O365 migration

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
RvdH
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 1424
Joined: 2008-06-27 14:42
Location: Netherlands

O365 migration

Post by RvdH » 2021-04-22 12:22

I have a inquiry...wondering how do you guys handle such scenario

We have a existing client (domain and mailbox exist locally) but they are moving away to use O365
All DNS records are modified so new mail goes straight to O365, but other local users that exist on te server might mail this client while synchronizing and as both users in this scenario are local the mail wil be delivered locally, right?

What would te best approach in such scenario be?
  • rename domain locally (so that mails from other local users to the domain get delivered to O365 automatically) and let O365 sync using this renamed domain
  • Do not rename the domain and add a route to O365, or is this meaningless as the account exist locally?
  • Something else?
Last edited by RvdH on 2021-04-22 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

User avatar
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 4493
Joined: 2006-08-21 15:38
Location: Denmark

Re: O365 migration

Post by SorenR » 2021-04-22 12:24

RvdH wrote:
2021-04-22 12:22
I have a inquiry...wondering how do you guys handle such scenario

We have a existing client (domain and mailbox exist locally) but they are moving away to use O365
All DNS records are modified so new mail goes straight to O365, but other local users (that exist) on te server might mail this client while synchronizing and as both users in this scenario are local the mail wil be delivered locally, right?

What would te best approach in such scenario be?
  • rename domain locally and let O365 sync using this renamed domain
  • Do not rename the domain and add a route to O365, or is this meaningless as the account exist locally?
  • Something else?
#1
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

User avatar
RvdH
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 1424
Joined: 2008-06-27 14:42
Location: Netherlands

Re: O365 migration

Post by RvdH » 2021-04-22 12:29

SorenR wrote:
2021-04-22 12:24
RvdH wrote:
2021-04-22 12:22
I have a inquiry...wondering how do you guys handle such scenario

We have a existing client (domain and mailbox exist locally) but they are moving away to use O365
All DNS records are modified so new mail goes straight to O365, but other local users (that exist) on te server might mail this client while synchronizing and as both users in this scenario are local the mail wil be delivered locally, right?

What would te best approach in such scenario be?
  • rename domain locally and let O365 sync using this renamed domain
  • Do not rename the domain and add a route to O365, or is this meaningless as the account exist locally?
  • Something else?
#1
I used the first approach in this case....but have been trying to explain for about half an hour why i did what i did with the O365 reseller, i did'nt got the idea he could make much sense out of it :mrgreen:
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/CIDRtoRegEx
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSTools
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/DNSBLLookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/GeoipLookup

User avatar
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 4493
Joined: 2006-08-21 15:38
Location: Denmark

Re: O365 migration

Post by SorenR » 2021-04-22 13:24

RvdH wrote:
2021-04-22 12:29
SorenR wrote:
2021-04-22 12:24
RvdH wrote:
2021-04-22 12:22
I have a inquiry...wondering how do you guys handle such scenario

We have a existing client (domain and mailbox exist locally) but they are moving away to use O365
All DNS records are modified so new mail goes straight to O365, but other local users (that exist) on te server might mail this client while synchronizing and as both users in this scenario are local the mail wil be delivered locally, right?

What would te best approach in such scenario be?
  • rename domain locally and let O365 sync using this renamed domain
  • Do not rename the domain and add a route to O365, or is this meaningless as the account exist locally?
  • Something else?
#1
I used the first approach in this case....but have been trying to explain for about half an hour why i did what i did with the O365 reseller, i did'nt got the idea he could make much sense out of it :mrgreen:
If they are anything like the ones here in Denmark then they are only selling a product if which they don't really give a s**t. It could be banananas for all that matters.

I get the occational calls about switching mobile provider and Internet connection... I have 30 years experience in that s**t so when we hang up 45 minutes later they still have not sold anything :mrgreen:
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 2616
Joined: 2017-09-12 17:57

Re: O365 migration

Post by palinka » 2021-04-22 15:15

SorenR wrote:
2021-04-22 13:24
I get the occational calls about switching mobile provider and Internet connection... I have 30 years experience in that s**t so when we hang up 45 minutes later they still have not sold anything :mrgreen:
45 minutes of tech talk would probably kill any salesman. You can bet he hit the bottle that night. :mrgreen:

User avatar
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 4493
Joined: 2006-08-21 15:38
Location: Denmark

Re: O365 migration

Post by SorenR » 2021-04-22 18:28

palinka wrote:
2021-04-22 15:15
SorenR wrote:
2021-04-22 13:24
I get the occational calls about switching mobile provider and Internet connection... I have 30 years experience in that s**t so when we hang up 45 minutes later they still have not sold anything :mrgreen:
45 minutes of tech talk would probably kill any salesman. You can bet he hit the bottle that night. :mrgreen:
I assume they have a blacklist ... and I hope I'm on it :mrgreen:
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

Post Reply