Firefox 57 Update - Mozilla what have you done?

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Firefox 57 Update - Mozilla what have you done?

Post by Dravion » 2017-11-18 02:13

Surprise surprise!

If you use Firefox, Mozilla will autoupdate your Firefox soon without asking you and after restart of Firefox only 13% of all 29.000 Addons will work
any longer.

Whats happend?
Mozilla decided to remo e the old Addon System
and replaced it with Googles Chrome.

This is what loyal Firefox Fans have to say to Mozilla after this Genius move:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2134952380

jimimaseye

Re: Firefox 57 Update - Mozilla what have you done?

Post by jimimaseye » 2017-11-18 11:12

They have been working on moving to webextensions for over a year and have been warning that ff57 in November would be the switchover day for months.

People calling for reversal is going to be sadly disappointed. They can try the ESR version to eek out another 9 months or so but even that will be forced switch over next year.

I must say I am baffled as to why they moved to a system that will destroy 85% of their USP - the add-ons and their abilities. That, and the lack of affiliation to data gathering for 'helping you control your life', was the main thing that separated them from the rest.

Now firefox will be no different to chrome and rely only on design and convenience to access to sell themselves to a wary user.... But chrome have the might and power of Google behind it - and they push their products on every Google branded page they have.

I predict a rapid drop in market share for firefox and an uprise for chrome.

(I made a point of ensuring auto update is off and only ever install once tested in the portable version. I will not be moving on from v54 until it is way beyond my control).

I hope they don't follow suit with thunderbird as in business we rely heavily on some add-ons. (That too will be frozen from updates if such announcements are made. Risky (barely) but important to maintain functionality).
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

mattg

Post by mattg » 2017-11-18 22:25

I hadn't heard about this, so thanks for the heads up.
I've turned off updates within FF

Web browsing plays such a huge part of my day, I use multiple browsers, each for different things, as they are good at different things. Extensions is clearly what make FF work - to destroy that and hide things like bookmark bars would make the product fairly unusable to me.

I dislike Edge with a passion, the only thing worse is BING searches. Seriously BING can't find common Microsoft applications(like RDP client), or relevant technet articles, what chance does it have with other products.

One thing that Chrome does better is native pdf handling, including the easiest way to split a pdf document available anywhere (open >> Print some pages >> save as pdf). Chrome's extensions are a joke compared to what FF offers (offered!)

I Still use IE for some things, that just don't work anywhere else (Click Once Applications)

I haven't looked at Opera / Safari on a windows machine for a while
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2017-11-19 02:56

Firefox, Opera, Edge, safari on Mac switched to Chromes WebExtension Model. It has some security advantages compared with FF old Addon System and no Browser restart is required.Alot of Addons will be Cross Browser compatible now.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2017-11-19 05:06

my main (default) browser is FF and i tried 57. it loads faster and renders pages faster too. other than this, as a common user, i haven't seen a major change except incompatibity with legacy addons. the only thing which made me fall back to 56.x the next day was TabMix+ extension.
people are talking about switching to Waterfox which is an x64 fork - a one (young and clever) man show though..

at office occasionally we still use IE when opening provider portals of some customers as they once designed all exclusively IE compatible. very likely they'll never invest for something different as long as IE exists.

i'm closely monitoring Vivaldi too, another Chromium based development by some ex-Opera staff with bright ideas. as soon as they implement their "sync" it may be my default browser candidate.

SlimJet, another Chromium alternative is another very good project. it's a better and fast Chrome + full portable, i.e. it integrates itself as default browser even in portable version with a single (portable) profile.
Dravion wrote:Alot of Addons will be Cross Browser compatible now.
that sounds nice! are we sure? can you pls post a reading to this? thks.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7.0 x64, MariaDB 10.4.10 x64, SA 3.4.2, ClamAV 0.101.2 + SaneS

mattg

Post by mattg » 2017-11-19 23:33

I've found PaleMoon and older FF port from about 30 FF versions ago. TabMixPlus works fine (and all of the other add-ons I've tried)

They claim that they are unlikely to ever be 'Web Extensions' compatible >> https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15928
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2017-11-20 06:02

I believe the official Firefox version 52 ESR (longterm branch) will be supported with the old addon system and will not install a breaking update.Of cause the next Major FF ESR Release will.

Regarding Thunderbird.Its not any longer developed by Mozilla and is now developed by its own, idependent Team but i dont know what the TB Team is planing regarding the Addon System.

Palemoon has two Addon Types.Firefox old System and a Palemoon specific system. I think Mozilla will cease the old addon Website anytime soon or will atleast cleanup old no longer working Addons from its portal in the future.