Page 1 of 1

Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-10 12:09
by jimimaseye
Ive just realised I haven't received any 'watched' subscription emails since 3rd August. (I am subscribed for receiving upon postings to all forum sections).

Any one else not receiving theirs? (Perhaps one of the regulars could test PM me to see if I receive that notification too?)

@Martin: could you check the function is still working for me and others please?

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-10 14:38
by mattg
Test PM sent

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-10 16:57
by jimimaseye
Cheers

Yep, I confirm that I never received any notification email for this posting or the PM being left.

@Martin: can you investigate/advise please.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-10 17:50
by mikedibella
I was never able to register with my vanity domain dibella(dot)net and had to use a webmail provider for the forum reg...maybe the issues are related.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 00:25
by jimimaseye
In an attempt to sort it out i thought I would try changing email address. This inactivated my account (hence delay in response) and (supposed to) send an new activation email to the new address. I didn't receive that email either. I also tried registering a new account with a gmail address and that email want received either.

Serious something wrong.

(Cheers to matt for bringing me back from the pit of isolation).

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 03:53
by mikedibella
Well we could start by looking at a successfully received activation email to see where bounces would likely go. From there maybe martin could chime in on whether there is a mailbox to receive them.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 07:41
by mattg
I found the error in the logs

mail.hmailserver.com requires SMTP Auth to send, and the BB isn't doing that.
I have sent Martin an email with the details

He can't get notifications from the forum meanwhile either

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 09:27
by jimimaseye
Connecting to mail.hmailserver.com:25
LINE: 1139 <- 220 VMI74527 ESMTP 
# EHLO localhost
LINE: 1486 <- 250-VMI74527
LINE: 1486 <- 250-SIZE 20480000 
LINE: 1486 <- 250-STARTTLS 
LINE: 1486 <- 250-AUTH LOGIN 
LINE: 1486 <- 250 HELP 
# STARTTLS
LINE: 1531 <- 220 Ready to start TLS 
# EHLO localhost
LINE: 1486 <- 250-VMI74527
LINE: 1486 <- 250-SIZE 20480000 
LINE: 1486 <- 250-AUTH LOGIN 
LINE: 1486 <- 250 HELP 
# MAIL FROM:<No-Reply@hmailserver.com>
LINE: 1155 <- 250 OK 
# RCPT TO:<xxxxx@yahoo.com>
LINE: 1175 <- 530 SMTP authentication is required. 
If only he knew a forum of helpers that could help him configure it correctly. 🤣



( Spot the difference from a time it used to work:
Connecting to mail.hmailserver.com:25
LINE: 1034 <- 220 mail.hmailserver.com ESMTP 
# EHLO localhost
LINE: 1383 <- 250-mail.hmailserver.com 
LINE: 1383 <- 250-SIZE 
LINE: 1383 <- 250-STARTTLS 
LINE: 1383 <- 250-AUTH LOGIN 
LINE: 1383 <- 250 HELP 
At least the forum spammers have been absent since August 3rd due to not being able to register and activate.

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 19:46
by martin
Hehe, thanks guys, I'll check this. I did a complete reinstall some week ago and clearly I missed a step :)

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 19:53
by martin
Okay fixed. It worked when I originally tested it because i tested using my own email address which happened to be 'local' on the email server. Should work better now.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 20:59
by jimimaseye2
Test

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 21:10
by mikedibella
Great. I was able to finally activate the original forum account I created with my vanity email. But I'd like to keep the rank and post counts associated with this account.

When I try to change the email address for this account to my vanity email the forum complains "The entered email address is already in use."

it possible to change both the username and email address of this account to the username and associated address for the other account, and then just delete he other account, under which no posts were ever made?

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 21:30
by martin
What was your new empty user account - mdibella? I guess I can just delete that one, and then you can change account name and email address in your settings?

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-11 23:19
by jimimaseye
mikedibella wrote:
2019-08-11 21:10
Great. I was able to finally activate the original forum account I created with my vanity email. But I'd like to keep the rank and post counts associated with this account.

When I try to change the email address for this account to my vanity email the forum complains "The entered email address is already in use."

it possible to change both the username and email address of this account to the username and associated address for the other account, and then just delete he other account, under which no posts were ever made?
See your p.m's.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-14 01:43
by mikedibella
What was your new empty user account - mdibella? I guess I can just delete that one, and then you can change account name and email address in your settings?
@martin: you can delete the mdibella account now. The email address is now changed on my working account.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-14 03:46
by mattg
Have deactivated it (although I can't delete)

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-30 03:06
by jim.bus
I recently noticed that the Forum did look a little different.

However, for years I've rarely gotten notification emails from the Forum notifying me when a Reply to anything I had myself Replied to or any Replies to any topics I have posted. I once in a great, great while will get a notification email but usually will not get anything. The only way I can usually see if any Replies, etc. are done is to logon to the Forum and look at the Notifications button to see if there are any Notifications indicated. I have always clicked on the links in the Notification Emails to make sure the Notification Emails keep getting sent but to no avail.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-30 08:52
by jimimaseye
jim.bus wrote:
2019-08-30 03:06
I recently noticed that the Forum did look a little different.

However, for years I've rarely gotten notification emails from the Forum notifying me when a Reply to anything I had myself Replied to or any Replies to any topics I have posted. I once in a great, great while will get a notification email but usually will not get anything. The only way I can usually see if any Replies, etc. are done is to logon to the Forum and look at the Notifications button to see if there are any Notifications indicated. I have always clicked on the links in the Notification Emails to make sure the Notification Emails keep getting sent but to no avail.
You will only get emails and notifications if you have subscribed or set to do so. You dont get emails 'just because you once participated' - you may if you have it booked marked or subscribed to it. See your profile settings: USER CONTROL PANEL - Board preferences - Edit Notification Options.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-08-30 10:56
by jim.bus
jimimaseye wrote:
2019-08-30 08:52
jim.bus wrote:
2019-08-30 03:06
I recently noticed that the Forum did look a little different.

However, for years I've rarely gotten notification emails from the Forum notifying me when a Reply to anything I had myself Replied to or any Replies to any topics I have posted. I once in a great, great while will get a notification email but usually will not get anything. The only way I can usually see if any Replies, etc. are done is to logon to the Forum and look at the Notifications button to see if there are any Notifications indicated. I have always clicked on the links in the Notification Emails to make sure the Notification Emails keep getting sent but to no avail.
You will only get emails and notifications if you have subscribed or set to do so. You dont get emails 'just because you once participated' - you may if you have it booked marked or subscribed to it. See your profile settings: USER CONTROL PANEL - Board preferences - Edit Notification Options.
I do not believe that is the problem. I did recently receive a notification perhaps a week or two ago. I also checked where you indicated I should check and all options for Notifications are set for me to be notified. However, I may have just discovered where the problem might be. I was going through my logs just now and I noticed as I have some days ago as well, entries which show where hMailServer.com was sending me emails. I saw the RCPT To Command but I couldn't see where the message actually got delivered. But I saw the message was being sent to me over my MX Backup Email Service Server. So I checked the IP Address against the IP Addresses I specify in Incoming Relays which the help documentation says needs to be specified there so hMailServer will know that the MX Backup Email Server is not the originating server and I found the MX Backup Email Server which was sending me the email for presumably a reply to probably your posting to my Post was being sent to an IP Address which was not in the Incoming Relays of hMailAdmin. I am assuming the MX Backup Email Service I use must have added a new server with a new IP Address. So I have added that IP Address to the Incoming Relays to see if I now get Notifications more consistently.

Although my hMailServer is up mostly 24 x7, the email Notification must have caught a time when it was down for whatever reason. In the logs it looked like the MX Backup Email Server was trying to repeatedly deliver the message to hMailServer which is how I believe the service works which is it will continue to attempt delivery until successful or it reaches its limit of retries. I do not yet know if this is the real fix as I haven't seen a retry yet from the MX Backup Email Server.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 01:20
by palinka
jimimaseye wrote:
2019-08-30 08:52
jim.bus wrote:
2019-08-30 03:06
I recently noticed that the Forum did look a little different.

However, for years I've rarely gotten notification emails from the Forum notifying me when a Reply to anything I had myself Replied to or any Replies to any topics I have posted. I once in a great, great while will get a notification email but usually will not get anything. The only way I can usually see if any Replies, etc. are done is to logon to the Forum and look at the Notifications button to see if there are any Notifications indicated. I have always clicked on the links in the Notification Emails to make sure the Notification Emails keep getting sent but to no avail.
You will only get emails and notifications if you have subscribed or set to do so. You dont get emails 'just because you once participated' - you may if you have it booked marked or subscribed to it. See your profile settings: USER CONTROL PANEL - Board preferences - Edit Notification Options.
I did this: USER CONTROL PANEL - Board preferences - Edit Notification Options

Everything was already checked. I haven't been receiving email notifications for anything since i can't remember when.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 03:16
by mattg
I've just changed my email address to one hosted on my hMailserver rather than my gmail one that I originally had configured (thinking that if my hmailserver wasn't working that access via my gmail account would be useful)

I have a couple of things checked to send via email, I'll include all emails and see how many emails I get from the board.

I did just notice that the board sends via TLSv1.3 which is awesome. Now I have two senders routinely using TLSv1.3 (hMailserver.com and gmail) in addition to my own web apps and local scripts

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 08:22
by jim.bus
mattg wrote:
2019-09-18 03:16
I've just changed my email address to one hosted on my hMailserver rather than my gmail one that I originally had configured (thinking that if my hmailserver wasn't working that access via my gmail account would be useful)

I have a couple of things checked to send via email, I'll include all emails and see how many emails I get from the board.

I did just notice that the board sends via TLSv1.3 which is awesome. Now I have two senders routinely using TLSv1.3 (hMailserver.com and gmail) in addition to my own web apps and local scripts
I had been considering reregistering my Forum User ID to see if that might change things but I may try changing my hMailServer email Notification email id to my GMail Email ID. That way junkemailfilter.com shouldn't be involved at all as far as any of my MX Receords are concerned.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 08:52
by jimimaseye
palinka wrote:
2019-09-18 01:20
I did this: USER CONTROL PANEL - Board preferences - Edit Notification Options

Everything was already checked. I haven't been receiving email notifications for anything since I can't remember when.
Are you subscribed though?

I have:

- Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
* Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
- Someone quotes you in a post
* Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
* Miscellaneous Notifications
* Someone sends you a private message
(all except 1 and 3)

....with subscriptions to all main 7 forum sections in the board under Manage Subscriptions. (This is important: no subscriptions - no notifications!)

This way I get an email notification whenever there is a new posting throughout (which also covers replies to my bookmarks and quotes me). If you has 3 checked then you should get a notification for this post given I am quoting you in a post.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 08:59
by jim.bus
jimimaseye wrote:
2019-09-18 08:52
palinka wrote:
2019-09-18 01:20
I did this: USER CONTROL PANEL - Board preferences - Edit Notification Options

Everything was already checked. I haven't been receiving email notifications for anything since I can't remember when.
Are you subscribed though?

I have:

- Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
* Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
- Someone quotes you in a post
* Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
* Miscellaneous Notifications
* Someone sends you a private message
(all except 1 and 3)

....with subscriptions to all main 7 forum sections in the board under Manage Subscriptions. (This is important: no subscriptions - no notifications!)

This way I get an email notification whenever there is a new posting throughout (which also covers replies to mine). If you has 3 checked then you should get a notification for this post given I am quoting you in a post.
I remember having the Quote Email Option checked but I had already changed my Forum Notification Email Id to my GMail Email ID and reactivated my Forum User ID and while I was reading your post and I received the Forum Email Notification. I had earlier this evening Checked all of the Notification and Email options also. I think perhaps because I reactivated my Forum User ID that may have cleared out some corruption so that Forum Email Notifications now work. Will have to see if this continues to work.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 09:18
by mattg
jimimaseye wrote:
2019-09-18 08:52
....with subscriptions to all main 7 forum sections in the board under Manage Subscriptions. (This is important: no subscriptions - no notifications!)
This is THE IMPORTANT BIT

Bottom left of each forum, select Subscribe

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 09:50
by jim.bus
mattg wrote:
2019-09-18 09:18
jimimaseye wrote:
2019-09-18 08:52
....with subscriptions to all main 7 forum sections in the board under Manage Subscriptions. (This is important: no subscriptions - no notifications!)
This is THE IMPORTANT BIT

Bottom left of each forum, select Subscribe
I am seemingly now getting the Email Notifications with no other changes I have already indicated. I have received all your recent posts over the past half hour or thereabouts.

I went to User Control Panel and looked for Manage Subscriptions. It said I was not subscribed to any Forums and only listed my Watched Topics.

I found no place to allow me to subscribe to Forums (and I only saw 6 not 7 unless you count the SpamAssasin Forum under General Discussions). I would think I would then be receiving email notifications anytime there was activity on those Forums and if that is the case I wouldn't want that many Email Notifications.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 12:44
by palinka
jimimaseye wrote:
2019-09-18 08:52
palinka wrote:
2019-09-18 01:20
I did this: USER CONTROL PANEL - Board preferences - Edit Notification Options

Everything was already checked. I haven't been receiving email notifications for anything since I can't remember when.
Are you subscribed though?

I have:

- Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
* Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
- Someone quotes you in a post
* Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
* Miscellaneous Notifications
* Someone sends you a private message
(all except 1 and 3)

....with subscriptions to all main 7 forum sections in the board under Manage Subscriptions. (This is important: no subscriptions - no notifications!)

This way I get an email notification whenever there is a new posting throughout (which also covers replies to my bookmarks and quotes me). If you has 3 checked then you should get a notification for this post given I am quoting you in a post.
I do not have any subscriptions (nor did I want before) but I just subscribed to this thread.

I also changed Board preferences > Edit Posting Defaults to include "Notify me upon replies by default"

However, under Board preferences > Edit Notification Options, everything was checked, including "someone sends you a private message" and I have not received an email notification for private messages in a long time - and I have received some PMs recently, so I know it was not working.

Can you please do me a favor? Send me a PM, quote me in this topic and also reply without quoting? That will test it for sure. I hope my firewall ban did not block hmailserver.com. LOL, but yeah, I better have a looksy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit 1:

Ooooooooooppppppssssssss………………

Yep, firewall banned.

Code: Select all

Results for "5.189.183.138": 1 IP (Page: 1 of 1)

Timestamp	19/08/14 01:32.50
IP Address	5.189.183.138
Reason		HELO-Inv
Country		Germany
HELO		VMI74527
RH		380
This is very strange and also the reason why I overlooked it before. I had checked my firewall ban db for HELO: mail.hmailserver.com and nothing came up. I just looked up the IP and found it. The reason it got banned is because it presented HELO: VMI74527 which is obviously an invalid HELO (HELO-Inv). RH = return hits = number of connections dropped (scoured from firewall log).

Looks like the ol' firewall ban did its job properly. Now, I also have a tool just for these kinds of situations, which is to mark the IP SAFE. This will delete the firewall filter and permanently prevent the IP from getting added again. :D

I know Martin had mentioned something about upgrading the forum software. The date of the ban roughly correlates to around that time that he poked his head back here for a few days. Maybe that was the cause of the invalid HELO, which was temporary of course. MXtoolbox reports the correct HELO today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit 2:

Aaaannndd... I just received the notification from you replying to me earlier... :lol:

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 21:17
by jim.bus
As I stated in my earlier posts. I changed my Forum Notification Email ID to my GMail Email ID which forced me to reactivate my Jim.Bus Forum User ID and plus I added one additional Email Notification option so that all email options are now checked.

I never could locate where you subscribe to the Forums that Matt directed me to which I didn't think I wanted to do anyway as I speculated I would get notifications on any activity in the Forums which I didn't want.

But I seem mow to be receiving the Email Notifications as I have gotten at least 4 or 5 since yesterday. Just for information though the problem I had been having had been going on for years.

It seems like either changing to my GMail ID or Reactivating my User ID or both fixed my problem as so far I'm getting the Email Notifications.

Re: Forum subscription emails

Posted: 2019-09-18 21:23
by jimimaseye
jim.bus wrote:
2019-09-18 21:17
I never could locate where you subscribe to the Forums that Matt directed me to ...
At the bottom of the page of every forum section.

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]