My Hmailserver professional usage....

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
jimimaseye

My Hmailserver professional usage....

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-08-18 14:35

... is about to come to an end.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, it would seem that the company to whom I operate for and run the Hmailserver installation is about to have a change of direction. Consequently, should this happen, I will no longer be in charge of a business installation of Hmailserver. Its a double whammy for me because:

a, I personally benefit from the use of the email addresses I maintain (including 'on the fly' disposable addresses) and
b, I will no longer have a fully utilised installation to refer to and maintain (that is on the end of a business class IP address).

I will still offer guidance and advice and, if necessary, will have a 'home based' installation on my laptop to run a scripting tests if need be but I woudnt be in a position to real test those that require a business class setup (ie, local DNS server, static ip address, real inbound and outbound SMTP sending, and Spamassassin setup). It also means that important functional scripts that I have referred to and created in the past will no longer be able to test in a working (production) world before sharing them and it makes things a little difficult, I think you'll agree. The worst thing of all this is that apart from running the server as a business requirement, I also consider it hobby and I will no longer be able to continue with it with any kind of useful depth. The upside is that I will no longer have to bother with the uncertainty of ClamAV (or viruses) and its reliability, or have to track down and deal with spam senders and unauthorised mailers (never a fun part of the job).

I will have to resort to Yahoo et al' for my personal disposable address solution (although they are not 'on the fly' and require setup before referring to one) but its just not as much fun. (I do not have sufficient benefit or requirement to want or need to spend money on a personal server).

A bummer.
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: My Hmailserver professional usage....

Post by palinka » 2019-08-18 15:09

Bummer indeed. Maybe you could do what i do, setup on residential ip using ddns and a relay. I only pay $5/ month for my relay service and ddns is free using my domain provider's service (i just pay for the domains, which everyone has to do anyway).

That is, if you have any interest, of course. Sounds like you do, especially for the disposable address thing. Anyway, food for thought.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-08-18 15:16

Already considered but I don't have a machine suitable nor do i think i can justify the cost of running one 24 hours (just for a few personal emails).
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-08-18 15:21

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-08-18 15:16
Already considered but I don't have a machine suitable nor do i think i can justify the cost of running one 24 hours (just for a few personal emails).
I have solar power on my roof. What's one more appliance. :mrgreen:

mikedibella
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mikedibella » 2019-08-18 19:21

Take a look at Google Cloud Platform's free tier. It will allow you to run a very small Linux VM indefinitely. With a little ingenuity you can use it as a bridgehead for incoming mail. Then check out SendGrid's free tier as your outgoing smart relay.

jim.bus
Normal user
Normal user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-08-21 07:53

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-08-18 15:16
As you probably know, I run my hMailServer solely for my personal use. I don't use ClamAV or Spamassasin. I don't seem to have a real need to so far.

1. When I first started using hMailServer. I used only my ISP's Dynamic IP Address and manually updated it when it infrequently changed.
2. Later I started using DDNS which of course you can find many free services for DDNS.
3. I recently obtained a block of Static IP Addresses for a small very reasonable cost each month. I recently started having some trouble with using TeamViewer (Free Personal Use license) for remote controllling my persononal computers and assisting friends. TeamViewer claimed my connections were to commercial endpoints (which is not allowed for personal use) but they didn't say what commercial endpoints they were referring to and I don't know how they would know unless they somehow used my devices MAC address or somehow my IP Address information was sent back to them. If TeamViewer does have my IP Address information then this is what I think may be causing them confusion because I believe my ISP treats the IP Addresses like Business IP Addresses although they will supply them to non-business users of which I am strictly a user of TeamViewer solely for Personal Use and I don't operate any commercial business anywhere. So I believe TeamViewer is confused but in the mean time I just use Remote Desktop Connection.
4. I currently host 4 Domains. And Domains are fairly cheap. I was surprised when I finally looked up how little they actually cost.
5. I have a small handful of Email Accounts (Non-Aliases) and somewhere from 200 to 300 Email Account forwarding Addresses.
6. My transaction volume is no more than an ordinary home user. I am exaggerating but I probably have no more than 40 Received Emails per day and as a guess probably no more than 40 Sent Emails per day as well.
7. I use hMailServer version 5.6.7-B2425 (x86 32 bit).
8. I use MySQL version 8.0.13 x64 bit version in 32 bit Legacy Mode.
9. I use the StartBackup.vbs utility in a scheduled Windows Task to automate backup of my hMailServer Settings.
10. I have a second computer with another installation of hMailServer on the second computer which I use for backup if my primary computer is going to be down for any length of time. Worst case scenario, in most instances, is I probably lose a few emails since I can't readily backup the email messages themselves but I could probably copy the messages over to the second computer but I haven't test whether or not the email messages would be reachable on the copied version (that is would the Database entries match up to the email messages in I believe it is the Data Folder). For the most part I haven't had to worry about this. When I use the second computer as a computer to take over the primary computer's email server function, I merely after the activity above just have to change my Router's Port Forwarding to the Second Computer. I do not have to change my Outlook server entries as I use the External Hostname Address for the Server Name and even though I mostly use Outlook inside my Local Network, Outlook will still find the Email Server since my Router has NAT Loop Back and Port Forwarding will direct the email to the computer which is in use for email.
11. This past week I changed my main computer Email Server to automatically enter Sleep Mode when not being used for 20 minutes. In order to make the Email Server respond to any incoming Email Connections, I set the LAN Adapter to Wake from Sleep when an incoming connection attempt is made and after the Email Server has processed the incoming connection the computer will eventually go back to sleep. This now allows my computer to use less power and produce less heat throughout the day which should reduce my power (energy) costs as well.
12. For instances when my computers are not available at all or my Local Network is down. I also have a free Third Party MX Email Backup Service to store incoming emails when my system is down and forward to my computer with the Email Server when it is back up.

So I believe I have very little cost in running my home personal computer Email Server as I had the hardware to begin with and most people who have home email already have the necessary hardware though increasingly people are resorting to Laptops as their main computers unless it happens to be their Cell Phone or Tablet.

Most of the time I only have to do some small support work on my Email Server (hMailServer). Like you I use hMailServer for my hobby and I also use it for my Email Communications. It is my primary Email Server and I do not use my ISP's Email Service as hMailServer causes me less problems than my ISP's Email Service as they do not like to support use of Outlook. However, I do not host anyone's email for them as I do not guarantee 24x7 uptime.

So unless perhaps you don't have a Tower (Desktop) System running Windows (as I believe a Laptop is not ideal), I don't see where there would be too much cost involved. And I would bet you, with your superior understanding to myself, would be able to set up your system better than I have. I still don't have an automated way to install Let's Encrypt Certificates into hMailServer. I get my Let's Encrypt Certificates from my Synology NAS Server which has an automatic Let's Encrypt utility and automatically renews them each 90 days. I then every 90 days or so check for a new Certificate and Export it out of the NAS and manually install it into hMailServer.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-08-21 14:57

When my 10+ year old "server" finally bit the dust after limping along a while, i bought a no-frills refurb office-style desktop online (no monitor, no extras) for about $140, with SSD and win 10 pro. It's plenty of horsepower for my needs even though it's a very basic system. Then i later bought a larger SSD through an online local swapsheet for very low coin. It was a new takeoff on a system the guy upgraded immediately after purchase and no longer needed.

Anyway, even that's more than many people want to spend on a hobby, but what the hell do I know? I paid $500 for a fishing reel. It's a lifetime investment in fishing and will pay for itself over the long run (in savings is buying a new $150-$200 reel every season - I'm very abusive with them in saltwater), but it's still a lot of money for a hobby. :mrgreen:

Look at it like this - with fishing, i make all my gear. I make all my lures and gizmos except for a few key things (rod, reel, waders, boots). Saves a ton. With hmailserver, i make all my scripts (with very much help from my friends here - thank you all again) which helps me take advantage of things maybe i couldn't pay for, but certainly saves a lot of time and effort over the long run via automation.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2019-08-23 01:38

palinka wrote:
2019-08-21 14:57
When my 10+ year old "server" finally bit the dust after limping along a while, i bought a no-frills refurb office-style desktop online (no monitor, no extras) for about $140, with SSD and win 10 pro. It's plenty of horsepower for my needs even though it's a very basic system. Then i later bought a larger SSD through an online local swapsheet for very low coin. It was a new takeoff on a system the guy upgraded immediately after purchase and no longer needed.

Anyway, even that's more than many people want to spend on a hobby, but what the hell do I know? I paid $500 for a fishing reel. It's a lifetime investment in fishing and will pay for itself over the long run (in savings is buying a new $150-$200 reel every season - I'm very abusive with them in saltwater), but it's still a lot of money for a hobby. :mrgreen:

Look at it like this - with fishing, i make all my gear. I make all my lures and gizmos except for a few key things (rod, reel, waders, boots). Saves a ton. With hmailserver, i make all my scripts (with very much help from my friends here - thank you all again) which helps me take advantage of things maybe i couldn't pay for, but certainly saves a lot of time and effort over the long run via automation.
That is about how i do it, i got a cheap ass (€120,-) intel NUC (nuc6cayh) running a few domains (websites) and my own mailserver on a residential IP address
https://vdhout.nl/2018/02/intel-nuc6cay ... r-hardware

And don't trust the specs advertised by Intel, i have my nuc6cayh running with 16GB RAM installed, and it is running smooth (OK, RAM and a decent SSD gonna cost you some extra....but in my case, the SSD i already had)
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-08-23 05:37

I actually found someone's 'old' server (~5 years old) and re-purposed it.
Added some RAM and some MORE hard drives - it does lots more than just my hMailserver...

@jimimaseye stay close, I'll see if I can find some space on my servers for a VM for you to play on
Is your email address that I have going to stay current? If not pm me or email me before it runs out, and we will see...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-08-23 08:13

mattg wrote:
2019-08-23 05:37
@jimimaseye stay close, I'll see if I can find some space on my servers for a VM for you to play on
Is your email address that I have going to stay current? If not pm me or email me before it runs out, and we will see...
Cheers. I dont plan going away, I will be around the forum as I am now. (I dont see any of my yahoo addresses changing - including the one I have associated to this forum. Somewhere between you, the forum (if different) and SorenR lies contact possibilities.) That said I thank you for your consideration but I cant see that the effort or commitment on your part is worth it. I have all personal emails via yahoo and my laptop for 'playing' with HMS; its just a production/working environment that I dont have or need personally and I am increasingly find it more difficult to find private time to get heavy on script or configs. (In other words, time and effort on a production server was naturally there (and worth it) without it being a hassle but a 7 year old prevents me from doing the same once it has gone.)

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-08-23 14:34

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-08-23 08:13
but a 7 year old prevents me from doing the same
That'll do it. Every time. I keep wondering how old they need to be before resuming renovations on my house. The stuff i do with hmailserver can be done in off-kid time. Even fishing is in the middle of the night. But renovations necessarily have to be done during kid time.