Spam control via domain extension

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
Kaan1983
Senior user
Senior user

Spam control via domain extension

Post by Kaan1983 » 2008-05-14 22:06

Hi,
since I don't know how to call .org, .com parts of a domain I named it as domain extension :)

Anyway, in Türkiye only companies can get '.tr' extension, so there's no way that these address can spam (as long as I believe). Therefore I'd like to allow any e-mail coming from these domains. Is it possible? Or first of all do you think if I should allow it?

Thanks.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Spam control via domain extension

Post by ^DooM^ » 2008-05-15 02:34

I don't think just because only companies can get them you should flat out accept any email from them, what if a company web form is compromised and some spammer is sending stacks of spam through it. I would be cautious to start with and monitor email with that "tld" which by the way means "top level domain" :)
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2008-05-15 06:02

Kaan1983 wrote:Anyway, in Türkiye only companies can get '.tr' extension, so there's no way that these address can spam (as long as I believe).
:). You don't have advertising companies in Turkey or PHBs that might think that sending mass mails will improve sales? You should see main company mailbox in the place I work. Most of emails are UCEs and most of them are from addresses with country's top level domain.

Kaan1983
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Kaan1983 » 2008-05-15 10:54

Thanks guys,

I believe they "spam" via 'mail lists' where you can unsubscribe. Otherwise one can sue em (why not me :d ).

Anyway, I understand that better I don't allow spam by TOP LEVEL DOMAIN ;)

Thanks again.