Email Monitoring

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
blenkhn
New user
New user

Email Monitoring

Post by blenkhn » 2009-10-22 20:22

WE have several employees and I need to decide on a email server. I have come across several but none as suitable as this one. the only thing I have not been able to figure out is if you are able to monitor outgoing emails as well as incoming emails.

If I go with hmail what would be teh steps to set this up. :?:

Thanks for your help with this

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Email Monitoring

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-22 20:49

You can use the mirror feature then setup a rule to delete all email not from your domain or vice versa.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

blenkhn
New user
New user

Post by blenkhn » 2009-10-23 01:03

And How exactly do I do this? can it be done for incoming as well as outgoing?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-23 01:29

Yes.

http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... nce_mirror

Enabling this will forward all email to that account. Original messages continue unhindered. Use of this feature breaches the data protection act and you must inform your users that it is enabled (i.e. you are monitoring email).

roi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by roi » 2009-10-24 09:30

^DooM^ wrote:Use of this feature breaches the data protection act and you must inform your users that it is enabled (i.e. you are monitoring email).
This may border "off topic", but it is still directly related to email monitoring. I'm no lawyer, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I think in the United States, there has been a number of court decisions that determined that data (email included) stored in a company's servers or generated or received using the company's IT properties/infrastructure are the responsibilities of the company. Thus, a company is absolutely free to monitor incoming/outgoing data (including email and telephone conversations) and that doing so is not a violation of personal privacy. Indeed, in some industries, there are laws that require the company to monitor (and even archive) data flow.

In other words, a company cannot use the excuse of "ignorance" or "protecting personal privacy" in cases where company employees violate the law and the company IT infrastructure is used or involved in perpetrating the crimes. An employee cannot use "violation of privacy" to invalidate evidence of crime committed collected through IT monitoring by employers.

That said, I think this does not apply to ISP's who deal with the public at large and a court order is still required to force the ISP to legally monitor their customers' activites/data on a case-by-case basis. Anti-terrorist laws are often designed to circumvent this, however, and this remains a controversial issue almost everywhere.

Every country seems to have its own unique laws governing the monitoring of email so one needs to check with a lawyer to make sure of compliance with the laws. When you are in Country A, and you break the laws of Country B, I suppose existing bilateral treaties and conventions would have to be applied for Country B to prosecute you; right now, there seems to be very few that are specific to IT issues. Technology development is leap-years ahead of law creation & enforcement -- both domestically and internationally.

To repeat: Check with your lawyer to make sure it is okay for you to monitor email in your particular environment.
hMS: 5.2.1-B361 | DB: Internal MySQL from hMS 4.4 | OS: W2K3 1Gb VM

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2010-01-28 12:08

Use of this feature breaches the data protection act and you must inform your users that it is enabled (i.e. you are monitoring email).
If it's for your own company then I think it's ok (i.e. its presumed snooping / monitoring is in place - otherwise the same would apply to AV, SPAM or any other form of filter as they all have to snoop to do their job, which is unrealistic not to be in place in the modern age); if your an ISP type company then it's not ... also, never worked for a company where there isn't a one liner in your contract relating to IT thats a catch all for they can do whatever they want!

S.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-01-28 13:40

Depends on the country. If not legal then there is at least a moral obligation to inform your users.