I finally did it.

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
palinka
Senior user
Senior user

I finally did it.

Post by palinka » 2018-04-21 22:58

After months of planning and with some great help here, I finally dumped Goolag and took a small step in telling the surveillance state to eff off. Believe me, it was no small task since I had a bunch of family users tagging along but I prepped then for it complete with instructions and phone help (90 minutes this morning with my mom on the phone - holy crap tech support is really difficult when you have to deal with people that don't even know how to save a file and retrieve it later). So I'm feeling good about the whole thing.

I still have one Goolag apps legacy domain I can't get rid of because it's work related, but I only connect to it via imap. It doesn't bother me as much since it's only work, but at least they can't track my location anymore through the gmail Android app.

Anyway, I figured there's probably no one I know that would care but you guys might. So thanks for all the help with getting my issues resolved and making the transition easy.

jimimaseye

Re: I finally did it.

Post by jimimaseye » 2018-04-21 23:21

Good to hear it.

Do tell is what is the setup? How many domains and accounts and running on what hardware setup etc?
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2018-04-21 23:47

jimimaseye wrote:
2018-04-21 23:21
Good to hear it.

Do tell is what is the setup? How many domains and accounts and running on what hardware setup etc?
So simple. 5 domains but only 2 have active users. I'm running off Verizon fios (residential fibre) with a dynamic IP (and external relay service). The machine is a win10 pro refurb I bought on newegg for $140 and later added an SSD I bought off craigslist (supposedly new takeout after upgrade). Its nothing special by any stretch of the imagination. But my last server setup (XP and I can't even say the hardware) ran for 16 years without issue. I would still be running it if the motherboard didn't die. Then I figured it was time to come into the current age. LOL.

There's not a lot of traffic, but the amount grew 10-fold as of today. Still not much traffic, really.

I just have a real problem with the surveillance state. So my messages sent to the big providers will still get read, but at least not 100% of my messages will get read. Goolag has turned out to be the opposite of their motto (don't be evil?!?!?!?!). They are evil. And the quality is slowly going down as well. That's something else I've noticed. Weird issues with email, totally random stuff like sent email showing only half the message - making me believe something went wrong when the recipient received the entire message. Anyway, I know that I will have my own weird, random issues too, but at least they are under my control.

But again, that's not even the point - the point is the surveillance and the selling of my entire personal life. Eff them for that. They may have my entire history, but they won't get my entire future.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2018-08-29 12:04

Well... Have a dig into "[website]/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml" and "[website]/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml".

http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... oconfigure

“Much to learn you still have…" :mrgreen:

Oh by the way, did your neighbour to the left get his house sold yet? And do you like your Honda 7-seater?
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2018-08-29 12:50

SorenR wrote:
2018-08-29 12:04
Well... Have a dig into "[website]/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml" and "[website]/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml".

Oh by the way, did your neighbour to the left get his house sold yet? And do you like your Honda 7-seater?
You're a nosy fellow. But that photo is from long before I moved in. Several years old. My house still needs painting. :mrgreen:

But finding my house is only half the issue. Getting in requires an invitation - a security policy backed up by me and my friends, Smith & Wesson. :wink:

I have to ask, how were you able to pinpoint with such accuracy? I thought IP disclosed only the general area.

And yeah, I use autodiscover, but it points to horde activesync for calendar/contact/etc sync.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2018-08-29 13:40

palinka wrote:
2018-08-29 12:50
SorenR wrote:
2018-08-29 12:04

You're a nosy fellow. But that photo is from long before I moved in. Several years old. My house still needs painting. :mrgreen:

But finding my house is only half the issue. Getting in requires an invitation - a security policy backed up by me and my friends, Smith & Wesson. :wink:

I have to ask, how were you able to pinpoint with such accuracy? I thought IP disclosed only the general area.

And yeah, I use autodiscover, but it points to horde activesync for calendar/contact/etc sync.
You sent me an email and you have an unusual name 8)
5 minutes on Google :mrgreen:

For a starter, there are two profiles with your name on LinkedIn, neither of them is you I believe, one is in Kansas working in steel. Both of them I have as 3'rd level contact and that narrowes the field.

By the way, www.mylife.com. That's a VERY scary site privacy wise ... Thank god for GDPR https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_D ... Regulation.
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2018-08-29 14:09

I figured that was it. After I replied I searched my name and did not find my exact address (in front of paywalls). But I didn't spend much time looking.

But anyway, back to horde activesync, it's pretty friggin awesome. I sync all my email clients on it. It's nice to have calendar and contact sync in a single package. Autodiscover is just the cherry on top.