Send all mail from a certain user through SMTP relayer?

Use this forum if you have problems with a hMailServer script, such as hMailServer WebAdmin or code in an event handler.
ric melia
Normal user
Normal user

Send all mail from a certain user through SMTP relayer?

Post by ric melia » 2005-10-20 09:41

Is it possible through scripting to send all mail from a particular user through the SMTP relay?

The reason I want to do this is:

So far I have discovered two domains that reject mail from my server (not sure why - they don't give me detailed info, just that it was rejected. I assume this is due to no SPF record on my domain / my IP being marked as 'dynamic' by the likes of AOL even though it's not etc etc). I have set up routes for these two (aol.com and supanet.com) to go via my ISP's SMTP server.

I have a mailing list containing about 4500 addresses that's currently managed by a paid for (and not very good) external service. I want to move this onto hMailServer but I'm concerned that a lot of the addresses will reject mail from my server and/or mark them as spam and just delete them (BTOpenworld.com appears to do this - emails are sent and just don't arrive.)

I think that if I can send everything from user x (who is authorised to send to the distribution list) OR everything sent to the distribution list through my ISP's SMTP server it'll work properly.

I don't want to send all my mail through my ISP as it's slower that way!

Thanks in advance

matty
Senior user
Senior user

Post by matty » 2005-10-20 14:00

if you want an affordable email marketing provider, check out email fusion. We use them for our company's email marketing. They are very reasonably priced and offer alot of features. We send thousands of emails per week using their system and never had a problem. They track who opened, read, and clicked in your emails and offer free newsletter content. It is cool stuff, check it out:

http://www.emailfusion.net/

ric melia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by ric melia » 2005-10-20 15:12

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately they're far more expensive than what we currently use (£75/year). Ideally I want to move the list to my own server though as free = better

matty
Senior user
Senior user

Post by matty » 2005-10-20 16:06

Free is always better!!! We send hundreds of thousands of emails a year, and their pricing is good for us, but maybe not for your low volume. We used a different company before that was charging us $1,500 USD/month so we saved a fortune, but anyway...

I am not 100% clear on what you are trying to accomplish. If your IP is being blocked it does not matter what account you send email from.

ric melia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by ric melia » 2005-10-20 16:09

For a certain account, I want to send all mail via my ISP's server. It'd be like setting up a route for a user rather than a domain.

matty
Senior user
Senior user

Post by matty » 2005-10-21 18:36

Check out this thread:
http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2843
where Martin explains how to set up a route that i think is what you are trying to achieve - here is the relevant section:

You need to:
1) Start hMailAdmin
2) Add a new route (under settings->smtp->routes)
3) Give it the name of your domain, company.com
4) As SMTP server, specify your ISP's server.
5) Select Treat route as local domain
6) On the Addresses tab, add your zzz@mycompany.com address

Save.

ric melia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by ric melia » 2005-10-22 12:44

thanks for that matty.. may be the answer i was looking for...

please can someone confirm that this will work:

for mydomain.com, add a route with my ISPs SMTP server specified, add distributionlistname@mydomain.com in the addresses tab.

What I expect that to do is send mail to everyone on the distribution list via my ISPs smtp server