Hi there (introduction) !

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
ShelLuser
New user
New user

Hi there (introduction) !

Post by ShelLuser » 2011-05-30 06:25

Ey gang!

And so I found my way into hMailServer and quite frankly I really like the product. Even though I'm a veteran Linux sysadmin who seemingly (according to some friends) has gone rampant :mrgreen:

Nah.. I consider myself an IT professional who has his roots fully tied (dug) into Unix/Linux and has a good basic understanding of stuff. IN other words; give me a PuTTY or even Windows telnet client and I'll initiate a SMTP session easily to check if 'treat as "a local email address"' really does what it says ;-)

I jumped onto the Windows bandwagon (so to speak; Windows 2k3 server) when I 1) noticed that all I did with my Ubuntu LTS workstation was checking e-mail (I moved the whole lot over to Windows 7 which I had been using quite heavily by then) and 2) Came to realize that being able to enjoy (approx.) 11 years of an OS (Windows XP supported lifespan, its not over yet so this is a guess) vs. a max. of 3 years (Ubuntu LTS) where the upgrade may very well direct you into better results with a re-installation is a whole lot easier on enforced maintenance.

No bashing on my part; just stating facts which I encountered with going from Ubuntu LTS 8 to 10 (after 1 day of (self employed) work (read: 1 day of losing money (to some extend)).

So far the offtopic part (hey! I did put it in "common" right? :twisted:).

I love hMailServer.

Gave it a very good testrun on Win7's virtual PC (I use the Professional version) courtesy of my TechNet subscription and I can say that it truly rocks. In fact; in some regards it even puts my current preferred MUA (Postfix) to shame. I love the option that I can tell HMS that $domain is globally remote yet 2 e-mail aliases (not even mailboxes) are local.

The stuff THAT is going to do for my IntraNet (local network between $gf, $parents, and myself) is in no way matchable with Postfix. Sorta.

That is; I cannot rule out that I overlooked something. Yet that is exactly what speaks for hMailServer; the logic behind it (I didn't even read the FM, shame on me! :mrgreen:).

Alas.. as to give back.. (yes, that is honestly going through my mind).

My work is getting the best of me at this very moment which leaves very little private time (apart from weekends but thats personal). But I think I may be able to help you guy (s?) out with some documentation at the very least. But that;s for later and another forum ;-)

Another believer on the hMailServer bandwagon here.

Just too bad about that major limitation wrt 4 billion e-mails. I mean, dude.. We stow that in one day (cough, cough, COUGH :twisted:) and even THIS cannot provide without a reset? :wink:

ok ok ok... joking.. Still.. How does one actually do reset the counter? Resetting or.....

Anyway, please keep it up!

I cannot promise being active here right now but rest assured that I have this bookmarked.

With kind regards

(reminds me to set a footer)

Peter

Note to self: ignore drafts for now so you don't get lost :twisted:

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Hi there (introduction) !

Post by ^DooM^ » 2011-05-30 10:48

Hey Peter, welcome aboard :) You can reset the message id's on the SQL server if you ever reach 4 billion emails. I have been running hail since around 2004 and i'm nowhere near there yet. Also nice to see a sane linux admin that's not afraid to branch out into windows without spitting and cursing ;)
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2011-05-30 18:13

ShelLuser wrote: Just too bad about that major limitation wrt 4 billion e-mails. I mean, dude.. We stow that in one day (cough, cough, COUGH :twisted:) and even THIS cannot provide without a reset?
Tell that to IMAP standard creator. You missed 2106 year bomb.

thedealer
New user
New user

Post by thedealer » 2011-07-21 18:15

Welcome!

Slug

Post by Slug » 2011-07-28 15:59

ShelLuser wrote: Gave it a very good testrun on Win7's virtual PC (I use the Professional version) courtesy of my TechNet subscription and I can say that it truly rocks. In fact; in some regards it even puts my current preferred MUA (Postfix) to shame.
Welcome, over the last 12 or so months I have gone in the opposite direction, that being I have been learning Postfix/Dovcote and Ubuntu and I will scream this from the tallest trees that hMs is the best its just so easy and it works. I'm mean seriously who shuts down an application because the clock moves forward :lol:

I'll say it again its the only thing that keeps me on MS.

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers