Script for Domain Keys

Use this forum if you have problems with a hMailServer script, such as hMailServer WebAdmin or code in an event handler.
supdake
New user
New user

Script for Domain Keys

Post by supdake » 2009-02-26 17:56

I was wondring if anyone has created a script to implement domain keys. I am using 5.1 and have implemented dkim, and it works great. However, because of the high volume of email that goes to yahoo from my users, I still really want to implement domain keys. I have read through many posts on the forum and know that domains keys is techincally an obsolete standard, but until yahoo gets with the program and stops using it I still need to use it to help keep my emails flowing. Thanks in advance for any help.

martin
Developer
Developer

Re: Script for Domain Keys

Post by martin » 2009-02-26 18:38

Why do you think that implementing domain keys will solve the problem for you?

supdake
New user
New user

Post by supdake » 2009-02-26 19:17

First of all, Martin, thanks for your super fast reply. You are awesome. The reason for me wanting domain keys is simply because implementing it lowers my spam score with yahoo. After going round and round with the admins at yahoo, I finally have given in to their rediculous way of doing thing. The bottom line is that I am not the one writing each of the emails sent through my server, and the people that are sometimes create messages that yahoo assigns a higher spam score. So whatever I can do to start them out with a lower spam score will help me keep their messages getting to the yahoo inboxes. I agree that it is rediculous to support an already obsolete standard, but what can I do?

ajp
New user
New user

Post by ajp » 2009-02-26 20:59

I was thiinking about this as well. It will help me out today, until yahoo decides to start actually using DKIM. It'll also help out with smartermail (by default smartermail scores -10 for a DK_Pass). and other servers. I see references to a C# version of the DK library, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I should be able to make a dll pretty easily out of that. Then take a look at the scripting facilities in HMS.

Anyone know where to get the C# DK lib?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-26 21:12

But Yahoo already validates DKIM signatures - they validate both domain keys and dkim in parallell. I wouldn't assume that using *both* domain keys and dkim would be any better than using just dkim.

(The link to the C# library at http://domainkeys.sourceforge.net/ gives a 404..)

ajp
New user
New user

Post by ajp » 2009-02-26 21:35

Are you sure yahoo validates DKIM? my tests seem to indicate that it ignores it completely. There is no indication of validity on both messages that pass and those that fail. Gmail, for expample, tells you that you've passed or failed. Also the smartermail rule is a big one for me.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-26 21:39

> There is no indication of validity on both messages that pass and those that fail.

Strange. I just tried to send myself a message from my hMailServer installation to an account on Yahoo. The following header was added to the email.

Authentication-Results: mta140.mail.re1.yahoo.com from=hmailserver.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=hmailserver.com; dkim=pass (ok)

ajp
New user
New user

Post by ajp » 2009-02-26 21:56

Mine all say

Authentication-Results: mta502.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=floridacouponnetwork.com; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)

I just noticed that they don't indicate SPF either. Now they may be doing these things and just not telling me about it, but that would be weird.

Are you using Yahoo Pro? Or the free one. I use the free one.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-26 22:03

Free one. (I've registered just to test DKIM with Yahoo..).

I just tried to send me another mail and the dkim=pass wasn't included. Then I tried to send 3 more messages and dkim=pass was included on all of those. Maybe they don't always run it, or they just don't always include it in the header. Maybe some of their servers are configured to run the test while some other aren't. Or maybe they just run DKIM tests if the message is classified as "probably spam". Or something else..

ajp
New user
New user

Post by ajp » 2009-02-26 22:18

I dont know what the deal is. maybe some servers check for dkim and some don't. still until the situation stabilizes, i'd like to at least try my hand at getting at least a primitive domain keys script going. I'll probably start in the next week or so if i have some free time.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-26 22:19

(I've sent an email to Yahoo asking. Not sure if they will reply though.)

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-04-16 00:00

After sending email back and forth, and receiving ~8 email messages with 'canned' responses from their "support"-department, I received the following reply:
We apologize for the lack of information and the frustration your
dealing with at this time. Our policies for use of our SpamGuard
technologies prevent us from disclosing how we use it.
So it's great. Sometimes Yahoo's server will use DKIM and sometimes it won't. They won't tell us why.

It's a fun support department to deal with though. When I ask them why they sometimes do DKIM verification and sometimes do not, they asked me for my zip code.

ajp
New user
New user

Post by ajp » 2009-04-16 02:36

It's a fun support department to deal with though.
Yeah, Ive had the pleasure of dealing with their support for CPC advertising before. After about a week and a half I had my credit card company reverse the charges. Then I got a phonecall, and everything got sorted out. They even gave me a sizable discount just to re-enlist with the service.

Methinks the recession/management has hit their support department particularly hard. It was never all that great though.

jp_reed
New user
New user

Post by jp_reed » 2010-01-13 08:35

I've been trying for a couple days to find the C# library CERN supposedly wrote. At this point, I'm ready to believe it never existed. :)

If anyone can point me to it, I'd be happy to write a domainkeys script...that's what I was gonna do once I found it anyway.

eibrahim
New user
New user

Post by eibrahim » 2010-02-16 04:18

I am looking for a script to add DomainKeys signing to the messages. Anyone? Please help, I have been searching forever.

Thanks.

wingoo
New user
New user

Post by wingoo » 2010-02-20 13:28

is anyone has the domain keys script? will hmailserver support it?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-02-20 18:56

hmailserver will not support domainkeys as it is old and outdated. DKIM is the new version which hMail currently Supports.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

rubypdf
New user
New user

Post by rubypdf » 2010-03-02 19:06

If you still need CERN Domainkeys Library, you can find it here.