Windows 10 auto-update uninstalling software

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
mattg

Windows 10 auto-update uninstalling software

Post by mattg » 2016-01-18 07:00

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comm ... s_without/
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/11/24/beware ... matically/
http://betanews.com/2015/11/24/windows- ... /#comments

In seeming random fashion, I have noticed on one of Windows 10 machines that stuff is being moved, removed and uninstalled. Looks like I'm not alone.

Not happy!!

One of the programs that was uninstalled was a paid, licences version of AVAST Endpoint Security (the business grade AV) that was uninstalled in favour of Windows Defender (which is 'ordinary' at best)

I've had start menu items removed, desktop apps removed, and a heap of MS rubbish that keeps re-appearing even when I 'uninstall' it. Things like games, and other apps that absolutely have no place on a business workstation (this is a Windows 10 Professional upgrade from Windows 8.1 professional).

Bigger issue is that none of the services restarted (this is a download machine in a healthcare environment, so 'services' are things that download pathology and imaging results) following the 'update' until the first user logged on - me when I went looking for results.

Be careful if taking up the free upgrade to Windows 10.
Mind, I have Windows 10 on a heap of machines, this is first one that I've noticed this rubbish on. I only just noticed the 5 second 'message' bottom right of screen when I first logged on, that says 'Avast was uninstalled as it is no longer needed' or something and then the message was gone.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Windows 10 auto-update uninstalling software

Post by Dravion » 2016-01-18 10:35

Hi Matt,

Iam testing Win 10 in various versions incl. the Windows 10 OEM Version with an Online Microsoft Account for local logins ^^ I can confirm the uninstallation and forcefully installation of System updates (but you can postpone it a few hours). The Enterprise and Education Edition of Windows 10 doesnt do this sort of crap.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2016-01-18 12:54

Hi,

i haven't seen uninstalled programs yet but default apps set such as IrfanView back to Photo Viewer or mp3 player back to that Groove crap.
IMO it's always a good idea to wait for at least 1st service pack before installing any new Win version on production boxes.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7.0-B2428-LTS-64-bit, MySQL 5.7.24, SA 3.4.2, ClamAV 0.101.2 + SaneS

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2016-01-21 08:47

Some details:
Updates to the Services or Software, and Changes to These Terms
We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/
Here is a Newsvideo on the topic:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... ows-10-pc/

User experiments about removing files:
This doesnt only apply to Games. There is a Video on YT where a user downloaded a
cracked Version of a Adobe Program as compressed RAR File. After the user uncompressed the files
within the cracked Adobe Program, some files in the unzipped folder are "automagically" are removed
without any kind of notification. This can be Windows Defender but Defender normally logs such
events or raises a notification popup but not in this case.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2018-12-23 23:48

To be honest, I've had this problem so much that I've seriously considered dumping windows completely.

I've had this issue multiple times on some machines, and I've certainly seen it on more than a dozen machines (while hundreds more aren't affected - it really does seem random). Reinstalling Windows doesn't guarantee that the issue won't arise again.

Unfortunately, living without Windows is just not that easily achieved.
I've had line of business software removed in a corporate environment through mandatory updates...

Windows is trying to be too much like iOS I reckon.
Cortana is one thing I get really frustrate with. Uninstall it, and it reappears next update. It is beyond disfunctional, it actively slows users down by doing stupid things like opening a bing search about what control panels are, rather than opening the control panel when you type 'control panel' in the search bar.

Windows Defender is really useless, networking via IPv6 as default in a LAN with no IPv6 WAN access is just such a waste of network resources, network connections defaulting to 'public' when machines are restarted, despite what the registry entries say should happen, ignoring completely the 'busy hours' that you set so that updates shouldn't happen when you are trying to work, and the absolute instance of doing a Windows Update when you have a major event happening, or uni assignment due is almost like the machine is deliberately trying to foil you.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2018-12-24 15:56

SørenR.

The quantum rule of insecurity which states that the act of observing how vulnerable a host or service is changes the insecurity level of the service.

rzane0110
New user
New user

Post by rzane0110 » 2019-02-13 12:00

I do no think that you need a software for that, you can simply go into the control panel and switch off auto updates.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-02-13 18:00

rzane0110 wrote:
2019-02-13 12:00
I do no think that you need a software for that, you can simply go into the control panel and switch off auto updates.
Have you ever used Windows 10 ?
SørenR.

The quantum rule of insecurity which states that the act of observing how vulnerable a host or service is changes the insecurity level of the service.

rzane0110
New user
New user

Post by rzane0110 » 2019-04-03 15:38

rzane0110 wrote:
My bad, I didn't realise it! Of course I have used Win 10. I mean is there any soul who hasn't in 2019? (._.)

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-04-03 15:55

rzane0110 wrote:
2019-04-03 15:38
rzane0110 wrote:
My bad, I didn't realise it! Of course I have used Win 10. I mean is there any soul who hasn't in 2019? (._.)
Well, with 1809 Microsoft killed that feature. You can delay updates but eventually they will find you. Also I heard that 1809 is now "business proof"...

Don't forget to backup your stuff... I had a Windows 10 workstation with hMailServer, Windows development and test environment for developing hMailServer code ... Positive side is I have a html file 3 pages long telling me what to install *AGAIN* !

It is now used for https://www.twopointhospital.com/ by my wife :roll:
SørenR.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-07-09 12:43

1903 is totally fooked ... That is ... IF ... it installs at all :roll:

Lots of new bugs, DCOM permission issues that you have to fix from regedit, "Firmware" and CPU drivers in Device Manager that don't update properly, TDL data not deleted from previous version and what not...

My daughter got the new Huawei Matebook X Pro (I need smaller fingertips to use that monster) with a sh*tload of RAM, 500GB SSD, 8 core i7 and touchscreen. Just spend 4 hours on it the other day. NVIDIA MX150 drivers not able to update properly and an EventViewer carpeted with red exclamation marks in "Programs" and "System" groups, all occurred after the update to 1903. NVIDIA needed a "install as NEW" and the rest was 1-3 year old bugs resurfacing.

If only I had smaller fingers and better eyes I would be using the MateBook X Pro too :mrgreen:

My own Acer also got hit by the Microsoft BUG monster but not as bad, at least my hmailserver development files remained in place this time.
SørenR.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-08-30 04:43

I have my issues with Win 10 but seemingly not to the level I've seen listed on this Forum Topic and I'm on version 1903.

Cortana seems a little quirky. Most of the time if I signout or maybe Restart Windows, I have to go to settings and turn off the slider to get Cortana to respond to 'Hey Cortana' and then back on before Cortana will respond or I have to click on the Cortana icon in the Task Bar.

Most of the time I cannot get my computer connected by Ethernet to Router to show in the Network Tree of the File Explorer Navigation Pane. I used to be able to do quirky things to restore it but now I cannot even do those. Even though it will not show in the Navigation Pane, Windows still knows about it and you can always access it by either its Computer Name or Local IP Address.

My latest concern was I had a problem with my Audio Manager application and I tried to Disable my Realtek High Definition Audio (Optical) connection and was unable to Re-Enable it as there was no Device Manager entry for it to Enable. Reinstalling Audio Manager did not bring back the Device Manager Entry. The only way I managed to get it back was to do a System Restore.

Otherwise I don't recall much problem with losing applications except for when do a Clean Install as I did with version 1903.

I have a suspicion that maybe some of these problems might be related to setting up a Microsoft Account to sign on to Windows 10 with. My brother recently got a new Win 10 machine and set it up with a Microsoft Account sign on and he couldn't use Windows Backup utility to access his files because he had them (Documents) sitting on OneCloud and the Backup Utility will not access those files. He did have the files on OneColoud Backup on OneCloud but he is not adept enough to be able to figure out how to access them. His wife's son-in-law set this up for him and he didn't realize that Windows 10 would default his Local Network to a Public Network. When I saw that I quickly changed it to a Private Network. I can think of a justification for defaulting to Public but because Network Discovery is turned off and therefore other devices are not visible (but that doesn't make them inaccessible) and you can control this also whether you are Private or Public.

I, also, don't like that Win 10 when adding a User Account will try to trick you into setting up a Microsoft Account for your User Account ID. The option to set your User Account as a Local Account isn't clearly identified. And while a Local Account can be used cross device retaining all the settings, it is more secure being a Local Account and doesn't cause other issues with Permissions that a Microsoft Account seems to cause.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-08-30 10:48

jim.bus wrote:
2019-08-30 04:43
I have my issues with Win 10 but seemingly not to the level I've seen listed on this Forum Topic and I'm on version 1903.
Cortana ?? On a "server" ??

Anyways, your network problem...
Open windows services (winlogo + X >Run type services.msc) on each of your win 10 computers take a look if these services below are starting if not start them and put the first one on automatic and the second one on manual

Function Discovery Resource Publication (Running) (automatic)

UPnP Device Host service (Running) ( manual)

Computer Browser (Running) (Manual)
It solved my problem and we have a mixed network at home with Unix, Windows 2003R2, Windows 2012R2, Windows XPSP3 Pro, Windows 10 PRO and Home.
SørenR.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-08-30 11:12

SorenR wrote:
2019-08-30 10:48
jim.bus wrote:

Open windows services (winlogo + X >Run type services.msc) on each of your win 10 computers take a look if these services below are starting if not start them and put the first one on automatic and the second one on manual

It solved my problem and we have a mixed network at home with Unix, Windows 2003R2, Windows 2012R2, Windows XPSP3 Pro, Windows 10 PRO and Home.
I had already checked the Function Discover Resource Publication in Services a few days ago and it was running and is running now. However, my Service Start is 'Manual Trigger'.
UPnP Device Host service is set to manual and is running.
I cannot find a Computer Browser Service at all listed in Services.

I should note also that the computer having the problem is connected by Ethernet to the Router. My second computer which does not have a problem is connected by Wi-Fi. I did manage to get more consistent Network Discovery on the Ethernet Computer by making a Static Connection to the Router instead of a Manual Assignment of its IP Address by the Router. The Wi-Fi connectged computer gets its IP Address by Router Manual Assignment. Currently I cannot get any Network Discovery on the Ethernet computer whereas about a week or so ago, I could get Network Discovery to work when I would issue the Command Prompt commands: ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew then ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /registerdns followed by rebooting the Router followed by rebooting Windows on the Ethernet computer. This would work for awhile until I would reboot my Router once again and intermittently (I believe) this would break Network Discovery again.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-08-30 11:17

Function Discovery Resource Publication has to be automatic.

It's the main change from previous builds.
SørenR.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-08-30 13:29

jim.bus wrote:
2019-08-30 11:12
SorenR wrote:
2019-08-30 10:48
jim.bus wrote:

I had already checked the Function Discover Resource Publication in Services a few days ago and it was running and is running now. However, my Service Start is 'Manual Trigger'.
UPnP Device Host service is set to manual and is running.
I cannot find a Computer Browser Service at all listed in Services.

I should note also that the computer having the problem is connected by Ethernet to the Router. My second computer which does not have a problem is connected by Wi-Fi. I did manage to get more consistent Network Discovery on the Ethernet Computer by making a Static Connection to the Router instead of a Manual Assignment of its IP Address by the Router. The Wi-Fi connectged computer gets its IP Address by Router Manual Assignment. Currently I cannot get any Network Discovery on the Ethernet computer whereas about a week or so ago, I could get Network Discovery to work when I would issue the Command Prompt commands: ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew then ipconfig /flushdns then ipconfig /registerdns followed by rebooting the Router followed by rebooting Windows on the Ethernet computer. This would work for awhile until I would reboot my Router once again and intermittently (I believe) this would break Network Discovery again.
Your next post said Function Discover Resource Publication in services needed to be Automatic as it was the main change from prior Builds.

When I reported its Start status was Manual Trigger and was already running, after I noted there was no Manual (Trigger Start) Start Option when you looked at the Start entry. Apparently somehow the Service adds the (Trigger) for you. The same happens with the Automatic Start option. The service adds (Trigger) to the Start Type so that it shows Automatic (Trigger Start). I changed the Startup Type to Automatic and I still didn't see my computer. I then Restarted the Service and I immediately saw my computer in Navigation Pane Network Tree. I then tried to do a Restart of the computer to make sure it would show and it didn't. I restarted the service and still nothing happened. Finally after a long wait my computer did show. I restarted the computer once again and now it shows immediately. But this is the type of behavior I was getting before and so I will have to wait to see if this fixes the problem permanently or not.

Thanks for the help. And note I googled the issue also and apparently there are other services which may need to have the same thing done for them but I don't know if it is supposed to be for the network issue or other issues.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-08-30 15:38

I assume you have activated "file and printer sharing" on your selected profiles? (WiFi and LAN on same machine use each their own profile).

I went to Windows 10 directly from XP and first impression: IT SUCKS BIG TIME!

However I'm getting to the point where I have found compatible (free) versions for most of my previous (free) 32bit shortcuts. Windows 10 Home 64bit cannot run my 32bit Ultraedit but Windows 10 PRO 64bit can ... :roll:
SørenR.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-08-30 20:55

SorenR wrote:
2019-08-30 15:38
I assume you have activated "file and printer sharing" on your selected profiles? (WiFi and LAN on same machine use each their own profile).

However I'm getting to the point where I have found compatible (free) versions for most of my previous (free) 32bit shortcuts. Windows 10 Home 64bit cannot run my 32bit Ultraedit but Windows 10 PRO 64bit can ... :roll:
So far I am now getting my computer showing in Network Tree of File Explorer Navigation Pane the way it is supposed to and it isn't having a lag in showing as it initially did after making the change to Service you said I should change. I do have 'File and Printer Sharing' turned on. I have only one profile on the Ethernet connected computer for my Network which is identified as Private Network in Network and Sharing Center and the 'File and Printer Sharing' option for Private Network is turned on.

What is a little puzzling though is why I had to change the Service Startup Type to Automatic which then was altered by the Service apparently to Automatic (Trigger Start) when the Service was already running with the Startup Type as Manual (Trigger Start). If I remember correctly, I tried Restarting the Service when the Startup was Manual (Trigger Start). On the Wi-Fi connected computer the Service Startup was Manual (Trigger Start) and it doesn't have any problem showing its own computer but it couldn't see my Ethernet computer either. Now it shows my Ethernet computer with Service Startup still designated as Manual (Trigger Start) and no changes were made to the Wi-Fi computer.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-08-31 00:08

I believe WiFi networks are initialized differently from Ethernet based on the fact that you can select alternative WiFi networks pre and post startup - Ethernet is "hardwired" :wink:
SørenR.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-08-31 00:28

SorenR wrote:
2019-08-31 00:08
I believe WiFi networks are initialized differently from Ethernet based on the fact that you can select alternative WiFi networks pre and post startup - Ethernet is "hardwired" :wink:
Changing Function Discovery Resource Publication to start Automatic (Trigger Start) did not solve the problem. I just installed a Cumulative Update which broke it again. The problem definitely does appear to be in the Function Discovery Resource Publication Service because both before the Update and after the Update, the Service was running but wouldn't do Network Discovery. In both cases Restarting the Service fixed the problem. However before the Update, once restarting the Service, I could Restart the computer and Network Discover would continue to work but now after the Update, I still have to go back and Restart the Service even though the Service is running.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-08-31 15:33

SorenR wrote:

Really? It's been pretty good for me. Very stable for both "server" and laptop. It's the only usable version of windows since XP. Pretty much the only problems i have with it are the same problems I had on XP which are persistently "windows issues". LOL

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-01 01:35

palinka wrote:
2019-08-31 15:33
SorenR wrote:

Really? It's been pretty good for me. Very stable for both "server" and laptop. It's the only usable version of windows since XP. Pretty much the only problems i have with it are the same problems I had on XP which are persistently "windows issues". LOL
For me while Win 10 is mostly ok. Microsoft did stupid things which made it more restrictive or difficult to use.

One of my BIG Bugaboos is how Microsoft turns off power to the NIC LAN Adapters when you do a Shutdown (S5). I know they state they didn't support it since Win 7 but I always was able to do it. Now you will see a disclaimer that while Windows doesn't support WOL (as that is the result of the NIC Power being shut off) from Shutdown (S5) some motherboards will alllow it. But if Windows shuts off the Power the NICs that support WOL can't start your computer from S5 State. Microsoft's rational for interfering with how the owner of a computer wants to start THEIR COMPUTER is that when someone Shuts Down their computer they don't expect it to start again unless they manually start it (I'm embellishing an inferred comment here). But that is making an assumption for you limiting a function that was built into your computer that you wanted to to be there because the hardware supports you doing that. I believe Microsoft overstepped its bounds by forcing you to do what it wants you to do with YOUR COMPUTER. In most cases I believe where the hardware supports it is the NICs are intended to never have their power totally completely off as the NIC's lowest power state is D3 which is still a powered on state. Of course the NIC will have no power if you unplug the computer from the Wall Outlet which is a Shutdown Power Off State (G3). The NIC can't have any power if there is not power being supplied to it from the Wall Outlet or a Battery (ex. Battery drained).

I find no real use for the Widows Power Option 'Turn on fast Windows Startup (recommended). They didn't initially tell you about what all the differences were from a complete Shutdown (S5) state. Later on they do tell you that one of the differences is that it will in addition to putting the computer into sleep mode (meaning they really describe the function which is the description for hybrid sleep) the computer will be signed out. One annoying problem with this option is that it essentially is just Hybrid Sleep with the Power Button Light not flashing. This fools the users of PCs before the introduction of this STUPID option that the computer is in Shutdown (S5) which it is not. Because of Microsoft STUPIDITY, I almost took out my motherboard to send back to ASUS for repair because WOL stopped working as you can only do WOL from a Complete Shutdown State (S) which at least at the time my computer was left in the S4 Sleep State where WOL could not be done. Fortunately I checked this option again as I originally said this couldn't be the problem but I took off my computer case panels and watched the status indicator go down to only the S4 State and I unselected that option and then the Status indicator go down to the S5 state the way it is supposed to do. Note this option was added when Microsoft went to Win 8 but has been carried forward in all subsequent Windows versions.

One last annoying Bugaboo is the way Microsoft tries to trick you into using a Microsoft Account as your User Account Id. They hide the ability to set up a Local Account by not indicating you use this Button Option on the User Account Set Up. They call the function of this set up option button something that does not sound like you would be able to set the account as a Local Account using this function. So I also find Microsoft to be Deceptive and Annoying when they do things like this.

So still I find only mostly the usual glitches Windows has but do find it annoying when a function changes without you knowing it has changed and the constantly rearranging of the Settings functions.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2019-09-03 01:36

Just let it run 24/7. Modern processers are easy more efficient. I have an i5, which is no beast by any stretch of the imagination but it sucks low power at idle.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-03 03:59

palinka wrote:
2019-09-03 01:36
Just let it run 24/7. Modern processers are easy more efficient. I have an i5, which is no beast by any stretch of the imagination but it sucks low power at idle.
My processor is a beast, i7 3960X, 6 Cores, 3.3 GHz Base Clock Speed with Turbo Boost to 3.9 GHz and it can be overclocked which I never do. Still one might say it is somewhat Green as I see its Clock Speed well under 2 GHz when running idle or maybe not working very hard. At the time I got the CPU processor, it was the top of the line.

Still I do not like Microsoft telling the owner of the computer what they can do with their computer not MIcrosoft's computer. I now do run my main computer with hMailServer running on it 24x7 but I let it go into Sleep Mode when there is no activity for 10 minutes. I set the NIC Controller to wake the computer whenever their is activity on the NIC Controller such as an Email Server connection delivering email to hMailServer. This besides reducing Power Consumption reduces the amount of heat it puts off which serves two purposes. One is the computer components are saved from running in a hotter environment and it helps to not heat up my bedroom (where I keep my computers) as much since I have no air conditioning (whatever lousy amount I have In the Living Room) in the bedroom. It gets quite hot where I am in the summer.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-09-14 00:02

I found these two links today on problems with updates coming from Windows 10 Automatic Updates.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... -bug-hits/
https://www.techradar.com/news/microsof ... start-menu

However, as far as I can determine my Search capability seems to be ok.