Find rogue WiFi client

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
mikedibella
Normal user
Normal user

Find rogue WiFi client

Post by mikedibella » 2020-05-04 21:44

I've got a rogue WiFi client attempting to access my local network. I see the attempts in my RADIUS logs and have captured the MAC address from calling-station-id.

Now I need software (hopefully freeware/freemium/low-cost) to "find" where this client is. I see there is a bunch of free software on the net that lets one walk around and generate heat maps of Access Points, but I 'm having trouble find a good solution to map clients, hopefully once that includes the ability to filter the list by a know MAC address.

Any suggestions?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Find rogue WiFi client

Post by SorenR » 2020-05-04 22:04

mikedibella wrote:
2020-05-04 21:44
I've got a rogue WiFi client attempting to access my local network. I see the attempts in my RADIUS logs and have captured the MAC address from calling-station-id.

Now I need software (hopefully freeware/freemium/low-cost) to "find" where this client is. I see there is a bunch of free software on the net that lets one walk around and generate heat maps of Access Points, but I 'm having trouble find a good solution to map clients, hopefully once that includes the ability to filter the list by a know MAC address.

Any suggestions?
The only way to locate a "radio" is triangulation. So whatever solution you find you will need 2 mates to help you :mrgreen:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/s ... fich2.html
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-05-04 22:12

SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

mikedibella
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mikedibella » 2020-05-04 23:31

Triangulation is one approach, but it requires more than just two reception points. You need a directional antenna or array to isolate the vector of reception in addition to the signal strength to derive a position. It is accurate but too complex for my needs.

Heat mapping, on the other hard, uses a single moving receiver to plot many, many, position/signal pairs and plot them on a map to generate a visual indication of where the strongest detected signal is. The collection process and analysis is a lot simpler. An exact position can only, at best, be inferred, but this is adequate for my needs since I am assuming the rogue device to be relatively static in position when it is in range of my network.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-05-05 00:15

I reckon it's the bloke in the unironed shirt with the tablet in the white car parked outside.

Just a hunch. :mrgreen:

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-05-07 00:31

try macadress block list in wifi accesspoints?

lower your signal strength on the accesspoints..

put up your own rogue wifi accesspoint preferably with a directional antenna.. get outside .. work it outwards from building.. south east north west where do you pick up taht interesting Macadress .. go visit.. ( or just leave the rouge station on .. sending funny packets .. giving him/her access to a honeypot .. lot of things to play with if you feel you have the time )

( make you own directional wifi accesspoint: take a cardboardbox "insulate" with tinfoil at sides and bottom, place wifiaccespoint inside and direct opening of box to where you want your signals to go )
___________________________________________________________end of the line