New address for SVN

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
martin
Developer
Developer

New address for SVN

Post by martin » 2012-01-11 21:22

The official hMailServer SVN repository is now located here:
http://hmailserver.com:60951/svn/hms

:)

Edoardo
New user
New user

Re: New address for SVN

Post by Edoardo » 2012-01-13 01:01

Hey Martin,

how to get/request access to the repository?

Thank you.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-01-13 04:03

Edoardo,
Is it asking for user/pass even for read access?
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

Edoardo
New user
New user

Post by Edoardo » 2012-01-13 10:40

Yes, it is prompting authentication even for read access.

Thank you.

rtrainer
New user
New user

Post by rtrainer » 2012-01-16 22:20

Any chance that this can be fixed soon. I stumbled upon hMailServer and found it will allow me to add some features to our internal infrastructure.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-01-17 07:09

martin has been notified but no response yet. (He is the only one who can fix it or adjust the settings)
Bill
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver

Nick Berardi
New user
New user

Post by Nick Berardi » 2012-01-17 16:46

Hi Bill,

Thanks for posting this notification. Very interested in seeing what has changed. Just as a quick question, I want to preface my question with the fact that I know Martin is in charge of all this stuff and what he says goes, but is there really value to constantly hosting your own SVN server given that the source to hMailServer is open source? Why not upload it to any number of providers that host SVN servers, to name a few.
As I said I am always willing to turn over the GitHub repository if it will actually be used. If you want to check out the SVN interface just type in "https://github.com/hMailServer/hMailServer".

I guess my real concern is that open source is suppose to be about openness and free sharing of information, changing the URL often and not having any reference to the URL on the home page, doesn't accomplish most of the tenets of open source.

All this is said with a vast amount of appreciation for the hardwork of Martin and yourself, and knowing the fact that Martin is in charge.

Nick

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2012-01-17 18:49

That may well be a viable option in the future but right now Martin want's to host it locally, probably because he has his regression system in place that automatically creates a new build on commit and uploads to the server. You can't do that with github et al!
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

rtrainer
New user
New user

Post by rtrainer » 2012-01-17 19:01

What version is on GitHub? I am really interested in getting the latest source code so that I can add a bunch of tracking features that will help with one of our products.

Nick Berardi
New user
New user

Post by Nick Berardi » 2012-01-17 19:06

^DooM^ wrote:You can't do that with github et al!
Yes you can. Besides hooking up the obvious polling system which has the build server check for new commits, you can hook up to their service hooks system which notifies something of a new commit.

Here is an example of one that sends an HTTP Post on commit.

http://help.github.com/post-receive-hooks/

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2012-01-17 21:41

I stand corrected. Still, it will save bandwidth being all local.

Nick Berardi
New user
New user

Post by Nick Berardi » 2012-01-17 21:54

^DooM^ wrote:I stand corrected. Still, it will save bandwidth being all local.
Actually that is not quite true either. While yes you might save a few bytes here or there. It is really negligible for a continuous integration build server. Because the build server will have a local repository that mirrors the server repository, you will only download changes. To understand how negligible this will be, you have to understand that GIT differs from SVN in that GIT only downloads patches for changes made, not the whole file like SVN does. So often the changes (or patches) never get very large for continuous integration environments like the one we are talking about.

For example say a new line was added to some C++ file, and that is all that was changed. In SVN, it will download the whole file, in GIT it will just download a patch for that one line. As a real world example, here is a change that was made in November by Bill.

https://github.com/hMailServer/hMailSer ... 001e4e4135

to see what would actually be downloaded just add patch on the end of the URL.

https://github.com/hMailServer/hMailSer ... 4135.patch

And you see exactly what is going to be downloaded for that change.

Secondly ignoring all the arguments above, from what I see about the frequency of the commits and builds that are made, this is pretty much a non starter as an argument.

Nick

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2012-01-18 02:05

Ahh thats pretty neat but still I doubt it will be moved there any time soon. I would personally prefer Martin to spend time on hmail as opposed to spending the time integrating with a new repo when this one works just fine ( aside the anon username config issue currently ).

ldsandon
New user
New user

Post by ldsandon » 2012-02-01 23:47

Nick Berardi wrote: For example say a new line was added to some C++ file, and that is all that was changed. In SVN, it will download the whole file, in GIT it will just download a patch for that one line.
It's funny how the DVCS crowd believes they invented the wheel. Even the old CVS is able to send only changes to a modified file, remember it was designed when networks were much slower than today - and it worked.

nikhilsinghal
New user
New user

Post by nikhilsinghal » 2012-02-22 04:12

The SVN is still requiring UN/PW. Can we please request Martin to take a quick look?

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-02-22 04:45

We have notified him numerous times & he has told us he would look at it numerous times so not much else that we can do.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2012-02-22 12:45

feel free to try yourself martin@hmailserver.com

teco
Normal user
Normal user

Post by teco » 2012-02-24 12:58

Would it be possible to create a "backup" location for SVN or a Tarball download until Martin has time to change the settings?

^DooM^ or Bill48105 could have the latest sources...

... Just an idea to share ...

yon
Normal user
Normal user

Post by yon » 2012-05-08 08:19

When to release a new version? we waiting for long time....
IPv6 Email Public Service www.ipv6china.com World's first

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-05-08 21:50

yon wrote:When to release a new version? we waiting for long time....
Official releases: Martin
He's been very busy with work & personal life. No idea when, he says 'soon' for year now lol He did a LOT of updates/fixes/tweaks on source last month to prepare for release finally but got busy with work/life again.

Unofficial experimental releases: Bill48105
I've been very busy with personal life like my son having brain surgery & working when I can since taking care of my son & all his appointments consumes much of my time especially lately. I'll likely release another experimental in next week or 2 with martin's changes he's committed to SVN source & others done locally on my copy but most are far from urgent/critical to be super excited about. None the less still nice to keep the project active & always a chance the changes help someone.

Boils down to priorities in life & available time which unfortunately hmail isn't super high on the list at the moment nor is free time plentiful. The good news is 5.4 has been very stable for me & seems for others as well aside from wish-list items people have.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2012-05-08 23:43

Running latest experimental in production.. solid as a rock!

yon
Normal user
Normal user

Post by yon » 2012-05-09 13:03

Bill48105 wrote:
yon wrote:When to release a new version? we waiting for long time....
Official releases: Martin
He's been very busy with work & personal life. No idea when, he says 'soon' for year now lol He did a LOT of updates/fixes/tweaks on source last month to prepare for release finally but got busy with work/life again.

Unofficial experimental releases: Bill48105
I've been very busy with personal life like my son having brain surgery & working when I can since taking care of my son & all his appointments consumes much of my time especially lately. I'll likely release another experimental in next week or 2 with martin's changes he's committed to SVN source & others done locally on my copy but most are far from urgent/critical to be super excited about. None the less still nice to keep the project active & always a chance the changes help someone.

Boils down to priorities in life & available time which unfortunately hmail isn't super high on the list at the moment nor is free time plentiful. The good news is 5.4 has been very stable for me & seems for others as well aside from wish-list items people have.

I am understand this. me too. running network not my job. my hobby. :D
Because the economic environment is not good, so I am a little time to do these. And I also take care of his family in the hospital.
I hope Add new features in new version. now I am do ipv6 mail service for public. such as Bind to more IP.

Hmail More famous... So hmail should keep update . :wink:
IPv6 Email Public Service www.ipv6china.com World's first

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-05-09 15:50

yon wrote: I am understand this. me too. running network not my job. my hobby. :D
Because the economic environment is not good, so I am a little time to do these. And I also take care of his family in the hospital.
I hope Add new features in new version. now I am do ipv6 mail service for public. such as Bind to more IP.

Hmail More famous... So hmail should keep update . :wink:
Well if you are in same boat & understand one would think you wouldn't hound us about it. ;)

We all want hmail to be better & stay active but like I said priorities in life change and for me hmail is far from top right now but not by choice. Hopefully that will change soon but I can't predict the future.
Bill

EngineeredVirus
New user
New user

Post by EngineeredVirus » 2012-06-03 12:26

How do I track the code of the last stable release? hMailServer 5.3.3, build 1879

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-06-03 16:22

EngineeredVirus wrote:How do I track the code of the last stable release? hMailServer 5.3.3, build 1879
hMailServer 5.3.3 was not open source it is closed so only martin has it. For open source you need 4.x or 5.4. 5.x prior to 5.4 was all closed.
Bill

tbrg78_hm
Normal user
Normal user

Post by tbrg78_hm » 2013-12-20 03:37

Hi folks, user "mattg" took me here, because I asked for how to supply potential code changes to PHPWebAdmin.

I tried to get the svn repo and did not succeed, does it work for anybody?
And what about the mentioned repository copy over at github, it has not been updated for 2 years?

thx!

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-12-20 07:01

tbrg78_hm wrote:Hi folks, user "mattg" took me here, because I asked for how to supply potential code changes to PHPWebAdmin.

I tried to get the svn repo and did not succeed, does it work for anybody?
And what about the mentioned repository copy over at github, it has not been updated for 2 years?

thx!
The svn is public read only. As far as I know only martin & myself have write rights. What sort of changes did you make? As far as the github one, that was created by someone outside of hmail in an entirely unofficial capacity. In other words he took it upon himself to grab the source from SVN & post it up there. Think he had good intentions but it never went anywhere & as you see hasn't been maintained and VERY far behind.

tbrg78_hm
Normal user
Normal user

Post by tbrg78_hm » 2014-01-03 06:18

The svn is public read only.
Ok, then there must be some problem on my side additionally, as I could not even get it (Netbeans IDE) to connect/download.
What sort of changes did you make?
I'm in the progress of:
- adding some beauty to the inferface (some icon here and there instead of plain-text links)
- enhancing tab usage (you currently always get redirected to the first tab, whenever you hit "save" or delete a rule e.g.)
- adding move up/down for global/local rules (order of execuction like in win32-admin panel)
- repositioning/relabelling some buttons which do not "fit" in the context. E.g.: There are sections where a "save" button is available, but changes you made actually have been saved already, so the button should be labeled more like "Ok".
- adding some visual enhancements to table rows (switching background color as seen in some sections already)
- adapting the "hmail_rules" roundcube plugin to not fail because of these changes

My intial thread to this is here, I'll post a screenshot of my latest work right now there as well, as it does not belong here, i guess.
http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=156241
Last edited by tbrg78_hm on 2014-01-03 06:30, edited 1 time in total.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2014-01-03 06:27

hmm sounds interesting tbrg78_hm. martin is in the process of setting up hmail on github (well trying to request control from someone else who created it) so that could be useful as you could post your changes as a fork & martin review & merge with official code.

Btw I connected to the repo just fine. you sure you got the right address & port? The above http address works fine for browser too but that's only handy to view specific files vs using svn tool like tortoise

Drop into hmail irc sometime it's much easier to discuss things in there.
Thx
Bill

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2014-01-05 16:46

I've set up an account on GitHub:
https://github.com/hmailserver-dev

This will be the new official location of the source.

If you want to contribute, fork the project on GitHub, make changes to your fork and then send me a pull request and I'll merge the changes into the official repository. The SVN repository will be shut down as soon as I've confirmed that there's no issues producing new builds from GitHub (which I'm doing right now).

enorl76
New user
New user

Post by enorl76 » 2014-05-27 21:39

martin wrote:I've set up an account on GitHub:
https://github.com/hmailserver-dev

This will be the new official location of the source.

If you want to contribute, fork the project on GitHub, make changes to your fork and then send me a pull request and I'll merge the changes into the official repository. The SVN repository will be shut down as soon as I've confirmed that there's no issues producing new builds from GitHub (which I'm doing right now).
Just looked for source to help figure out whats wrong with DeliveryQueueClearer::DoWork but it doesn't appear on github yet as a repository.

Just curious as to what's up with this?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2014-05-28 00:39

Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

enorl76
New user
New user

Post by enorl76 » 2014-05-28 17:46

That one works! Very good. Cheers to martin for hosting on github! :D