SPAM : HMRC

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

SPAM : HMRC

Post by sheffters » 2009-10-12 15:02

Just a quick note ...

I wouldn't normally bother with SPAM but ...

I've had a few (6 today) emails reporting to be from HMRC about Unreported income ... they look pretty authentic until you trace the mail paths back.

There bogus, so don't click on the links!

even the url uses a 'real' ... online.hmrc.gov.uk ... but appended with some other site (i.e. the hmrc address is really a sub domain).

There's no spelling mistakes and the usual guff that happens with SPAM so there quite hard to spot.

It's also timed well since its the UK deadline for income tax submissions at the end of the month.

Got though blacklists and the like, although I don't use spam assassin so dont know if that will block them or not.

I.

roi
Normal user
Normal user

Re: SPAM : HMRC

Post by roi » 2009-10-22 03:40

Do you have SPF checking on? This will usually filter out most email spoofing. But it only works if the incoming email domain's DNS has a SPF record, and it seems adoption of SPF by domain owners is picking up. I would imagine most gov.uk domains have SPF records in their DNS.

Edit: I checked hmrc.gov.uk in mxtoolbox, and would you believe? This domain's DNS does not have an SPF record ! Can't believe a government domain email server will not restrict the source IP addresses of their outgoing email. So yes... as it stands now, email from this domain can come from anywhere, even from Tonga or wherever. If you are a U.K. citizen, you should campaign that government domains have SPF records in their DNS to protect the citizens from spoofed email (such as the one you described.)
hMS: 5.2.1-B361 | DB: Internal MySQL from hMS 4.4 | OS: W2K3 1Gb VM

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-22 09:41

Personally I feel there are bigger issues to campaign about than an SPF record when it comes to our government ;)
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

roi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by roi » 2009-10-22 12:18

DooM... I must admit you are right when it comes to one's own government ! I can say the same for my own government...
hMS: 5.2.1-B361 | DB: Internal MySQL from hMS 4.4 | OS: W2K3 1Gb VM

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-10-22 12:52

Most banks dont have SPF either ... I've botched to Alliance & Leicester about it as they keep warning about bogus mails every time I login ... yet they don't do the basics ...

S.