Allow outbound Spamassassin scans when authenticated

Use this forum if you want to suggest a new feature to hMailServer. Before posting, please search the forum to confirm that it has not already been suggested.

Outbound spamassassin scans when sender is authenticated ?

1 Yes, this would be a useful option
79%
2 No, I use spamassassin but don't need this
14%
3 I don't have spamassassin so it would make no difference to me
7%
4 what's spamassassin
No votes

Total votes: 14

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Allow outbound Spamassassin scans when authenticated

Post by percepts » 2014-02-23 18:03

Please can we have an option to allow Spamassassin outbound scans even if user is authenticated.
An option in spamassassin panel to enable/disable outbound scans when authenticated would be useful.

djhabana
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Allow outbound Spamassassin scans when authenticated

Post by djhabana » 2014-02-26 16:19

Something to add on this is, if the mail has then been seen as spam, that it would add it to the users draft (and not send it) or (Unsent-Spam XOXO) so that the user can know whether the mail would be seen as spam or not

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2014-02-27 01:46

This should be pretty easy to do based on my recollection of the code when I was in that area but some people might not want it or only for some users/domains which complicates things. What I might do is next time i'm in there add an OPTIONAL setting to not skip scanning of auth'd mail as a starting point as I should be able to do that in as much time as it takes me to type this response but anything beyond that will have to wait until we've had time to think thru the optional conditions. (Btw the funny thing is I SWORE hmail scanned even auth'd email's since there is such a delay in sending from email clients so now I'll have to investigate what is being done during the delay)

btw in terms of djhabana's suggestion, I don't ever see that happening.. For one is that'd be IMAP specific & many use POP. But also it'd be such a non-standard thing to do I really don't see it being done. Perhaps it needs it's own feature request instead of piggy backing on this one.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-02-27 02:23

from my perspective I would be quite happy for SA scan to be done on all outgoing mail at a server level rather than user or domain level.

One thing I think is neccessary, having considered it a little more is an outgoing reject threshold. I think some users never delete incoming spam and just mark it so their delete threshold is set high. However, from my perspective, if you can stop outgoing spam when it reaches SA required score rather than using incoming hmail delete threshold that would be very useful. i.e. it would protect your server from sending out spam whilst allowing incoming spam to be marked as spam but not deleted so that you don't lose any false positives.

p.s. for all I know that may already be how it happens, I haven't tested it down to that level (yet).
Last edited by percepts on 2014-02-27 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-02-27 02:42

djhabana,

my test when I switched off authentication actually rejects the mail send back to the sender with a 554 error and spamAssassin reject message so the sending user is immediately notified because the mail fails to be accepted by hmail.
I don't know what happens when you are using automated sending.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-07-22 16:04

Also see Topic

http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=26788

perhaps they could be merged into this POLL as...

"allow spam and virus checks on local outbound when authenticated"

AyrA
New user
New user

Post by AyrA » 2014-08-19 19:51

This feature would be really great.
I have 16K accounts on my server so outgoing spam is an issue.

kipp
New user
New user

Post by kipp » 2014-12-04 05:17

I have been fighting infected users PC's for the last 2 days. I really need this.

I've been looking for scripts in the forums to assist with this to fill the gap. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

sckramer2
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sckramer2 » 2015-04-07 02:05

Any chance we can have this Martin? Even tho it's miles down the feature request list? Get bit by this all the time--

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2015-06-26 19:01

I agree this would be a very useful option, today one of my users had his account hacked/hijacked and his account has been spamming like hell :(
As far as i can see, SpamAssassin would have triggered on these e-mails because the IP send from are all on at least one blacklist, and the terms used in these mails...well what can i say, f*** this, su** that and the alike!
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

AyrA
New user
New user

Post by AyrA » 2016-03-31 16:16

I like to push this up again. I am in the process of deleting about 200'000 e-mails from the queue which are spam.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-14 23:43

bump

lots more votes please :wink: