SpamAssassin 3.4.0-RC5 Install Procedure

Use this forum for discussions about SpamAssassin and anti-spam in general.
percepts
Senior user
Senior user

SpamAssassin 3.4.0-RC5 Install Procedure

Post by percepts » 2014-02-16 14:38

Please see link below for most uptodate version:

http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... 08#p164408

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jam Software offer free windows binaries of SpamAssassin. The free version requires a litlle work to get it working as a service integrating with hmails SpamAssassin SpamD call. There is a paid for version which is simpler and has some nice auto update features but with a little work you can also schedule auto updates using the free version.

The following relates only to the free version.

You need two Microsoft programs, INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE to install SpamD.exe as a daemon service.
If you don't have these then you can get them by installing Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

Then run cmd.exe in widows and enter:

"c:\path to\INSTSRV.EXE" SpamAssassin "c:\path to\SRVANY.EXE"

the above just creates an empty wrapper service for spamd.exe

Next download the SpamAssassin setup.exe version from JAM Software and install it where you want it following instructions.
You may need to switch off your firewall during this install so that it can auto update to latest spam rules during install. It will then create some firewall rules for you. Then switch firewall back on.

Once installed, open up Regedit and do following to put spamd.exe into the empty spamassasin wrapper created above.

Go to HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> SpamAssassin

Add a new key called under SpamAssassin of "Parameters"

In Parameters, add a new String Value of Application, and set the value to:
"c:\path to\spamd.exe" -l -s "c:\path to\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=85

Then create a second String value in Parameters of AppDirectory with value
"c:\path to spamassassin install folder"

Then go to the Services Control Panel and start up the SpamAssassin service.

If there are any issues, check the c:\path to\spamd.log file for more info

If all is OK then goto hmailsevrer / settings / Anti Spam / SpamAssassin Tab

enable and Save.

then

Host should be localhost
Port is 783
tick "Use Score from SpamAssassin".

Then hit the test button. This seems to take quite a while to respond but should give you some test output with a spam score in it.

Then in Anti Spam general tab, set your Spam Mark threshold. SpamAssassin default is 5 so to begin with use 5.

Set your Delete threshold depending on whether you just want to mark as spam or delete. If you don't want to delete/reject back to sender, then set delete threshold to a high value such as 1500 and see how it plays out over time adjusting to taste.

And read all of the spamassassin docs which come with the install. Especially SA-UPDATE which you will need to run to keep your spam rules up todate.

Good Luck

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Re: SpamAssassin 3.4.0-RC5 Install Procedure

Post by Bill48105 » 2014-02-16 17:05

Thanks percepts very nice!
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-02-16 18:23

only problem is that the test email that hmail generates takes 40 seconds to process. That seems a tad long to me. Now I'll have to trawl through configs to find out where the time is being spent.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-02-16 18:27

Is Razor2 a must have ?

There doesn't seem to be 64bit PPM version for 64bit Perl? Unless anyone has a PPM repository for it.
I'm using activestates win64 repository currently.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2014-02-16 18:40

40 seconds IS a long scan. DNS issue or a failing test? need to do a debug lint test of sa from command line.

yeah razor2 helps a ton here so it'd be a loss but not a deal breaker for most I'd imagine.

I don't really deal with perl on windows a whole lot.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-02-16 18:55

It was DNS lookups causing long lookup time.

changing the above "Application" string value to following (just add -L to end) makes the lookup almost instant.

Code: Select all

"c:\path to\spamd.exe" -l -s "c:\path to\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=85 -L
And interestingly the razor2 missing messages have disappeared so I'm happy for now.

And if you want to debug you can just add -D as well and your log file will be extremely verbose with timestamps for everything.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-02-16 19:12

Just found the root cause of the problem. It was missing allow outbound in firewall for spamd.exe and that was why dns lookups were timing out and it couldn't find external razor2 files.
With firewall fixed and using DNS lookups its still pretty quick.

So problem solved but a heads up to anyone installing the jam software package because it creates allow inbound firewall rules when it should be creating outbound allow rules.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-03-19 16:32

Additional Information:

The spamassasssin registry setup above uses:

"c:\path to\spamd.exe" -l -s "c:\path to\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=85

My own setup now uses:

"c:\path to\spamd.exe" -l -s "c:\path to\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=20 -L

you will see two differences. I have reduced the child timeout from 85 to 20 seconds and I have added the -L parameter.

The -L parameter tells spamassassin not to do any external lookups. Those external lookups include DNSBL and SURBL lookups as well as other lookups such as razor2. By removing the external lookups the time taken for spamassassin to do its stuff is reduced (on my system) from around 8 seconds to between 0.1 and 0.3 seconds per incoming email.

Some of those external lookups are done by your hmailserver DNSBL and SURBL lookups. So you shouldn't be doing both hmail lookups and spamassassin lookups because you are duplicating time cosuming spam tests. Either disable your hmail DNSBL and SURBL lookups and don't add the -L parameter or enable your hmail DNSBL and SURBL lookups and add the -L parameter to spamassassin registry settings.

I would try using the -L parameter to begin with, enabling DNSBL and SURBL in hmail and if that doesn't give enough protection then switch to external spamassassin lookups at the cost of additional time being taken to do them.

and run sa-update.bat on a regular schedule to keep your SA rules upto date.

Tezcatlipoca
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Tezcatlipoca » 2014-04-24 14:53

Just out of interest, how do I tweak the SpamAssassin configuration, and especially the required score?
Currently, every email I get through has the following line embedded into its headers:

X-Spam-Status: No, score=<whatever the score is> required=6.3
It's the Required Score I want to change.
In the etc\spamassassin folder there's a file called local.cf that seems to have a line for setting the required score level, but I set it to the following:

#   Set the threshold at which a message is considered spam (default: 5.0)
#
required_score 5.0
then stopped and started the service, but it doesn't seem to make any difference; all emails are still checked against 6.3.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-04-24 15:53

yes that file should overide the updates.

which service did you restart, Hmailserver or spamassassin ?

and since you have it set to 6.3 you must have set it to that originally as the default is 5. So how did you manage to set it to 6.3 ?

Tezcatlipoca
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Tezcatlipoca » 2014-04-24 16:34

percepts wrote:yes that file should overide the updates.

which service did you restart, Hmailserver or spamassassin ?

and since you have it set to 6.3 you must have set it to that originally as the default is 5. So how did you manage to set it to 6.3 ?
I only restarted the SpamAssassin service; should I restart hMailserver as well?

As to 6.3, I don't ever remember putting it in to be honest, and can't find where that would be set.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-04-24 16:39

its the spamassassin service which should be restarted after changing that file.

Are you sure you aren't a changing a copy of that file and not the live one ? i.e. check your paths etc to where the live files are.

the required score is set in your local.cf file as you have done. Was it set to 6.3 before you changed it 5.0 ?

Are you using user specific rules in some way which have their own cf file ? (although I didn't think you could with hmail).

Tezcatlipoca
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Tezcatlipoca » 2014-04-24 18:05

I'm making these edits to the local.cf file in the C:\sa\etc\spamassassin folder. That's the only configuration file I can see that seems relevant.

Even after multiple restarts of the SpamAssassin service, I can see in the spamd.log file that SA continues to check against this mysterious 6.3 setting.
Looking through all my anti-spam settings in hMail, 6.3 doesn't appear anywhere.

As to rules, I have a single global rule that grabs any email with [SPAM] in the subject and chucks it into a holding account so can monitor the levels.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-04-24 18:15

the 6.3 isn't set in hmail, its only set in sa config files.

what does its say when you hit the test button in hmail on the spamasassin panel. The test result shows what the required value is.

There are other places where the required score can be set.

You will find another local.cf in spamassssin updates folder but that should be overridden by the one you have been editing and is also replaced everytime you you run sa-update if there are any updates.
Same with 10_default_prefs.cf

There is also userprefs.template but I'm not sure that is used but may be if you've been fiddling with settings. I couldn't say and you haven't told me and probably won't remember.
Last edited by percepts on 2014-04-24 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Tezcatlipoca
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Tezcatlipoca » 2014-04-24 18:28

percepts wrote:the 6.3 isn't set in hmail, its only set in sa config files.

what does its say when you hit the test button in hmail on the spamasassin panel. The test result shows what the required value is.

And the config file is set at 5.0

Which means either that's not the right file, or it is but the changes haven't been honoured.
D'you think a restart of the server is in order?

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-04-24 18:34

I modified previous post. Please re-read it.

I don't see how a server restart would make any differnece but you can try if you like.

Tezcatlipoca
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Tezcatlipoca » 2014-04-25 12:19

Right, odder and odder.

I did a blanket search for every .cf file within the C:\sa folder and all its sub-folders.
I then loaded every file into Notepad++ and did a blanket search for '6.3'. Not one hit.

Second search for 'required_score'. Two hits, one in C:\sa\etc\spamassassin\etc\local.cf and one in C:\sa\share\3.004000\updates_spamassassin_org\local.cf. Both were marked as 5.0 (which was what I set it to).

No matter how often I restart the SA service, the log file - and the TEST button in hMail - continues to display a required mark score of 6.3

I've searched the Registry entries for SA under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SpamAssassin and no reference is made to any required score.

Where the hell is this 6.3 coming from? Is it possibly an embedded default value which cannot be changed!?

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-04-25 12:35

I can't help anymore.

You're saying there are no files on your system containing 6.3 and spamassassin says you are using 6.3.

6.3 is not an SA default so you must have set it and you don't remember how or where.

did you use jam software spam in a box and has that got a setting for it ?

Have you put required score in your local.cf file twice and and only changed one of them ?

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-04-25 14:32

are you using some unusual OS setup which caches the OS and programs and you are not updating/refreshing it ?

And did you reboot your server ?

Tezcatlipoca
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Tezcatlipoca » 2014-04-25 15:36

Nope, and nope.

I'll try a reboot over the weekend to see if that helps, but it's something of a mystery.
Not an impossible one, since I can fall back on other spam filters further along the chain to catch most of the stuff; it's just a little odd that SA sees perpetually stuck on measuring against a score of 6.3.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-04-25 15:53

Instead of restarting spamassassin service, go into task manager and end processes srvany.exe and spamd.exe. And then start spamassassin service again and see if that makes a difference.

Tezcatlipoca
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Tezcatlipoca » 2014-04-25 16:28

percepts wrote:Instead of restarting spamassassin service, go into task manager and end processes srvany.exe and spamd.exe. And then start spamassassin service again and see if that makes a difference.
Done, and no difference; SA still marks everything against 6.3.

TBH, I think I'm just going to give up on this fine tuning of SA. A lot of spam scores 20+ so is caught anyway, and the stuff that's currently scoring between 3.0 and 5.0 and is clearly spam can be dealt with.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2014-06-26 11:01

Anyone here knows how to change the report language for e-mail marked as SPAM by SpamAssassin?
I noticed localized files are available, but i have absolutely no clue how to use them, eg:
30_text_de.cf
30_text_fr.cf
30_text_it.cf
30_text_nl.cf
30_text_pl.cf
30_text_pt_br.cf

Since 99% of our users are Dutch I would like to load 30_text_nl.cf
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-06-26 14:51

configuring spamassassin is not an hmail support question. You should ask question at spamassassin support forums.
Also it is clear to me that you have not read and understood the docs that come with spamasssassin. Doing so would educate you as to what it is you're working with and how to use it.

jeffshead
Normal user
Normal user

Post by jeffshead » 2014-07-26 04:32

percepts wrote:And read all of the spamassassin docs which come with the install. Especially SA-UPDATE which you will need to run to keep your spam rules up todate.
percepts, in order to automatically update, did you just add a Windows task to run 'sa-update.bat'? If so, how often do you update and how do you make SpamAssassin restart/reload with the new updates?

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-07-26 11:14

in your spamassassin folder there is SA-Update.bat (I think unless I created my own, I don't remember). I just run that daily from windows task scheduler

Also create a bat file to stop and start the spamassassin service and run that from task scheduler.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-07-26 12:08

note that you could combine them both into one bat file and also whilst SA is not running cycle your spamd log file. It only requires some very elementary windows batch file knowledge.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Version 2: SpamAssassin 3.4.0-RC5 Install Procedure

Post by percepts » 2014-08-02 19:27

*** This version superceeds first post in topic. ***

Jam Software offer free windows binaries of SpamAssassin. The free version requires a litlle work to get it working as a service integrating with hmails SpamAssassin SpamD call. There is a paid for version which is simpler and has some nice auto update features but with a little work you can also schedule auto updates using the free version.

You need two Microsoft programs, INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE to install SpamD.exe as a daemon service.
If you don't have these then you can get them by installing Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools

Next download the SpamAssassin setup.exe version from JAM Software and install it where you want it following instructions.
You may need to switch off your firewall during this install so that it can auto update to latest spam rules during install. It will then create some firewall rules for you. Then switch firewall back on.

Once installed, open up Regedit and do following to put spamd.exe into the empty spamassasin wrapper created above.

"c:\path to\spamd.exe" -l -s "c:\path to\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=20

"c:\path to spamassassin install folder"

enable and Save.

then

Host should be localhost
Port is 783

Then hit the test button. This seems to take quite a while to respond but should give you some test output with a spam score in it.

Then in Anti Spam general tab, set your Spam Mark threshold. SpamAssassin default is 5 so to begin with use 5.

Set your Delete threshold depending on whether you just want to mark as spam or delete. If you don't want to delete/reject back to sender, then set delete threshold to a high value such as 1500 and see how it plays out over time adjusting to taste.

And read all of the spamassassin docs which come with the install. Especially SA-UPDATE which you will need to run to keep your spam rules up todate.

Good Luck

abinning
New user
New user

Post by abinning » 2014-08-12 20:42

I followed your guide and it seemed to work perfectly (except for the quotes in the AppDirectory String).
When I hit test for hmail it comes back great, and the test shows up in the spamd log.
But, aside from the test button hmail seems to be ignoring spam assassin. I have tried sending GTUBE messages and it just goes right through. Nothing is being marked as spam.

hMail version 5.4.2-B1964
spamd.log

Tue Aug 12 11:38:25 2014 [-4360] info: spamd: connection from server.rsdomain.local [127.0.0.1]:52760 to port 783, fd 6
Tue Aug 12 11:38:25 2014 [-4360] info: spamd: processing message (unknown) for (unknown):0
Tue Aug 12 11:38:29 2014 [-4360] info: spamd: identified spam (1004.5/6.3) for (unknown):0 in 4.3 seconds, 109 bytes.
Tue Aug 12 11:38:29 2014 [-4360] info: spamd: result: Y 1004 - GTUBE,MISSING_DATE,MISSING_HEADERS,MISSING_MID,MISSING_SUBJECT,NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE,NO_RECEIVED,NO_RELAYS,TVD_SPACE_RATIO scantime=4.3,size=109,user=(unknown),uid=0,required_score=6.3,rhost=server.rsdomain.local,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=52760,mid=(unknown),autolearn=no autolearn_force=no
Tue Aug 12 11:38:30 2014 [4368] info: prefork: child states: II
local.cf

# This is the right place to customize your installation of SpamAssassin.
#
# See 'perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf' for details of what can be
# tweaked.
#
# Only a small subset of options are listed below
#
###########################################################################

#   Add *****SPAM***** to the Subject header of spam e-mails
#
rewrite_header Subject [SA_SPAM]

#   Save spam messages as a message/rfc822 MIME attachment instead of
#   modifying the original message (0: off, 2: use text/plain instead)
#
# report_safe 1

#   Set which networks or hosts are considered 'trusted' by your mail
#   server (i.e. not spammers)
#
# trusted_networks 212.17.35.

#   Set file-locking method (flock is not safe over NFS, but is faster)
#
# lock_method flock

#   Set the threshold at which a message is considered spam (default: 5.0)
#
required_score 5.0

#   Use Bayesian classifier (default: 1)
#
use_bayes 1

#   Bayesian classifier auto-learning (default: 1)
#
bayes_auto_learn 1

#   Set headers which may provide inappropriate cues to the Bayesian
#   classifier
#
# bayes_ignore_header X-Bogosity
# bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Flag
# bayes_ignore_header X-Spam-Status

#   Some shortcircuiting, if the plugin is enabled
# 
ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Shortcircuit
#
#   default: strongly-whitelisted mails are *really* whitelisted now, if the
#   shortcircuiting plugin is active, causing early exit to save CPU load.
#   Uncomment to turn this on
#
# shortcircuit USER_IN_WHITELIST       on
# shortcircuit USER_IN_DEF_WHITELIST   on
# shortcircuit USER_IN_ALL_SPAM_TO     on
# shortcircuit SUBJECT_IN_WHITELIST    on

#   the opposite; blacklisted mails can also save CPU
#
# shortcircuit USER_IN_BLACKLIST       on
# shortcircuit USER_IN_BLACKLIST_TO    on
# shortcircuit SUBJECT_IN_BLACKLIST    on

#   if you have taken the time to correctly specify your "trusted_networks",
#   this is another good way to save CPU
#
# shortcircuit ALL_TRUSTED             on

#   and a well-trained bayes DB can save running rules, too
#
# shortcircuit BAYES_99                spam
# shortcircuit BAYES_00                ham

endif # Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Shortcircuit

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-08-12 21:10

SA only runs when sending if the user is NOT authenticated.
It will always run on incoming mail from external addresses.

Works for me when I send Gtube string in an email from an external address

abinning
New user
New user

Post by abinning » 2014-08-12 21:25

I tried sending the messages from my Gmail account.

Return-Path: username@gmail.com
Received: from mail-ig0-f182.google.com (mail-ig0-f182.google.com [209.85.213.182]) by mail.rscivil.com ; Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:28:20 -0700
Received: by mail-ig0-f182.google.com with SMTP id c1so7587458igq.15 for <andrew@rscivil.com>; Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:26:03 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type; bh=q4O+cb4s2THjDye3jawfYN+lQA7Vzz8VVR09K5CdfHs=; b=0QZ3iZjHs1e822t6HOmi4K55Ilf8MwONpIcVQrGNnNpJkn2O3gFIx+XAisfkYTOXe+ rJ0DX7GpfmW+rkam5XggzO8gbZsKTdwU+QR8Ug89ydGiTkfivdOEyg7hn4dHqNWe/zyv iBxREKorROGWpclcqWoXREjwkB/QyPVgQsDmhfypFvi21JLRY5PF/M8fw+k/lD+tjTHK cWXuYKdbTpxs/25YHm6dleGdih3kOKKu0VFLylPxE+4U5cL9smwkZWN2idnV+Oy+Pvql QYiORxnDYjeDL1jaqHE/710kaRZHNT/swcU2JFzjoxm2Sndbw3HEEnpzp/ap/ZZibNdV g97g==
X-Received: by 10.42.189.73 with SMTP id dd9mr496475icb.84.1407867963921; Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:26:03 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by 10.64.163.7 with HTTP; Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:25:43 -0700
Message-ID: <CAM5bRcNXUOLkYWoWS+wt03iWB7d36zgm+=EpzzC_ftE970b_2g@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: GTUBE
To: me <me@rscivil.com>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=20cf303ea622e159d2050072cd11

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-08-12 21:35

an observation for you to resolve.

in your hmail test it says required score=6.3

in the local.cf you showed it says required score=5.0

please resolve that discrepancy. I have no idea why they are different but it should be obvious that the test is getting its params from somewhere else.

AND

if I send Gtube from gmail to myself then it gets flagged as spam.

AND

run SA-Update to be sure you have the latest rules files and that your firewall is not blocking the update.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-08-12 22:16

have you enabled spam checks in your IP-Range settings ?

is your "maximum message size to scan" set correctly ?

abinning
New user
New user

Post by abinning » 2014-08-12 22:44

I am still trying to find out why the required score is different, but is is correctly rewriting the subject line, to I believe it is reading the correct config files.

I am mostly wondering why I get zero log entries, except when I push the test button. If hmailserver is using SpamAssassin, should I not get some log entries?

I also added this to the local.cf so I could get a spam assassin score on all mail.
add_header all Score _SCORE_
rewrite_header Subject [SA_SPAM] (_SCORE_)

abinning
New user
New user

Post by abinning » 2014-08-12 22:52

percepts wrote:have you enabled spam checks in your IP-Range settings ?
None of my ip ranges had anti-spam or anti-virus checked. This is it. It seems to be working now.
Do I need to check both the range for the email server and the Internet?
percepts wrote:is your "maximum message size to scan" set correctly ?
It was set to 1024, which should be large enough for most spam, but I bumped it up to 5000.

Thanks for all the help!

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-08-12 22:56

yesy set antispam and av on both mycomputer and internet range. That way any internal mail will be checked which is no bad thing.

But also check out about the required score as I mentioned above.

SniffTheGlove
Normal user
Normal user

Post by SniffTheGlove » 2014-08-25 01:24

Hello, some help if possible.

I have gone through the install notes above and I have a problem with the Service.

I have installed the SpamAssassin-setup file from Jam. It is installed to C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\

I created the Service using c:\temp\Instsrv SpamAssassin c:\temp\srvany

The service is shown in Services and in properties it shows the path to executable as c:\temp\srvany.exe

I then modified the registry
HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> SpamAssassin
I Added a new key called under SpamAssassin of Parameters

In Parameters I added a new String Value of Application and then set the value to
"C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\spamd.exe" -l -s "C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=20

I then created a second String value in Parameters of AppDirectory with value
"C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\"

I then went to Services and started the service and got an error message Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start blah blah

Looking at the service SpamAssassin properties shows the executable path to still be c:\temp\srvany.exe

Looking at the SpamAssassin Registry HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> SpamAssassin there is a setting for Im,agePath and this has a value of c:\temp\srvany.exe, so I change if for "C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\spamd.exe" and then try to start the service. I still got the same error.

Could someone copy their Registry entry for SpamAssassin and past it here so I can see how it should be and even if there should be an imagepath.

NB
There is no Spamd.log file being generated. It might getting confused with quote marks or not. Any help would be greatful
--
Sniff

hMailServer 5.6 B2145 on Windows 7 Pro Workstation (My Mini Server running Mail,Web and DNS)

9657d3c8658701f14294f87a8ee0d878

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2014-08-25 03:43

SniffTheGlove wrote:Hello, some help if possible.

I have gone through the install notes above and I have a problem with the Service.

I have installed the SpamAssassin-setup file from Jam. It is installed to C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\

I created the Service using c:\temp\Instsrv SpamAssassin c:\temp\srvany

The service is shown in Services and in properties it shows the path to executable as c:\temp\srvany.exe

I then modified the registry
HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> SpamAssassin
I Added a new key called under SpamAssassin of Parameters

In Parameters I added a new String Value of Application and then set the value to
"C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\spamd.exe" -l -s "C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=20

I then created a second String value in Parameters of AppDirectory with value

I then went to Services and started the service and got an error message Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start blah blah

Looking at the service SpamAssassin properties shows the executable path to still be c:\temp\srvany.exe

Looking at the SpamAssassin Registry HKLM -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services -> SpamAssassin there is a setting for Im,agePath and this has a value of c:\temp\srvany.exe, so I change if for "C:\Program Files\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\spamd.exe" and then try to start the service. I still got the same error.

Could someone copy their Registry entry for SpamAssassin and past it here so I can see how it should be and even if there should be an imagepath.

NB
There is no Spamd.log file being generated. It might getting confused with quote marks or not. Any help would be greatful
It is correct that ImagePath should point to "c:\temp\srvany.exe" - if this is where the executable file is...

I have my "srvany.exe" in my SpamAssassin directory... I have another copy of "srvany.exe" in my ClamAV directory as I had problems running both instanses off of the same "srvany.exe".
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

SniffTheGlove
Normal user
Normal user

Post by SniffTheGlove » 2014-08-25 20:18

Thanks there.

I deleted and uninstalled JAM Spamassassin and the reg file, then started again and I put srvany.exe into the JAM Spamassassin folder.

I got everything running ok'ish but I could not get SpamAssassin as a service working. It would start howevery I don't believe it was actaually running SpamD.

So I tried running SpamD from the cmd prompt and it would run fine but then I got a few errors when trying to get hMailServer to work with it. Even though I had run sa-update.bat the error logs would keep telling about rules folder not being found and I need to run sa-update. After a few hours I have deleted it all again
--
Sniff

hMailServer 5.6 B2145 on Windows 7 Pro Workstation (My Mini Server running Mail,Web and DNS)

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2014-08-25 20:27

SniffTheGlove wrote:Thanks there.

I deleted and uninstalled JAM Spamassassin and the reg file, then started again and I put srvany.exe into the JAM Spamassassin folder.

I got everything running ok'ish but I could not get SpamAssassin as a service working. It would start howevery I don't believe it was actaually running SpamD.

So I tried running SpamD from the cmd prompt and it would run fine but then I got a few errors when trying to get hMailServer to work with it. Even though I had run sa-update.bat the error logs would keep telling about rules folder not being found and I need to run sa-update. After a few hours I have deleted it all again
TcpView can tell you which processes are running and listening on what IP ports.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb897437

It's part of Windows Sysinternals...
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb842062
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-08-25 21:01

SniffTheGlove wrote: I then created a second String value in Parameters of AppDirectory with value
there should be no trailing \ in this parameter as per original post.

and in my AppParameter I have

"g:\hmailserver\spamassassin
that is an opening " at position 1 and no closing "

Methinks there is a little trickery in the free version of spamd making it very difficult to use as a service if you haven't worked it out. And it may change...

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Version 2: SpamAssassin 3.4.0-RC5 Install Procedure

Post by percepts » 2014-08-25 22:11

*** This version superceeds all previous versions in this topic. ***

"c:\path to\spamd.exe" -l -s "c:\path to\spamd.log" --max-spare=2 --max-children=20 --timeout-child=20

"c:\path to spamassassin install folder
Note that above starts with " in postion 1, has NO trailing \ and NO closing "

enable and Save.

then

Host should be localhost
Port is 783

Good Luck

p.s. Please can a moderator modify first post in topic to point to this one. Thank you.

SniffTheGlove
Normal user
Normal user

Post by SniffTheGlove » 2014-08-25 23:30

It is now all working correctly and SA-Update.bat is on 12hour daily schedule.
--
Sniff

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-08-25 23:41

spamassassin rules are not updated that often. Sometimes for weeks or months. I changed my update to weekly now.

Its the dns blacklists and surbl that get updated very frequently and you don't need to worry about frequency of update for those by using sa-update. They are automatically there without you doing anything.

SniffTheGlove
Normal user
Normal user

Post by SniffTheGlove » 2014-08-26 21:00

Thanks
--
Sniff

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2014-08-26 21:41

I use a custom ruleset (KAM.cf) that appear to be updated daily, so I do daily updates...

net stop spamassassin
sa-update.exe -v --nogpg --channelfile UpdateChannels.txt --refreshmirrors
wget -q http://www.pccc.com/downloads/SpamAssassin/contrib/KAM.cf -O c:\spamassassin\etc\spamassassin\KAM.cf
net start spamassassin
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
Yes, a 'nix tool... Old habits die hard :mrgreen:
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

Snorkasaurus
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Snorkasaurus » 2014-09-03 18:31

SorenR wrote:I use a custom ruleset (KAM.cf) that appear to be updated daily, so I do daily updates...

net stop spamassassin
sa-update.exe -v --nogpg --channelfile UpdateChannels.txt --refreshmirrors
wget -q http://www.pccc.com/downloads/SpamAssassin/contrib/KAM.cf -O c:\spamassassin\etc\spamassassin\KAM.cf
net start spamassassin
Hey SorenR,

You may also want to stop/start the hMailServer service as well in that script to avoid the possibility of a message arriving at "just the right time" and missing SpamAssaassin while it is updating. Certainly not mandatory, just sayin'. :-)

S.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2014-09-03 19:28

Snorkasaurus wrote:Hey SorenR,

You may also want to stop/start the hMailServer service as well in that script to avoid the possibility of a message arriving at "just the right time" and missing SpamAssaassin while it is updating. Certainly not mandatory, just sayin'. :-)

S.
"They" have to be _very_ lucky then... The script take anything from 10 seconds to 23 seconds to complete, it's a very small window of opportunity :mrgreen:
SørenR.

― Edmund Burke

Snorkasaurus
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Snorkasaurus » 2014-09-03 20:07

I actually do something fairly similar in my nightly script... but I am enough of an anti-spam-nazi that I shut down hMailServer for the intervening few seconds. :-)

PS: I had a quick look at that KAM.cf and will have to look at it a little more in depth. Good find there.

S.

Trendecide
New user
New user

Post by Trendecide » 2014-10-01 21:22

I've been looking at implementing SpamAssassin on my Win box for years, but was convinced SA went hand-in-hand with Perl. I refuse to install Perl... ever... again. Intrigued (and lazy) I just purchased Jam's SpamAssassin in a Box, installed, turned on SA in my hMail settings and boom baby! My server's spam has been cut by 3/4... out of the box. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Now just to figure out the optimal settings....

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-10-02 16:52

they got you :mrgreen:

look in your SA install directory, you will find perl58.dll

SA uses perl pretty much throughout. All the rules are coded using perl/nix regex. But all it needs is the windows perl58.DLL and not a full install of perl.

cigar3tte
New user
New user

Post by cigar3tte » 2014-11-13 23:52

Is it possible to get the free version to work under Windows Server 2012 R2 x64? I can't even get past the step to run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\INSTSRV.EXE" SpamAssassin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\SRVANY.EXE". I'd get an error saying command isn't recognized,

If I do INSTSRV.EXE SpamAssassin SRVANY.EXE, I'd get "The fully qualified path to the .EXE must be given".

If I do INSTSRV.EXE SpamAssassin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource Kits\SRVANY.EXE" from the local directory, I'd get "Unable to find the file at the given path".

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-11-14 00:44

Have you installed INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE as detailed in the first post of this topic ?

cigar3tte
New user
New user

Post by cigar3tte » 2014-11-14 00:54

percepts wrote:Have you installed INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE as detailed in the first post of this topic ?

Yeah, they do not work under 64-bit environment. I got it working with NSSM's wrapper (http://iain.cx/src/nssm/).

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-11-14 01:03

I run windows 7 64bit and they run absolutely fine so maybe its your OS version.

leshan
New user
New user

Post by leshan » 2015-04-13 16:50

Hi percepts,
Would you share more detail about 'run sa-update.bat on a regular schedule'
I created a scheduled task using windows task scheduler. But I got (0x1) error.

my task configuration:
1. General:
run whether user logged on or not under administrator
2. Actions:
Program/Script: "C:\Program Files (x86)\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\sa-update.bat"
Start in: C:\Program Files (x86)\JAM Software\SpamAssassin for Windows\

Thanks

percepts wrote:Additional Information:

and run sa-update.bat on a regular schedule to keep your SA rules upto date.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-04-13 17:03

My update command is contained within my nightly hosekeeping/backup BAT file (called from scheduler).

As fas I know the command needs to be thus:

sa-update.exe -v --nogpg --channelfile UpdateChannels.txt

So first check your BAT file says this.

My BAT file in scheduler is run in scheduler as "run whether logged on or not." similar to your call. And it all works.

Dont forget to tun the service off before updating, and then start it again after.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

leshan
New user
New user

Post by leshan » 2015-04-13 17:50

jimimaseye, thanks, stop and start service worked. Didn't know that I need to stop the service to run the BAT. I ran the BAT manually without stop the service successfully.

Here is my BAT file
net stop SpamAssassin
net start SpamAssassin
jimimaseye wrote:My update command is contained within my nightly hosekeeping/backup BAT file (called from scheduler).

As fas I know the command needs to be thus:

So first check your BAT file says this.

My BAT file in scheduler is run in scheduler as "run whether logged on or not." similar to your call. And it all works.

Dont forget to tun the service off before updating, and then start it again after.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-04-13 18:58

Youre welcome.

The service loads the definitions into memory and holds them. So you have to stop and then restart after to update and make the new definitions current.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829