayed by its ability to bolt on the various addons (of which I am currently using 2 or 3 VERY important ones that simply you wouldnt get for other clients). At home on my laptop I have it configured with 9 accounts: 1 is gmail, 4 are yahoo, 1 is ISP supplied, 1 hotmail, along with hmailserver accounts too, and some of those accounts make use of up to 10 different identities. All accounts are IMAP. I find it extremely useful and without a problem. (Admittedly the Yahoo imap accounts are a little ropey because Yahoo dont like email clients using IMAP, they reserve it for mobile phones and consequently their PUSH updates/notifications face a lag. That is to say, use yahoo app to delete an email, it doesnt push the update to desktop pc client. But this is Yahoo causing the problem, not Thunderbird)
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

danswartz
Normal user
Normal user

Post by danswartz » 2015-07-15 19:47

roundcube

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-07-16 00:54

Thunderbird (predominantly)
Opera
Outlook
Windows Live Mail
NASMail
Squirrelmail
iOS mail client
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2015-10-10 14:42

Thunderbird but (and i know and used many alternatives) but when it comes to speed and macros, handling hugh amount of emails the console email client MUTT is king for me :D

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2015-10-11 06:40

I used about 15 years Pegasus Mail (IMHO as one of the oldest email clients around still unmatched in some aspects).
Then changed to Thunderbird about 10 years ago as we had to have a standart in our company, and Pmail was not suitable for the average user. I started to use it privately as well. With its add-ons you can achieve almost anything you like.

Sylpheed (open source too) is another interesting lightweight but feature-rich client. I do some admin jobs like spamfolder check, redirections etc. with it. Lightning-fast...

My Android favorit is K-9 Mail.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2015-10-11 07:29

Howdy kati :)

Pegasus mail... I was surfing the mercury/pegasus email website a few hours ago. Unfortently it is closed source.David (the mastermind behind the whole client/server development) looks like a verry nice person but it seems the whole enterprise doesnt fit the bill.He begs his customers for donations to keep the development allive, its verry sad to see something like this, he deserved it way better.Im studying and evaluating once in a while all diffrent sorts of EMail-Clients and trying to get a clue what users like and which product helds its claims.

The latest downfaller is the new kid on the block "Mailbird (closed source)". Some one made a review and found out it periodically phones home to its master!Outlook is the most used PIM/EMail-Client in Businesses and there is loyal community arround the legendary Czech EMail-Client - The Bat! :)

But there is an Outlook rival which could be a Gamechanger called "em-Client". It has by far the best looking User Interface and the most reviews and users in the em forum themes to be happy with the
product and the support staff.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-10-11 11:34

I am intrigued, though, (general question to all): What do you consider the key factors are when determining what is "best" for email clients? Ive seen references to speed, looks (aesthetics), tailorability to automation and functions.

For me, talking about 'speed' being a factor from one client to the next I question because in modern day technology the differences in speed must be at split-second levels which is usually beyond the recognition of the user. Given the other factors in place that can affect speed and response (network speed, processing power, feeding/peer mail server/client, additional AV/spam solution etc) I question how 'speed' specifically can be perceived as a major factor in choice.

So, what makes an email client "the best" ?
5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2015-10-11 14:48

Dravion wrote: David (the mastermind behind the whole client/server development) looks like a verry nice person but it seems the whole enterprise doesnt fit the bill.He begs his customers for donations to keep the development allive, its verry sad to see something like this, he deserved it way better.
Hi Dravion, greetings,

D. Harris is an acclaimed & actually great programmer. Sad but he's a loser in terms of trade.
Katip
--

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2015-10-11 15:03

@jimi

i think this cannot viewed isolated in the first place. In most cases where user claiming its pc/laptop/mac is to slow and blaming this to an email client like thunderbird has much to do with it.

On the otherside espacially imap can be a real showstopper. if you have a large inbox(for instance 100 GBytes) and people are waiting minutes before syncing is complete it looks like "the email client program" is generally slow generally.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2015-10-11 15:24

Hi katip
katip wrote: D. Harris is an acclaimed & actually great programmer. Sad but he's a loser in terms of trade.
You are right. He writes in his 2010 Statement on the website he would love to go opensource but is afraid on the other side that he will loose its remaining, paying customers. The other problem is that the pegasus email client uses a portion of thirdparty code (the email editing feature) which has to removed and replaced before it can really go opensource.

Imho:
Daves only way out of this situation is to go OpenSource, provide some great support and listen to its customers need and feature request.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2015-10-11 15:38

jimimaseye wrote: For me, talking about 'speed' being a factor from one client to the next I question because in modern day technology the differences in speed must be at split-second levels which is usually beyond the recognition of the user. Given the other factors in place that can affect speed and response (network speed, processing power, feeding/peer mail server/client, additional AV/spam solution etc) I question how 'speed' specifically can be perceived as a major factor in choice.

So, what makes an email client "the best" ?
Good point, post-modern life consecrate speed (and pleasure/delight). Even secs differ... no one cares that speed to cemetary don't change, but this is very OT now...

OTH, my Thunderbird with Addressbook Sync add-on comes alive apprx 30 secs after launching it (decent PC) till all is synched, meanwhile it stays unresponsive. I must have this add-on installed like anyone who wants to sync addressbook with his/her mobile device/PC and I know no better one. It's not your PC anymore but your connection too (50Mb fiber in my case). But with Sylpheed for instance i have no such concern, get it ready in 1 sec & do my job and exit. Rest of the day may go on with TB and my usual email exchange whenever i launch it. You may ask "what's 30 secs" but it isn't so, you know... Email clients are no more a "tool" now but ultimate applications, we as admins need tools really..
Katip
--

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2015-10-13 05:57

http://masonmark.com/the-best-imap-clie ... sure-sucks

found a verry angry but honest rant about why literaly all imap clients sucks badly. Its interresting to read how a poweruser explaines the lack of performance, feature correctnes and lack of stability :D

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-10-13 10:55

I completely disregard his rant for one simple reason: he makes it clear that his intention is to review IMAP mail handling by titling the review as "The Best IMAP Client...." instead of simply "The Best (email) Client...". His emphasis is the "IMAP". And yet, he then goes off to list his reasons for clients failing his 'review' such as

• rule-based triggering of custom processes
    good UI
    tree-display threaded view
    custom IMAP flag support
    so-called "smart mailboxes" (i.e., canned searches)
    decent scriptability/automation support
    attachment removal (leaving the message on the server)
all of which are arguably NOT necessary for an IMAP client to be functional - they are all 'niceties' and/or certainly open to an individuals opinion and have nothing to do with IMAP handling. For example, "Good UI": what he thinks is good, I do not. I might prefer the look of Thunderbird, he might prefer the look of Outlook. I have removed things such as UTF-8 support, speed, and searches as these could be seen as being essential to rate any email application as meeting the minimum requirements for handling IMAP mail as it does POP. But you cant say an email client "sucks" because it doesnt have 'decent scriptibility' - how many users REALLY would use this?! And rule-based triggering is only nice to have if you would use it, but it, like all the others, doesnt make its ability to handle IMAP mail any less. I for one hate tree-display 'threaded' view and ALWAYS turn it off. Force it on me and I will rate the client as 'sucks'

IMAP mail handling essentials are (for example):
  • handle IMAP protocol as per RFC rules
    Speed (it actually operates at a decent pace so as not to hinder the user or production)
    Identities
    Offline Support
    etc
Im guessing this is written by an American with their colourful turn of phrase to describe the graduations on a sliding scale from "1 = Sucks" to "10 = F### Yeah! (I quote)" with no other rating or graduation in between. I acknowledge he has a point of view/opinion on what HE would judge to be the ULTIMATE client, and I accept this. But he isnt speaking for everyone (One man's feature is another man's annoyance). I also note this was written on 2010. Things change and evolve.
5.7 on test.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2015-10-13 12:38

jimimaseye wrote:I completely disregard his rant for one simple reason: he makes it clear that his intention is to review IMAP mail handling by titling the review as "The Best IMAP Client...." instead of simply "The Best (email) Client...". His emphasis is the "IMAP". And yet, he then goes off to list his reasons for clients failing his 'review' such as

all of which are arguably NOT necessary for an IMAP client to be functional
I think you miss understood his list, he was ranting about this list :D :
  • reliable offline mode
    Japanese compatibility and UTF-8 support
    indexed search
    rule-based triggering of custom processes
    multiple identities (addresses/servers)
    SSL/TLS support
Of cause not.But the RFC's arround IMAPv41 are not strict enought and this reflects in diffrent Server and Client Products (one of theese problems is out beloved UID Outlook Problem) But this is NOT HMS specific, all the IMAP-Servers/Clients running in the same situation at some point. The Problem Reports of Users according to IMAP are countless.Just type IMAP in Google and you will find myriads of blog/forum posts of users ranting about Problems with IMAP in various Server/Client Setups.But POP3 is a diffrent talk. Yeah, its old, its not sexy ect but its more predictable and stable for many users.

I think one big Problem for Businesses, ISP's and Powerusers (with hugh inboxes, we talking about 600 GBytes of IMAP Data and more for just one User!)

His Userexperience is something like this:
It can handle my 60,000-message personal/business archive, but not that plus the 500,000 or so messages of archived mailing list mail (had to move those to gmail, which also sucks). With a bunch of accounts, it sometimes takes over ten minutes to quit cleanly (on an 8-core '09 Mac Pro)
If this is true then i really begin to understand the countles forum and blog posts of desperate users all over the internet and why some switching over to activesync, mapi and POP3 where ever possible to avoid imap.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-10-13 14:19

I suspect that the Mac Pro is part of the problem

Mac Mail client is very buggy. Nearly as bad as Outlook doing IMAP IMHO
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Griffith Simister
New user
New user

Post by Griffith Simister » 2015-11-15 03:58

I am still so off. Are whole business is run off of Gmail. I have been told I need a better business solution. It is just so easy because everyone in the office has them for home use which I don't.
Dr. Griffiths

rsfeller
Senior user
Senior user

Post by rsfeller » 2017-01-04 02:39

I'll take my iMail over 90% of these solutions as well as the Outlook version we have laying around. All work well...very well.

quattros
New user
New user

Post by quattros » 2017-01-28 04:35

Thunderbird and Opera Mail, along with Eudora for archiving.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2017-02-12 14:29

I am a staunch Outlook user (not the subscription service and I have no experience with it but the Local PC Based Version of Outlook). I currently have Outlook 2010. I was exposed to Outlook as a programmer at my employers. When I got my own Personal Computers for home use. My criteria was:
1. I wanted something that was fairly well recognized as a standard PC Email Client among various businesses.
a. Advantage was I was familiar with Outlook from my job.
b. I wouldn't have to learn a different system.
c. Familiar features.
d. Outlook is a major Local PC Email Client used by many major businesses/employers.
2. Outlook was very reliable for me with few problems.
a. Note though I use Outlook as a POP Email Client and not IMAP so my implementation may be more reliable due to POP protocols being simpler than IMAP (I believe IMAP is more complex but not from first hand knowledge).
3. Outlook has a lot of flexibility for my needs being able to aid in my monitoring abilities of my girlfriend's Outlook usage by allowing me to set up rules which help me to automate the running of our household
a. Passing notifications to my girlfriend's Outlook and setting up rules to store these notifications in a separate folder automatically for her as she is not very computer adept.
4. I do not like Web Mail Clients as they can lead to a lot of SPAM not necessarily for myself but rather for my Contacts/Address Book entries.
a. My theory is with Web Mail Clients, hackers go after the email accounts on Email Servers such as GMail, Comcast, Yahoo, etc. because there are hundreds of thousands of email accounts on these email servers to try to hack into resulting in a greater chance of succeeding at hacking somewhere.
b. Once such an email server account is hacked the hacker reads the Contacts/Address Books and then starts sending SPAM to all these Contacts either as that email account user or the hacker sends the SPAM directly himself or sells the hacked Contacts to someone else who does.
c. Local PC Clients (Outlook is an example) don't have this problem because a hacker most likely isn't looking for their computer as it doesn't typically have an Email Server on that computer though those of us who use hMailServer may have this email server on our computers.

If I were to use a different email client other than Outlook, although I don't have any personal experience with it, I would probably pick Thunderbird because for a Freeware Email Client, Thunderbird is a well known, well used, and has good reputability as being a development from Mozilla which has a high interest in developing secure applications. I would tend to trust this email client somewhat over some of the less well known email clients and it does have the advantage of being Freeware.

My opinion of Outlook is a bit prejudiced as I've been throughout my career a liker of standardization of tools such that you don't have a slew of different applications that all do basically the same simple function of Email Client as this means less effort in having to keep up on different usage of different email clients making things simpler.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2017-02-12 15:53

Hmm, the more i study answers in the thread it seems Outlook is (since the late 90s) the Major
MUA (Mail User Agent) and PIM (Personal Informationmanager).

But this is only true for Small, Midsize-Offices and large size Businesses.

The Private side looks very different:

60% are using Googles GMAIL,
30% Microsofts Hotmail/LiveMail/Outlook.com
10% Thunderbird/Mutt/other Webmail services.

I thin one of Outlooks main assets is the fact it can do some Personal Information Manager (PIM)
and Groupware operations like Companywide Calender, Address Book, delegate Tasks ect. and
this requires (in the Outlook World) a Microsoft Exchange Server or something similar.

The IMAP v4.1 Support of Outlook is not reliable or cool at all. To make it worse.
MS-Exchange didnt support POP3 from the Start and some Companies (in the past)
needed a POP3-Connector and a Relayserver Add-On to forward Emails.

Connector Thirdparrty Payware Add-ons

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2017-02-12 23:00

Dravion,

Possible reasons for your observations on the Personal Users use of email clients:
1. Outlook is a paid email client (not sure if you can get as a separate application or only in the MS Office Suite package only). In the MS Office Package it can be a bit expensive.
2. Without the stats to support my belief, of the Freeware PC Email Clients other than Web Mail Clients, I would suspect Thunderbird would be very popular as it is free and supported by a major Freeware Provider Mozilla.
3. For personal use I have always used Outlook and used it as a POP3 email client and have had very little problems using it as a email client.
a. I do not have Microsoft Exchange Server and have always accessed Email Servers (hMailServer included) using Outlook with no real problems with a caveat that AT&T (Powered by Yahoo) doesn't want to support Outlook
usage and you frequently will get server interruption errors sometimes so bad you can't receive email for a while but when using hMailServer the reliability is superb.
b. Outlook gives you the capability to access a POP3 email server or Microsoft Exchange Server in the same Outlook application. Just specify what type of email account or other server connection you are creating.
4. Outlook as a POP3 email account still gives you Calendaring, Contact, etc. functions just not as robust or convenient to use as Microsoft Exchange Server is.
5. GMail, Yahoo, Comcast, etc. users are not necessarily very technical and do not want the expense of Outlook. These services are Web Email Clients (and if you read my objections to Web Email Clients you know I consider
Web Email Clients to be a security concern). However, all the email services are accessible using Outlook as the Email Client.
6. Though I'm not personally familiar with Thunderbird, I would probably use Thunderbird if I had to go to a Freeware Email Client. I know many people who use Thunderbird for their email clients for freeware access.
7. Outlook is as you've observed the major business email client and that is why I have stuck with using it as I didn't want to be using something that was not being majorly used. Again I believe in Standardization and Outlook
seemed to fill that bill as close as I could find to this criteria. Example if you have to communicate with the party you are trying to do email with and that other party doesn't know how to use their email client very well but
because they are a business they have Outlook, you can at least speak on the same terminology to instruct them about what you are doing. Also it would be easier for you to find someone who knows Outlook if you need help
than to find someone who knows how to use SquirelMail.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

Nishagupta
New user
New user

Post by Nishagupta » 2017-02-16 11:28

I am mostly using Gmail and yahoo account to send emails to multiple people which is very safe and secure.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2017-02-17 04:35

Nishagupta,

As I state in my earlier posts, I do not believe GMail and like email servers when using them with the Web Email Clients to be very secure. GMAil can be hacked just as easily as another Email Service. The hackers I refer to do things such as guess the email account password. This has happened to many of my acquaintances and the hackers then read your Address Book/Contacts and then start sending malware emails to the people in your Address Book/Contacts.

Use of a PC Local Based Email Client such as Outlook or Thunderbird has a tendency to reduce this type of insecurity from happening because even though your email service may be for instance GMail your address book/contacts if you use a PC Local Based Email Client such as Outlook or Thunderbird is located on your PC and not on GMail so even if your GMail Email Account does get hacked there isn't any Address Book/Contact information to be compromised.

So be aware of this distinction when declaring GMail to be secure.

rsfeller
Senior user
Senior user

Post by rsfeller » 2017-08-07 13:40

So nothing is new in the last 10 years. Boo.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2017-08-07 14:43

Dont worry, iam about to write a complete new Email-Client.
Check back in 10 Years +

AndreL
Normal user
Normal user

Post by AndreL » 2017-08-09 11:05

Main HM clients:

- Outlook 2010 - 2013 - 2016
- Windows live mail 20xx
- Smart device clients : android and IOS

Outlook 2016 is going to replace Windows Live Mail.
Some lacking feature in HM to support Outlook IMAP automated mapping.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2017-08-09 19:36

I have read some forums where it was claimed by the users that Outlook 2010 was less problematic under Windows 10 than the other versions such as 2013 and 2016. I use 2010 and few problems but have noticed recently in 2010 that it will not download picture links. I don't know if this is a problem in 2010 or the server which the pictures are downloaded from but while I have not looked to see if this is the case, I believe this is happening pretty much with most of the picture links I run across these days but mostly I have been noticing it with my bank's emails which where I see a lot of picture links compared to other places I get emails from.

Snatch
New user
New user

Post by Snatch » 2017-10-08 12:23

Thunderbird / Outlook

Alan Bell
New user
New user

Post by Alan Bell » 2018-01-01 18:39

I've tried every email client I could get my hands on. To give context, I average around 250 emails per business day. I get a lot of system generated notifications, and I need to keep tabs on a lot of topics/issues. I tried MS Outlook, Airmail, Spark, Postbox, and Canary Mail, to name a few. All have pros and cons, with my least favorite of the bunch being Spark. I ultimately settled with MS Outlook for two reasons: It's the only client that has "real rich text editor" capability. By that, I mean Excel tables copy as tables, HTML content (mainly tables) copies as HTML tables. Other email clients tend not to work too well with Excel (copies as images), and with HTML tables, etc. Although this is not necessarily the case for everyone, I had issues with folder synchronization. This has more to do with the email server architecture my company uses (it's a proprietary IMAP architecture). If you're using Exchange or Gmail, you will unlikely face this issue. I found offline handling of the "Archive" folder problematic with Postbox, Canary did not have an option to designate folders to keep offline, etc. It all depends on your usage at the end of the day, and if you tend to work a lot with Excel, if you use your email as a task manager, etc. If you do, then Outlook probably is best for you. If you don't, I really like the Canary UI. Airmail is extremely customizable. And Postbox has a very "clean" interface. You will like this article https://www.cleverfiles.com/help/best-m ... lient.html Any of them should do you nicely.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2018-01-02 12:08

I recently have read Microsoft is releasing a new Microsoft Office 2019 which is supposed to be available in the latter half of 2018.

JohnDavros
New user
New user

Post by JohnDavros » 2018-01-23 11:32

Hexamail Flow. It has great automation features and plays well with Gmail and my work accounts.
https://hexamail.com/flow/

topper
Normal user
Normal user

Post by topper » 2018-03-28 17:56

Becky! or Sylpheed

Both are good, one is business software, the other is open source software.
ESXi -> hmail.v5.6.9B2607 + ClamAV + SpamAssassin

fjansen04
Normal user
Normal user

Post by fjansen04 » 2018-03-28 18:32

HMS 5.6.9-B2587.46 on Windows Server 2019

Luna Moon
New user
New user

Post by Luna Moon » 2018-05-01 17:35

Alan Bell wrote:
2018-01-01 18:39
I've tried every email client I could get my hands on. [...] I ultimately settled with MS Outlook
I also use MS Outlook for work, even though I don't have to handle as many emails each day as you. I also agree with your mentioned positive points. Overall it's user-friendly in my opinion.

ShiningDragon
New user
New user

Post by ShiningDragon » 2018-05-12 21:42

RChadwick wrote:
2015-07-04 16:23
What does everyone else use? Do you like it?
On Windows: Mozilla Thunderbird (with following AddOns: CardBook <for my Nextcloud CardDAV>, DKIM Verifier, DSN Settings 2, Lightning <for my Nextcloud CalDAV>, Nextcloud for Filelink <for my Nextcloud Attachments> and "LookOut" for crappy Outlook Attachments)
On Android: AquaMail - besides K9 it's one of the few MailApps, which are accessing the Mailserver without any Proxy. For Example the crap Outlook-App: It's using YOUR credentials for emai-access on server, even if none of your mobiles is online. Nice to see with hMailServer... and of course inacceptable. The usage of Outlook App (and others) forced me to change all of my LDAP Passwords for the used accounts.
I love hMailServer - my one and only mail-solution.

AidySmith
New user
New user

Post by AidySmith » 2018-07-07 13:07

I mainly use Horde, simple and easy to use.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2018-07-11 22:25

AidySmith wrote:
2018-07-07 13:07
I mainly use Horde, simple and easy to use.
Horde + Nine Android is really really good.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2018-10-09 12:49

Anyone upgraded their Thunderbird to v60 yet? (A considered review here: https://silvercircle.github.io/2018/06/ ... erbird-60/)

Im extremely nervous of doing so as they have gone down the webextensions route following Firefox which effectively wrote off most of my useful addons. That said, the review above says you can still 'enable' old style addon compatibility (....for now!)

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/ (note it is NOT offered as an 'update' - you have to download and install over the top).

If anyone does it I would like to hear your thoughts.
5.7 on test.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2018-10-09 16:27

jimimaseye wrote:
2018-10-09 12:49
That said, the review above says you can still 'enable' old style addon compatibility (....for now!)
don't believe a word. i have about 20 addons. 2 were working after upgrade. tweak tricks for config are bs.
returned back to 52.9.1
Katip
--

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2018-11-30 15:09

Outlook 2003 SP3 on Windows XP SP3 8)
Outlook 365 (latest)
eM Client (latest)
iPhone X/iPad default mail app (latest)
Android default mail app (Huawei P8 & P9Lite)
Roundcube webmail 1.3.3
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

erkc29
New user
New user

Post by erkc29 » 2019-01-09 09:11

Everyone's favorite is MS Outlook.

Kendo
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Kendo » 2019-06-23 14:39

jimimaseye wrote:
2018-10-09 12:49
Anyone upgraded their Thunderbird to v60 yet?
Yes. Some plugins had to be upgraded, but the ones that I depend upon, mainly "Clippings", are ok.
Which mail client?
Thunderbird of course... ideal for managing multiple accounts. I have used it since it began and would not recommend any of the other nonsense at all.

Kendo
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Kendo » 2019-06-23 14:50

erkc29 wrote:
2019-01-09 09:11
Everyone's favorite is MS Outlook.
Only because they find it already installed with Windows and don't bother looking for an alternative.

I don't know if they have changed it much or not, but one big no-no was the way they hide the sender's email address. If anything, that should be most obvious, especially to novices who shouldn't open every email that they get.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-06-25 03:19

Outlook is not pre-installed on any Windows product I have ever had.

Maybe you are confusing Windows Mail App pre-installed on Windows 10 as being Outlook. It does resemble Outlook but it is not Outlook and a bit restricted in features compared to Outlook.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-06-25 03:29

jim.bus wrote:
2019-06-25 03:19
and a bit restricted in features compared to Outlook.
You're being so kind. :D

It's a prime example of how M$ continues to go downhill. However, it does support activesync (poorly), so there's that...

Kendo
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Kendo » 2019-06-25 07:00

jim.bus wrote:
2019-06-25 03:19
Outlook is not pre-installed on any Windows product I have ever had.

Maybe you are confusing Windows Mail App pre-installed on Windows 10 as being Outlook. It does resemble Outlook but it is not Outlook and a bit restricted in features compared to Outlook.
Solly, when we had our computer shop XP was the new flavour. But most install MS Office just to get Word and ended up using that version of Outlook.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-06-25 12:26

Kendo wrote:
2019-06-25 07:00
Solly
Made me think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_G2a2hL6U

Btw. I spent 3 years in Singapore and it took me probably the first 3 month to get over the stereotypes of Brittish Indian and Japanese R's. Lah.
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.