Raspberry Pi

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Raspberry Pi

Post by RvdH » 2020-04-08 23:42

Got myself a raspberry Pi (older model, Pi 3 Model B+ rev 1.3)
Basically i purchased it only because i needed a ARM box to flash a USB external device and no other then a ARM flasher was available

Since we are still in lockdown i started playing with it a bit, installed pi-hole (Network-wide Ad Blocking) which basically acts as DNS server for your whole LAN, this works really great and that made me wonder...

Could and has anyone tried to run a raspberry Pi to, be used & is it powerful enough to?
  • Run SpamAssassin
  • Run ClamAV
All in mind to run it, this should be self explanatory, in combination with hMailServer on a Windows box
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/cidrtoregex
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnstools
DKIM Generator: d-fault.nl/dkimgenerator
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnsbllookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/geoiplookup

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by RvdH » 2020-04-08 23:48

Update, ClamAV runs and can be used from within hMailServer, but troublesome...it's a to big resource monster (signatures loading in memory) for the Pi, it consumes more then 90% of the available memory which has resulted in quite a few freezes when trying...

So i would say ClamAV is a no go, at least on the Raspberry Pi 3b+ or earlier versions with limited memory... maybe on a Pi 4b with >1GB memory, the Pi 4b is available in options on installed memory, 1GB, 2GB or 4GB

My first attempt to get SpamAssassin running failed, but i might try that again, as i found another tutorial that is quite different as the one i used the first time

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2020-04-09 04:06

I run allmost the same PI as Standard Gateway Router and Bind9 DNS-Server with Raspian.

Works ok, but i disabled the GUI because its not needed.
Admin task on Device can be done via SSH.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2020-04-09 09:43

Dravion wrote:
2020-04-09 04:06
I run allmost the same PI as Standard Gateway Router and Bind9 DNS-Server with Raspian.

Works ok, but i disabled the GUI because its not needed.
Admin task on Device can be done via SSH.
What benefit will give disabling the GUI, little bit less memory consumption? ClamAV with default signatures will eat around 600MB of ram, with SaneSecurity sigs installed even more, that's simply to much for the pi to run smoothly

pi-hole is basically the DNS server (dnsmasq) on mine, so bind9 is no options here
One thing i learned, looks like once pi-hole is installed, i have to explicitly tell spamassassin (it works as well :!:), but also ClamAv in my first test to listen to 0.0.0.0 apposed to the default 127.0.0.1

To bad the raspberry version of SpamAssassin is also still on 3.4.2, i hoped this would use the latest 3.4.4 so i would not have to rely on Jam Software to update their Windows build

stonefaced
New user
New user

Post by stonefaced » 2020-07-17 12:27

I have set up pi=hole with spamassassin and unbound running on ubuntu
spamassassin is at 3.4.4 and seems to run well
having a few issues with dns but getting there?
I have left clamwin and sanesecurity on the server
It was great to see other users trying these methods

have just setup the same on a PI 4 and it is so much quicker than the PI2
Regards all

just a quick note I made SA listen from the server address ie -A 192.168.0.10