Open-source, premise-based photo indexing software

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Open-source, premise-based photo indexing software

Post by mikedibella » 2022-05-03 04:42

I have about 25,000 family photos stored on a NAS that I'd like to index by the EXIF metadata. I'd prefer a solution that is open-source and based on a Linux stack so I can easily run it as a dedicated virtual appliance. I've looked at both Piwigo and Resourcespace, but both solutions appear to target nascent photo libraries and cannot simply have a massive and complex existing storage hierarchy pruned into their data lake for indexing. Instead both solutions expect legacy libraries to be uploaded folder by folder.

So, I'm looking for any advice on alternatives. The preferred solution would let me mount the root share of the legacy library as NFS or SMB and index the photos in situ, adding the EXIF data to the metabase with the original file location.

Any ideas?

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Open-source, premise-based photo indexing software

Post by palinka » 2022-05-03 12:19

Filerun does what you're looking for, but its not strictly intended for photos. I use it as a "personal dropbox". There's a mobile app that uploads photos from my phone automatically. They even say on their homepage that one of its features is that its a "google photos replacement". Its NOT open source, but the free version comes with 10 user licenses. Its worth a look anyway.

https://filerun.com/

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Open-source, premise-based photo indexing software

Post by palinka » 2022-05-14 16:07

In case you did go with Filerun (or practically any other app for that purpose), I just wanted to share this cool android app I found for automatic photo (or any file) backup called autosync. I have it set to back up photos - one direction sync - with filerun just to auto upload pictures from my phone. It works great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US