how to know the mail type SENT vs REPLY vs FORWARD

Use this forum if you have problems with a hMailServer script, such as hMailServer WebAdmin or code in an event handler.
naren
New user
New user

how to know the mail type SENT vs REPLY vs FORWARD

Post by naren » 2019-05-11 18:27

Is there a way to know the type of mail whether its a SENT or REPLY or FORWARD mail ?

I created a global rule on "From" criteria and calling a function on "action".

Now in that function, how to know/differentiate whether its a SENT or REPLY or FORWARD mail ?

(or) Is there any other approach to know the mail type on email SENT.

(or) is there any way to create different global rules to run 3 different actions/functions on SENT or REPLY or FORWARD mail ?

Thanks.

mattg

Re: how to know the mail type SENT vs REPLY vs FORWARD

Post by mattg » 2019-05-12 00:34

An email is an email

SOME mail clients track email threads, but mail servers rarely do (if at all)
Mail clients tend to prepend 'FWD:' to the subject of forwards, and 'RE:' to the subject of Replies, but there is no guarantee that this means that a message has been forwarded or replied, and in fact I see many spam mails that start with either a FWD or a RE in an attempt to get past some spam rules

In reality, you can't tell for sure
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Re: how to know the mail type SENT vs REPLY vs FORWARD

Post by katip » 2019-05-12 01:54

servers tend to add headers such as References, In-Reply-To, Thread-Index... if none of them is present, very likely it's an initially sent mail, otherwise either a forward, reply or maybe report. but as mattg suggests, for a server mail is mail, there is no 100% safe criteria for what you want to achieve. at most initial or not by checking those headers, but also that's not 100% safe IMO.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7.0-B2428-LTS-64-bit, MySQL 5.7.24, SA 3.4.2, ClamAV 0.101.2 + SaneS