How to make account list organize/systimatic

Use this forum if you have problems with a hMailServer script, such as hMailServer WebAdmin or code in an event handler.
amraz11
New user
New user

How to make account list organize/systimatic

Post by amraz11 » 2016-07-14 08:11

Can someone tell me how can I make groups for email accounts in HmailServer?
For example one domain have 100 or 200 accounts and how can they organize in different groups?
Like one group for Account department and it contains all accounts department email addresses. If one is
HR department and it contains all its email addresses.
Because now, when I click on accounts in HmailServer it shows very long list of email addresses and it looks bit
awkward. And become difficult to find any particular email address in a very long list.

Thanks
Regards,

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Re: How to make account list organize/systimatic

Post by katip » 2016-07-14 08:34

if you mean just search & find, i don't see any problem. just start typing ;)
Katip
--
HMS 5.7.0-B2428-LTS-64-bit, MySQL 5.7.24, SA 3.4.2, ClamAV 0.101.2 + SaneS

mattg

Post by mattg » 2016-07-14 08:38

You can set up a distribution list for just say everyone in 'accounting' or 'sales'

But in terms of organising the GUI display, there is not much that you can do.

Interesting idea though

This is about as close as I can find in feature requests - feel free to vote for it viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11963
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-14 09:47

I kind of understand what you are asking but how can you find a user name if you don't know what it is the first place. And if you know what it is in first place, then just clicking in list window anywhere and typing first letter of username will position cursor on first username beginning with that letter.

Now if you had been organised and used a sensible user naming convention in the first place it would be easy.

So if your user naming convention format was

dept.surname.initial

and you have several people with the surname smith in the HR dept and several people with surname smith in the accounts dept, they would all appear in a blocks together and would be much easier to find. for example:

accounts.smith.a
accounts.smith.b
accounts.smith.c
hr.smith.a
hr.smith.b
hr.smith.c

but you need to be organised and think ahead before creating your data(user names) in the first place and not shoot first and ask questions later.

probably a bit late for that now if you have several hundred users already.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2016-07-14 10:15

as far as i see "find as you type" works in user listbox (and in tree view as well). so if you know first few letters you land on exact account name.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7.0-B2428-LTS-64-bit, MySQL 5.7.24, SA 3.4.2, ClamAV 0.101.2 + SaneS

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-14 10:39

I'm guessing that most setups use a user naming convention of

firstname.surname

and if you know the surname but not the firstname, then find as you type is not a lot of use to you since a.smith will be near start of list whereas z.smith would be near to end of list which could be several hundred or even thousands of usernames

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-14 17:59

As Matt suggests, you could setup a distribution for each department which may be useful in the long term but addition to the distribution list for a dept is not automatic as there is nowhere to input dept or category for an email account.

You can also setup groups in your IMAP settings but again this is not automated and can't be for same reason as distribution lists.

It would be useful if hmail had a couple of extra inputs in the accounts setup where you could select a group or groups to be added to and distribution list or list to be addedd to so that it is all handled at account setup time or could be manually altered later from the account user panel.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-14 19:05

I have added a new feature request so please vote on it. The idea being that it is actual referential data orientated rather than pure comments which are rarely maintained accurately. This will more simply allow you to categorise accounts and would help. But there's no telling if or when it would get actioned. You can always do it manually now if you want to categorise your accounts into departments as mentioned in previous post.

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=188191#p188191