Forward mail to another SMTP server if user does not exist

This forum contains features that has been archived. This section contains implemented features, duplicate requests, and requests which we have decided not to implement.

Do you need this feature?

Yes please
100%
No thanks
No votes

Total votes: 1

cappie
New user
New user

Forward mail to another SMTP server if user does not exist

Post by cappie » 2010-05-06 09:21

I'd like to request a feature for hMailServer that allows mails to users that don't exist on the current mailserver to be forwarded to another server.

I am aware that this could cause a potential SMTP-loop where mails keep getting bounced between servers. It is not the same as a the SMTP server/forwarder, since that server would be used for all emails going to all other domains.

This option would be placed under the domain settings, as it is only relevant for the chosen domain.

Also, if implemented this functionality should be added to the COM API with the following properties:

- string ForwardServer (the hostname or IP of the SMTP server which would receive all the emails for this domain that aren't located at the current server)
- bool Enabled (speaks for itself)

mattg

Re: Forward mail to another SMTP server if user does not exi

Post by mattg » 2010-05-06 09:44

Have you looked at routes?

I think that this is already possible, certainly it is possible for 'local' mail, ie mail that originates locally. Say for instance that you had a domain email solution that was hosted. You could set up additional accounts on a hmailserver and then if a local recipient doesn't exist that a route would be used.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-05-06 09:45

If user account does not exist on server, then server is not primary MX for that domain. Secondary MXes are not setup same way as primary ones.

If you want to forward non-existent addresses of one domain to other domain, you might be able to do that with catchall account.

cappie
New user
New user

Post by cappie » 2010-05-06 09:58

mattg wrote:Have you looked at routes?

I think that this is already possible, certainly it is possible for 'local' mail, ie mail that originates locally. Say for instance that you had a domain email solution that was hosted. You could set up additional accounts on a hmailserver and then if a local recipient doesn't exist that a route would be used.
Ok, how does this work then?

Lets take an example:

- someone@random.tld sends an email to customer@domain.tld and coworker@domain.tld
- our primary mailserver accepts the message for coworker@domain.tld doesn't have customer@domain.tld so it has to forward it to our secondary mailserver
- our secondary mailserver has customer@domain.tld and thus accepts the email.

How would I configure hMailServer if it were the primary mailserver?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-05-06 10:02

If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

cappie
New user
New user

Post by cappie » 2010-05-06 10:07

^DooM^ wrote:That's exactly what routes are for http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... ence_route
Ah.. my bad.. please lock this thread and kill the poll :P