NAS with hmailserver

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

NAS with hmailserver

Post by sbouli » 2008-04-10 19:45

HI all,

I am using hmailserver on an old computer for my familly use, but this old guy seems to be dieing ... I'd like to replace it by a little NAS (around 200 to 300 Euros) like the synology ones but they seem all to work under linux and so are not hmailserver compatible. The thing is I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE OF SOFTWARE ....

Does any of you had any product information for a NAS under windows ?

Stéphane

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: NAS with hmailserver

Post by SorenR » 2008-04-10 20:54

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsservers ... fault.mspx

Not exactly what I would call cheep solutions...
SørenR.

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.”
- Oscar Wilde

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2008-04-11 06:23

sbouli wrote:HI all,

I am using hmailserver on an old computer for my familly use, but this old guy seems to be dieing ... I'd like to replace it by a little NAS (around 200 to 300 Euros) like the synology ones but they seem all to work under linux and so are not hmailserver compatible. The thing is I DON'T WANT TO CHANGE OF SOFTWARE ....

Does any of you had any product information for a NAS under windows ?
NAS stands for Network Attached Storage. It is dedicated machine which allows to have some big storage space available on the network. It is usually underpowered and does only file sharing.

Get compact desktop machine, clone original disk to new disk and repair Windows. Dell Vostro and some itx machines are in 300 EUR range, if you already have OS license.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2008-04-11 07:58

I had my local computer store build a machine for me last October. Price around 600 euro;

AreoCool cabinet
NorthQ CPU fan
NorthQ Powersupply
Asus motherboard
500 GB SATA harddisk
2 GB RAM
Intel Dual Core 2 Centrino 64bit 2.33 MHz
DVD R/W with Lightscribe

3 meters away I can't hear it running except for the usual harddrive clicking. My Synology 101g+ I can hear 2 rooms away when the fan is running :roll:

That was last year, before the US dollar went low. Should probably be around 450 euro today.
SørenR.

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.”
- Oscar Wilde