Need advice on VPS + hosting

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Need advice on VPS + hosting

Post by palinka » 2022-01-15 15:41

I plan to move this year. Currently and for many years I've been running my server in the basement of my home Hillary Clinton style. This has worked out well for me, but over the years i've created a tangled mess of apps and websites, etc. Since I'm planning a major disruption, I think the best way to get ahead of this is to get a combination of shared web hosting and vps.

I would actually prefer using only vps for everything but my file system is so polluted and large that I think putting most or all of the http stuff onto a shared web host will help reduce the cost. I'm not 100% certain about that.

I haven't used shared hosting for years and I've never used a vps ever. I'm looking for inexpensive, reliable referrals and some pointers to avoid pitfalls. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

fjansen04
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Need advice on VPS + hosting

Post by fjansen04 » 2022-01-15 22:22

I'm using Contabo.com
Not the best performance but reasonably priced.
HMS 5.6.9-B2587.46 on Windows Server 2019

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-01-16 03:36

fjansen04 wrote:
2022-01-15 22:22
I'm using Contabo.com
Thanks. I just had a look. Its significantly less expensive than the ones I was looking at.

What do you mean exactly by "not the best performance"? In terms of processor/system speed (less important to me) or internet speed (more important to me)?

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2022-01-16 04:18

palinka wrote:
2022-01-16 03:36
processor/system speed (less important to me) or internet speed (more important to me)?
Windows or Linux?

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-01-16 04:25

mikedibella wrote:
2022-01-16 04:18
palinka wrote:
processor/system speed (less important to me) or internet speed (more important to me)?
Windows or Linux?
Windows.

One of my issues that's driving the price up is storage. I'm hosting a construction project management web app that contains many large files (architectural plans, etc). I figure I need at least 200 GB.

I just found this place. http s://bestbuyrdp.com/buy-rdp-nl/ (edit - link didn't show up for some reason so I added a space)

Looks cheap. I think I can live with the restrictions. Will be running hmailserver, SA, apache, etc. What do you think?

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2022-01-16 04:41

I have suggestions for cheap and reliable Linux hosting. For Windows, I use Azure, which is reliable but not cheap.

One STRONG recommendation I will make for Windows hosting: ALWAYS restrict RDP access to a single trusted source IP, even if it is dynamic. Then if you need to access your VM from another network, use a jump-server concept to VPN into the trusted network, RDP to the jump server and jump to the VM.

fjansen04
Normal user
Normal user

Post by fjansen04 » 2022-01-16 10:39

palinka wrote:
fjansen04 wrote:
2022-01-15 22:22
I'm using Contabo.com
Thanks. I just had a look. Its significantly less expensive than the ones I was looking at.

What do you mean exactly by "not the best performance"? In terms of processor/system speed (less important to me) or internet speed (more important to me)?
I never measured speed, but the system can be slugish at times. Internet speed seems OK.
HMS 5.6.9-B2587.46 on Windows Server 2019

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2022-01-16 14:19

palinka wrote:
2022-01-16 04:25

Windows.

One of my issues that's driving the price up is storage. I'm hosting a construction project management web app that contains many large files (architectural plans, etc). I figure I need at least 200 GB.

I just found this place. http s://bestbuyrdp.com/buy-rdp-nl/ (edit - link didn't show up for some reason so I added a space)

Looks cheap. I think I can live with the restrictions. Will be running hmailserver, SA, apache, etc. What do you think?

ooohhhh pricing almost puts the super colocation deal i use to shame ...... ( almost :wink: ) im a colo-sucker being hooked on running esxi and being able to do/run whatever on top... however its not the cheapest of hobbies..

*start of nerd comment
and this is suuuuperb for the vpses in NL : Minimum 200GB ... will it be a problem that you have to have that as minimum to start with ?
*end of nerd comment

But seriously a very attractive service offering.. ( i would buy 2 though ... i am a sucker for the possibility of on site backup/redundancy as well .. and being able to squeeze work offload or specific service to second box if needed)

and i second Mikedibellas comment on restricting access over rdp
lets cheat darwin out of his legacy, find a cure for cancer...

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-01-16 14:34

johang wrote:
2022-01-16 14:19
*start of nerd comment
and this is suuuuperb for the vpses in NL : Minimum 200GB ... will it be a problem that you have to have that as minimum to start with ?
*end of nerd comment
I could probably start with 150, but my web app is growing quickly and i hope to sell it to other contractors when I'm done adding features.

Also, i assume the OS is part of the storage requirement. Is that true? I never used one of these before. I'm a total noob.

I've always hosted from my own machine located in my house. The security has always been excellent until last week when my security somehow managed to spill his water bowl on my router. :mrgreen: Fortunately a hair drier and a couple hours of downtime and i was back in business.
mikedibella wrote:
2022-01-16 04:41
One STRONG recommendation I will make for Windows hosting: ALWAYS restrict RDP access to a single trusted source IP, even if it is dynamic. Then if you need to access your VM from another network, use a jump-server concept to VPN into the trusted network, RDP to the jump server and jump to the VM.
Good advice. Thanks.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2022-01-16 14:43

palinka wrote:
2022-01-16 14:34
johang wrote:
*start of nerd comment
*end of nerd comment
I could probably start with 150, but my web app is growing quickly and i hope to sell it to other contractors when I'm done adding features.

Also, i assume the OS is part of the storage requirement. Is that true? I never used one of these before. I'm a total noob.

I've always hosted from my own machine located in my house. The security has always been excellent until last week when my security somehow managed to spill his water bowl on my router. :mrgreen: Fortunately a hair drier and a couple hours of downtime and i was back in business.
think something went straight over your head there ... 8)
VPSes in france has a 200GB disk included.. service offering in Netherlands says MINIMUM 200GB ( implies you have to fill it UP to reach minimum from start and i also would note this as writing error on behaf of the company :D )

and yes OS is part of storage requirement ( and somtimes including backup possibilities, or snapshot handleing )

now in respect to security.. either you drink out of a bowl ???????? or you have doggo as security.... or a parrot.. or rabbit.. or hamster ? you have to train your hamster better manners...

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-01-16 15:05

johang wrote:
2022-01-16 14:43
think something went straight over your head there ... 8)
VPSes in france has a 200GB disk included.. service offering in Netherlands says MINIMUM 200GB ( implies you have to fill it UP to reach minimum from start and i also would note this as writing error on behaf of the company :D )
I still don't understand. Why would I have to fill it up to start with?

now in respect to security.. either you drink out of a bowl ???????? or you have doggo as security.... or a parrot.. or rabbit.. or hamster ? you have to train your hamster better manners...
Need to train wife not to put dog bowl directly over my server closet. :roll: There's no ceiling down there!

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2022-01-16 15:20

palinka wrote:
2022-01-16 15:05
I still don't understand. Why would I have to fill it up to start with?
i will try once more... 8)

if 200GB is a minimum storage... whats is then the maximum that you are allowed to store for that price... ?
( it is a typo ....... ... )
bestbuy.jpg

but my misstake i got them wrong..its the other way around..
its FRANCE that has minimum 200GB included and Netherlands that has 200GB included.. sorry about that... :mrgreen:
( so buy the FR version .. no limit for max storage .. but minimum 200GB ... )

however.. browsing around... it says thoose packages has NO admin access .. ( ?) and there is a package WITH admin access ..

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2022-01-16 20:05

johang wrote:
im a colo-sucker being hooked on running esxi
Curious, are you virtualizating the ESXi host or running bare-metal on a dedicated server?

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-01-16 22:23

johang wrote:
2022-01-16 15:20
however.. browsing around... it says thoose packages has NO admin access .. ( ?) and there is a package WITH admin access ..
No admin? To the underlying OS or to the VPS? I usually run scripts from task scheduler using SYSTEM user.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2022-01-16 23:36

mikedibella wrote:
2022-01-16 20:05
johang wrote:
im a colo-sucker being hooked on running esxi
Curious, are you virtualizating the ESXi host or running bare-metal on a dedicated server?
like this -> colocating physical hardware server, which has hypervisor Esxi 7.0 installed on it, which gives possibility of producing any hosts /"VPSes" i desire .. (so short answer: esxi on bare-metal colocated server, i am not virtualizing the esxi-hypervisor itself .. (which also can be done, but i have problem enough keeping things apart in my head as it is :lol: :lol: ))

possibilities:
in a host/vps install a firewall with http reverse proxy and then internally behind that make a virtual net, a private LAN and place any sort of virtual server ( linuxserver windows .. ) to respond on specific domain being "redirected to the appropriate webserver inside..
in same firewall use port forwarding to redirect SMTP to inside appropriate vps which is a mailserver ... or a antispam appliance ....
on a VPS install an SAMBA/NFS server ( openmediavault ) to act as shared storage for vps:es and/or send/share files(VPSes) between esxi:s
administration of esxi and firewall via administrative vps (win10) inside on the virtual local LAN ( reached either via port redirected RDP or via VPN )
esxi-vps.jpg

if you have a nice colocation provider.. you get a couple of public IPs that you can use for ipmi/ILO and ESXI ( and included ip filter blocking to only let your home-ip through to those IPs )

( edited .. and this became post 666 :twisted: )
Last edited by johang on 2022-01-17 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2022-01-16 23:59

palinka wrote:
2022-01-16 22:23
johang wrote:
No admin? To the underlying OS or to the VPS? I usually run scripts from task scheduler using SYSTEM user.
I was unaware about the RDP market evolving like that.. , but of course the provider want to separate people running applicatons within RDP based on their usage... traders, streamers or word/excel users propabally render different usage.. and customers running software that need admin RDP should purchase the admin RDP package...

their definition of No Admin Access for starter RDP: " No Admin Access, All softwares that need admin rdp should be used in admin rdp only "
i have NO clue which software needs admin RDP.. but your system users dont travel through RDP ... they stay inside the "box"..
surf here https://bestbuyrdp.com/whmcs/submitticket.php and click the link demo request ( they do demos monday to friday ) then come back on here and tell us if its golden or not..

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-01-17 00:05

Will do. Maybe I'll buy it for a month. I have plenty of time to check out different ones.

I'll set up hmailserver and spamassassin and see if they play nicely with apache and horde.

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2022-01-17 00:26

johang wrote:
[however.. browsing around... it says thoose packages has NO admin access ..
My read is this is a shared-server model. You are getting a session on Remote Desktop Session Host server (a "terminal server") with access to the desktop via RDP protocol. You will be able to install software only if it can run from your user profile directories and the user registry hive (HKCU)...you aren't getting access to write the file system outside of %USERPROFILE% and no write access to the machine hive (HKLM).

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2022-01-17 00:53

palinka wrote:
2022-01-17 00:05
Will do. Maybe I'll buy it for a month. I have plenty of time to check out different ones.
I'll set up hmailserver and spamassassin and see if they play nicely with apache and horde.
mikedibella wrote:
2022-01-17 00:26
My read is this is a shared-server model. You are getting a session on Remote Desktop Session Host server (a "terminal server") with access to the desktop via RDP protocol. You will be able to install software only if it can run from your user profile directories and the user registry hive (HKCU)...you aren't getting access to write the file system outside of %USERPROFILE% and no write access to the machine hive (HKLM).
Mikedibella is spot on in his post..

talked to them in chat..

starter RDP is a windows host where you can RDP in and run apps, they say shared IP and shared resources and they dont install "server" apps in that plan..
i asked what apps are included that can you can run .. got the answer to many to write.. :?:

i asked about admin RDP.. they asked me what apps.. i said: mailserver.. they said: massmailing is custom.. i said: no not massmailing, a mailserver.. they said: what app.. i said: hmailserver.. they said: SMTP is custom, that and cracking tools and stuff ... i said: i dont want cracking tools, what about a webserver.. they said: what app.. i said: IIS7.. they said:to send mail with, you need custom plan.. this went on for quite a bit...

you have to get a custom plan which allows you to install ( being admin ) i asked for emailserver and webbserver and got answer $60/month ded IP and 1GB interface
not golden anymore.. i pay ezzypeezy that for colo instaed even if i have to buy my own servers... ( just my 2 cents )
NOW.. it could be cheaper cause i belive he was fed up with me asking so many questions...

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-01-17 01:19

johang wrote:
2022-01-17 00:53
i asked about admin RDP.. they asked me what apps.. i said: mailserver.. they said: massmailing is custom.. i said: no not massmailing, a mailserver.. they said: what app.. i said: hmailserver.. they said: SMTP is custom, that and cracking tools and stuff ... i said: i dont want cracking tools, what about a webserver.. they said: what app.. i said: IIS7.. they said:to send mail with, you need custom plan.. this went on for quite a bit...

Sounds about right. :mrgreen:

Well, these are definitely the tips I was looking for. Thanks, guys for pointing me in the right direction. I may have to increase my budget.

I can probably get my boss to pay for it. He's getting the benefit of this construction mgmt app even though its not 100% done (still working on additional features). Its been in use for a year and working great. He doesn't know I'm moving yet, nor does he know that I plan to ask him to keep my job and work remote. Like REALLY remote (4,438 miles away :D ). I think paying for vps hosting will be the very least of his concerns.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2022-02-03 11:57

Quick check resulted in this list

#Bestlist international Dedicated server Hosting and Windows server hosting

techradar.com/news/best-dedicated-server-hosting-providers
1.Inmotion
2.Hostwinds
3.IONOS

quicksprout.com/best-dedicated-hosting-plans/
1.Bluehost
2.InMotion
3.HostGator

websitebuilderexpert.com/web-hosting/dedicated-server-hosting/
1.InMotion
2.HostGator
3.Bluehost

forbes.com/advisor/business/software/best-dedicated-server-hosting/
1.AccuWeb Hosting
2.Ionos
3.A2 Hosting
4.InMotion
5.HostGator

i would pick the average

glenluo
Senior user
Senior user

Post by glenluo » 2022-03-26 09:15

Dravion wrote:
2022-02-03 11:57
Quick check resulted in this list

#Bestlist international Dedicated server Hosting and Windows server hosting

techradar.com/news/best-dedicated-server-hosting-providers
1.Inmotion
2.Hostwinds
3.IONOS

quicksprout.com/best-dedicated-hosting-plans/
1.Bluehost
2.InMotion
3.HostGator

websitebuilderexpert.com/web-hosting/dedicated-server-hosting/
1.InMotion
2.HostGator
3.Bluehost

forbes.com/advisor/business/software/best-dedicated-server-hosting/
1.AccuWeb Hosting
2.Ionos
3.A2 Hosting
4.InMotion
5.HostGator

i would pick the average
I use vps at weloveserves before,in 2015,it is owned by Hostwinds,after that,i never use them.
Even Hostwinds says Zero-Tolerance SPAM Policy,but most of the emails i get is phishing and virus,so i blocked any IP that with RDNS related to Hostwinds as long as i found it. I will block the whole /24 range.

dr haitham
New user
New user

Post by dr haitham » 2022-04-13 01:13

UltaHost has Cheap VPS hosting ultahost.com/vps-hosting with the highest virtual server reliability & performance! 

rosschester84
New user
New user

Post by rosschester84 » 2022-05-26 16:47

Try out ]DbaaS hosting. It's pretty effective, been using it for quite a while.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-06-03 15:26

I ended up going with BuyVM mainly because they offer an option for large storage. The price for both the vps and 1T of storage is about $22/month. That's a lot less than than other ones I was looking at. Its win srv 2016. So far no problems at all. Its completely unrestricted. Anything I can do on my home server, I can do on the VPS. The net speed is on the slow side (5-10 mbs) but other than that, I have absolutely no complaints so far. I had a couple of set up issues and the ticket response was prompt.

I wish I had done this a long time ago. They make nightly backups. This could have solved several headaches over running my basement box where I had a few issues with drive failures and power outages. I backup my home server nightly with Macrium Reflect, but drive failures require buying new hardware, which takes time. I expect higher uptime with the vps just solely by going with a 100% uptime generator-backed UPS over my little battery UPS that runs out in 20 minutes.

My only real issue is with SMS. I have been using a physical modem with a sim card. The sim is $10/month with unlimited SMS. I switched over to Twilio for use with the VPS. The cost is per message, plus $1/month line fee. The per message cost is < $0.01 and my average volume is about 800 messages/month. I might save $1/month. :lol: We'll see how that goes. I got sending working. I need to figure out how to receive still. I use it for website notifications, 2FA and server issue notifications, etc.

Ragnorrak
New user
New user

Post by Ragnorrak » 2022-06-06 15:30

On average, I've had roughly 1 to 2 hours of downtime each month using OVH's VPS/cloud options - albeit this is fairly consistent throughout their products (ie. Their cheaper offerings have the same quality as their more expensive ones in terms of availability).

Their outages can be longer (3-7 hours, two or three times a year), which produces a lot of work for me with a 3 hour MTTR (though I try to do 1hr). I'm not sure why I've persevered with them for so long, thinking they can handle VPS/cloud. Their cloud storage platform is decent, but I'd remain with their servers.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2022-06-06 16:21

palinka wrote:
2022-06-03 15:26
This could have solved several headaches over running my basement box where I had a few issues with drive failures and power outages. I backup my home server nightly with Macrium Reflect, but drive failures require buying new hardware, which takes time.
I run mirrored drives and pack a spare on the shelf ;-)

My "surf" ISP fiber router is not on UPS but my "mail" ISP 4G router is on UPS along with POE Switch (powering WiFi AP's) and my servers. 4G ISP uses batteries and H2 fuel cells for backup on cell towers so most of Denmark can be without power, I would not notice as long as ISP and Internet DIX runs on diesel :mrgreen:
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2022-06-06 16:34

SorenR wrote:
2022-06-06 16:21
palinka wrote:
2022-06-03 15:26
This could have solved several headaches over running my basement box where I had a few issues with drive failures and power outages. I backup my home server nightly with Macrium Reflect, but drive failures require buying new hardware, which takes time.
I run mirrored drives and pack a spare on the shelf ;-)

My "surf" ISP fiber router is not on UPS but my "mail" ISP 4G router is on UPS along with POE Switch (powering WiFi AP's) and my servers. 4G ISP uses batteries and H2 fuel cells for backup on cell towers so most of Denmark can be without power, I would not notice as long as ISP and Internet DIX runs on diesel :mrgreen:
Here, my ISP is Verizon, which is very engineering oriented (at least, compared to competitors). I can lose power to my house and still have internet as long as my UPS lasts, which isn't very long because my network equipment and server are all on it together. I have another UPS for 2 PCs.

UPS's are only supposed to last long enough to get the generator up and running. I sold my 5.5 kw generator. I never used it once. I used to have lots of outages. Then I bought a generator and of course, miraculously, at that same time the utility did a ton of tree trimming and we never had a major outage again. :x

Mishalk1
New user
New user

Post by Mishalk1 » 2022-09-14 06:23

Contabo is grossly overpriced; even if customers utilised their purchases, these prices would never make sense. Although some individuals claim to have had good luck with them, I believe it to be dishonest to promise something you are unable to deliver.

The finest low-cost host, in my opinion, is Hetzner (Cloud), albeit they recently increased the cost of their cheapest instances because of the IPv4 scarcity. If you require additional cloud features like managed databases and object storage, Scaleway is also extremely good.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2022-09-14 06:45

True, Hetzner is nice but is a German Company with Backbone peers directed to EU and Germany first which could be a Performance and Latency Problem for Overseas and Aussie Customers.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2022-09-15 01:36

Dravion wrote:
2022-09-14 06:45
True, Hetzner is nice but is a German Company with Backbone peers directed to EU and Germany first which could be a Performance and Latency Problem for Overseas and Aussie Customers.
Private information is protected by GDPR and not sold to vultures like in the US!
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.