Long shot email recovery

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
bmcn
New user
New user

Long shot email recovery

Post by bmcn » 2019-10-17 22:30

I'm pretty certain there's no miracle cure for this, but our current situation has us in need of recovering data from an email that failed to send through hMail some months ago.

We're not sure what happened but emails stopped being sent out, and if I look to (From memory, forgive me) hmailserver/data/[account]/[specific address]/[the most recent folder] I see the last *.eml files that were sent out around August 10. Any emails that were supposed to be sent out after August 10th or so do not exist and were not received either of course.

Is there any slim chance that we can recover the contents of these emails? Perhaps there's some temp folder that we can check?

Any help or direction in this would be appreciated!

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Long shot email recovery

Post by Dravion » 2019-10-17 23:27

Its all happening inside the DATA Folder.
If hMailServer is sending a qued or scheduled Message, it creates a Temp file at the root of the DATA folder, exactly for the duration until the receiving SMTP has accepted the sending Email.

Long story short:
Check your entire DATA folder and all its Subfolder for EML files. You can open a EML file with a text editor and you will see at the Header there are some source/destination info and a date field. Scan all EML field for the latest date values (from today down to August 9). If your are lucky there are some Emails as EML files left and the DataDirectorySycronizer
deployed with hMailServer can index it. Or simply run the DataDirectorySycronizer.exe Utility, wait a long time and check back if its finished for the missig Emails again with your Email Client.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-10-17 23:29

Dravion wrote:
2019-10-17 23:27
Its all happening inside the DATA Folder.
If hMailServer is sending a qued or scheduled Message, it creates a Temp file at the root of the DATA folder, exactly for the duration until the receiving SMTP has accepted the sending Email.

Long story short:
Check your entire DATA folder and all its Subfolder for EML files. You can open a EML file with a text editor and you will see at the Header there are some source/destination info and a date field. Scan all EML field for the latest date values (from today down to August 9). If your are lucky there are some Emails as EML files left and the DataDirectorySycronizer
deployed with hMailServer can index it. Or simply run the DataDirectorySycronizer.exe Utility, wait a long time and check back if its finished for the missig Emails again with your Email Client.
Especially the root of the data folder, ie ./hmailserver/data/
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

bmcn
New user
New user

Post by bmcn » 2019-10-18 16:56

Thanks, I took a look there but unfortunately few dates lined up with the files available and those that did were either 0 bytes or unrelated. That's pretty much it for options then eh?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-10-19 03:14

If the mail is not in the data folder it has been delivered externally

One more thing to check is your Antivirus chest
Some Antivirus programs are hypersensitive and if you have excluded the data directory from AV scanning then the AV may have moved the emails to the chest.

bmcn wrote:
2019-10-17 22:30
recovering data from an email that failed to send through hMail some months ago.
How do you know that it failed to send?
Is it possible that hmailserver never RECEIVED the message to be sent, and that the failure happened before hmailserver got the message.

It is VERY unusual for hMailserver to not deliver and then fail to notify the sender of delivery failure. NDR is sent via email, so the NDR should be undelivered and in the data folder if it couldn't be delivered either
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation