Apache web forwarding problem on windows

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Apache web forwarding problem on windows

Post by percepts » 2011-01-06 01:22

I have just tried to forward a domain name to a domain hosted on my home server. First time I've tried this.
I get apache message "You don't have permission to access / on this server." when I try to goto the domain being forwarded.

Anyone got any ideas how to stop that from happening. I guess its an apache conf setting but haven't a clue which.
Domains are hosted at 123-reg and I just specified non framed web forwarding to domain on my PC.

Thanks

mattg

Re: Apache web forwarding problem on windows

Post by mattg » 2011-01-06 02:11

What user do you have Apache running on on your home pc?
Does that user have read and execute permissions for the folder where your web site is?

It's been a while, but I remember having to modify users and permissions for my Apache web server at home.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2011-01-06 02:28

I don't think its user permissions. I tried setting to admin and no difference. I'm running on W2K. The site being forwarded to works fine. The request tries to access my server but it looks like it is using the domain that is being forwarded and not the domain it is being forwarded to.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-01-06 04:57

OK
Looking again at your error message
percepts wrote:I get apache message "You don't have permission to access / on this server." when I try to goto the domain being forwarded.
Is this a config error at the end where you are doing the forwarding. One too many '/' perhaps?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2011-01-06 05:23

no that wasn't the problem. I think I have some problems with my apache conf file which has worked fine till now but I had never tried anything clever with it. But now I try this simple web forward and it doesn't work.
To get around it cos I don't understand the myriad of apache directives, I have put the old domain back into my conf file and used a redirectmatch to send it to my new domain. This works on a test domain and should work when my new domain has dns propogated fully.

Thanks for help anyhow.

p.s. one reason the forbidden message is what you get if you set indexes to -indexes so that directory listings aren't shown. I think the redirect may not have been pointing where it should have been but problem solved for now.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2011-01-06 15:00

I'm wondering if or how I should set my hosts file on w2k. I had to include my domain for hmailserver and originally set it to 127.0.0.1 same as localhost.
I also set my other domains in hosts file using 127.0.0.1 and they work from apache OK. But I'm wondering if they should really be set to my dedicated IP number which have something to do with original problem I had?

Any clues on what IP I should be using in hosts fie and whether I even need hosts records for my other domains?