Imap vs pop and folders...

Use this forum if you have problems with a hMailServer script, such as hMailServer WebAdmin or code in an event handler.
aceinc
Normal user
Normal user

Imap vs pop and folders...

Post by aceinc » 2006-02-01 05:54

Pardon the newbie type question;

My users currently use pop exclusively. I was about to implement a web based imap client. Some of my users will want to use pop mostly, and webmail occasionally, which I believe should work fine.

My question is, if a user creates a folder under webmail using the imap protocol, and moves messages into it, will the pop client ever download these messages?

I have never worked with imap, but it is my understanding that you can create folders, etc. with it.

BTW is squirrelmail currently the webmail of choice?

Paul

CraigHarris
Senior user
Senior user

Post by CraigHarris » 2006-02-02 00:11

POP3 will only pickup the inbox (root folder)

If the client choses to not leave messages on the server then they will not be available over IMAP - the POP3 users will need to ensure they are leaving messages on server --- ideally any user who uses webmail with folders, should change their "normal" client to use IMAP, that way everything remains synchronised and they will be nothing to worry about.

SquirrelMail is webmail of choice with hMail as there are plugins which integrate with hMail.

aceinc
Normal user
Normal user

Post by aceinc » 2006-02-02 00:24

I know that you can either leave messages on the server, or if the client supports it switch to imap. The type of user that I am refering to would continue with everything the way that it is (POP) and when they are out of town, or not able to get into the office they would use webmail to check for new messages.

I assumed that it would only pop the inbox, but I wasn't sure.

So what is the current favorite among webmail clients? I have both linux as well as Windows servers.

Paul

CraigHarris
Senior user
Senior user

Post by CraigHarris » 2006-02-02 01:03

Sounds like the mixture of POP / IMAP will work fine in your scenario, as long as users are aware that if they change the folder of a message on the server before that message gets to client then they won't ever recieve it on client.

SquirrelMail is fine for all webmail needs, other webmail clients to consider are Horde & NeoMail, though neither has currently-available hMail extensions.

xxb49836
New user
New user

Re: Imap vs pop and folders...

Post by xxb49836 » 2019-05-04 22:46

POP (Post Office Protocol) is the conventional technique used by email programs to recover email from an email server.

The key quality of POP is that if you regain your email the messages have been transferred out of HostAway's host into the computer/device you're using.

Emails could be held on the email address for any range of days prior to being deleted (that is dependent on the complex settings on your email app ), letting you download the messages on multiple devices until they are purged.

POP accounts also have a 1 way communication with all our email server only shoving a copy of mail out to every linking apparatus, which makes each device using its own replica of the mails that must be organized separately.

They operate quite autonomously and don't experience quota problems unless getting considerable quantities of email with attachments if they aren't put to purge outdated mails often enough.

You can get further info from ******URL REMOVED **** informative post.

thanks
Last edited by mattg on 2019-05-05 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed as per forum rules

mattg

Re: Imap vs pop and folders...

Post by mattg » 2019-05-05 01:59

13 year old thread, not even a record - but close, I'll give you that
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation