Return-Path for Bounces

Use this forum if you have problems with a hMailServer script, such as hMailServer WebAdmin or code in an event handler.
Hotlanta
Normal user
Normal user

Return-Path for Bounces

Post by Hotlanta » 2008-08-09 22:53

I have a newsletter that my users subscribe to. To be in compliance with Yahoo Mail and other ISP's, I have to be sure to clean my bounces out after each mailing. This entails checking the returns to see if they are hard bounces or soft bounces, and then updating my database accordingly. If I keep sending to hard bounces, I will eventually be seen as a spammer.

Most mail lists use the "Return-Path:" header to set a dynamic bounce email address that includes an email ID for tracking the returns back to the specific records. When the mail server bounces the email, instead of returning it to the original sender, it returns it to the "bounce-123456@domain.com" address in the Return-Path. This is very helpful because it allows for an automated solution to managing bounces. Most subscriber lists use this method.

Unfortunately, for some reason, hMailserver doesn't appear to use the Return-Path for mail returns. Instead, it returns mail to the From address, even when the Return-Path has been set. Is there a setting to adjust this?

martin
Developer
Developer

Re: Return-Path for Bounces

Post by martin » 2008-08-09 23:27

> Unfortunately, for some reason, hMailserver doesn't appear to use the Return-Path for mail returns

What type of "mail returns" do you mean? Can you given an example? What type of "mail returns" are generated by hMailServer when you send out your newsletter?