HOWTO: Using SpamAssassin with hMailServer V4

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Re: HOWTO: Using SpamAssassin with hMailServer V4

Post by tBB » 2010-09-28 23:34

mattfox27 wrote:Im using the tooms.dk windows service software...is that a good approach?
Why do you think I've recommended it? The current Win32 port of SA has a small memory leak. Nothing dramatic but on loaded servers it can become a issue.
mattfox27 wrote:It seems to be working but it won't allow updates. DO i need to enable updates in conf file?
You can as well run "sa-update.exe -v --nogpg" regularly e.g. by scheduler.
mattfox27 wrote:I know i need to read the manuals and all that and i'am doing so i was just looking for some quick setup info so sorry if im being a pain
... :roll:

Best regards,

Nico

mattfox27
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mattfox27 » 2010-09-28 23:43

Ya im sorry...i know you said to use it i forgot...I set it up and the service starts but when i go to hmail it says it can't connect to SA. In the toom.dk program what should the command line be to start the service thats were i think the problem is. I haven't had time to check the logs yet.

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-09-29 00:23

mattfox27 wrote:Ya im sorry...i know you said to use it i forgot...I set it up and the service starts but when i go to hmail it says it can't connect to SA. In the toom.dk program what should the command line be to start the service thats were i think the problem is. I haven't had time to check the logs yet.
Strange, apparently you've had enough time to post your questions. However, if you can't even tell what the error is it's hard to provide a solution. AFAIK the default command line in SpamDloaderService is "spamd.exe -i 127.0.0.1 -p 783 -m 10 --round-robin --max-conn-per-child=5000 --min-children=5" which is fine. Open a cmd window in the SpamAssassin dir, enter that command line and if SpamD doesn't start up it will tell you what the problem is.

Best regards,

Nico

mattfox27
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mattfox27 » 2010-09-29 01:37

I looked in the logs but breifly i did not see anything popping out about SA looking closer there was nothing in the logs. Im off site and doing this all remotely when i get a chance at work, this is a personal project.

Ok so i got it to work...in the SA service program the cmd line was wrong... here is the message that i get when i use SA on Hmail...Does this look somewhat correct, i know im missing some stuff.

Code: Select all

X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 3.3.1 (2010-03-16) on WebServer.local
X-Spam-Flag: YES
X-Spam-Level: **************************************************
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=1004.5 required=7.5 tests=GTUBE,MISSING_DATE,
    MISSING_HEADERS,MISSING_MID,MISSING_SUBJECT,NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE,NO_RECEIVED,
    NO_RELAYS,TVD_SPACE_RATIO autolearn=no version=3.3.1
X-Spam-Report: 
    * -0.0 NO_RELAYS Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
    *  1.2 MISSING_HEADERS Missing To: header
    * 1000 GTUBE BODY: Generic Test for Unsolicited Bulk Email
    *  0.1 MISSING_MID Missing Message-Id: header
    *  1.8 MISSING_SUBJECT Missing Subject: header
    * -0.0 NO_RECEIVED Informational: message has no Received headers
    *  0.0 TVD_SPACE_RATIO TVD_SPACE_RATIO
    *  1.4 MISSING_DATE Missing Date: header
    *  0.0 NO_HEADERS_MESSAGE Message appears to be missing most RFC-822
    *      headers
Its weird when i run from cmd it works but when i run it from SA_loader service...hmail wont connect here is what log shows...
"DEBUG" 2228 "2010-09-28 16:44:34.406" "Closing TCP/IP socket"
"DEBUG" 2228 "2010-09-28 16:44:34.406" "Ending session 472"
"DEBUG" 3888 "2010-09-28 16:45:05.109" "Creating session 473"
"TCPIP" 3888 "2010-09-28 16:45:05.109" "Connecting to 127.0.0.1..."
"DEBUG" 2244 "2010-09-28 16:45:06.296" "Failed to connect to SpamAssassin. Session 473"
"DEBUG" 3888 "2010-09-28 16:45:06.296" "Ending session 473"
"DEBUG" 3552 "2010-09-28 16:45:10.578" "Creating session 474"
"TCPIP" 3552 "2010-09-28 16:45:10.578" "Connecting to 127.0.0.1..."
"DEBUG" 2204 "2010-09-28 16:45:11.546" "Failed to connect to SpamAssassin. Session 474"
"DEBUG" 3552 "2010-09-28 16:45:11.546" "Ending session 474"
"DEBUG" 3888 "2010-09-28 16:46:43.890" "Creating session 475"
"TCPIP" 3888 "2010-09-28 16:46:43.890" "Connecting to 127.0.0.1..."
"DEBUG" 2244 "2010-09-28 16:46:44.953" "Failed to connect to SpamAssassin. Session 475"
"DEBUG" 3888 "2010-09-28 16:46:44.953" "Ending session 475"
"TCPIP" 2188 "2010-09-28 16:47:41.046" "TCPConnection - Posting AcceptEx on 0:0"
"DEBUG" 2188 "2010-09-28 16:47:41.062" "Creating session 476"

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-09-29 09:56

mattfox27 wrote: Its weird when i run from cmd it works but when i run it from SA_loader service...hmail wont connect here is what log shows...
Have you checked if SpamD runs at all after it was started by SpamDloaderService?
Do you have any error messages in the SpamDloaderConfig GUI?

Best regards,

Nico

mattfox27
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mattfox27 » 2010-09-29 21:08

i don't get any error in spamdloader gui it says started.

I don't think its starting SA i talked to the guy at toom and he doesn't know how to get the jem-software version to run.

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-09-29 21:31

mattfox27 wrote:I don't think its starting SA i talked to the guy at toom and he doesn't know how to get the jem-software version to run.
That sounds somewhat unlikely to me because the SA version at jam-software is not much different to SAWin32, means the same Windows compatibility patches were applied and it's also 'compiled' by using Activestate's PerlApp (even the mem leak is the same as in SAWin32). There is no difference in the errorlevels it returns nor in the command line syntax so I see no reason why SpamDloader shouldn't work but I'll talk to Tooms (who is btw. also a member here).

Best regards,

Nico

mattfox27
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mattfox27 » 2010-09-29 21:34

I just found this...when i look in the task manager i see the spamd.exe pop up then go away about every 3 seconds when using toom service, but when i run it direct from the cmd it stays put and doesn't go away. This is a pain. TO bad SAwin isn't supported anymore. Are there any better solutions?

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-09-29 21:56

mattfox27 wrote:TO bad SAwin isn't supported anymore. Are there any better solutions?
I've already PM'd Tooms. Personally I'm using a adapted version of my 'ClamDog' watchdog script for ClamAV and of course I can make it available to the public but Toom's tool is way more sophisticated.

Best regards,

Nico

Tooms
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Tooms » 2010-09-29 23:33

Hi guys

I have only used my Spamdloaderservice app with the sawin build, so i have not tryed it with the aother build your taking about here... sorry but time is limit.

my spamdloaderservice is simply running a commandline and monitor that the app started is up and running, so there is no black magic any where :-)

about the sa-update funktion in the tool, it is disable by me so it is normal that you not can change any thing and i have also this in the faq doc there is included with the app.
the sa-update funktion is disable because i found it to unstable to be enabled in the release version and i am not sure that it is a super good idea to run the sa-update automatic as i have seen them to change things that was not working very well so for now i better like to run it manuly from time to time so i have better control over it, but maybe in a later version i will include a working and enabled sa-update funktion.. time will tell.

to find the error on your setup then...

make sure the spamd.exe is not blocked by windows (it is by default ifor files download from the internet.), just check the properties of the file and if it is blocked then then just unblock the file and it is a good idea to verify all other exe and com files there is part of your SA setup

next check the eventlog as my app is logging to the eventlog and if there is a error then it will tell what it is..

Are you using the same user account for the service that you use when you test it from commandline, can be that the user account the service is running with not can run the spamd.exe do to some access deniad error.
you can try to change the user account to maybe the administrator account and then see if it help.

if that still not shows up then try enable the telnet logging with debug level in my app and then from a commandline then try telnet to 127.0.0.1 with the port set in the app, this will give you a running live log and it will tell alot of data and very likely what the error is.
or you can let it log to a file and see what it tells in the file.

if your running on windows 2008/7 then there can maybe be a issues with the service account not having access to the right regkeys but again it will then write a error in the eventlog that it not can read the config in reg.

you can also try let the spamdloaderservice call a batch files instedt of the spamd.exe, the batch file is just the full commandline your using when running it from commandline.

Hope this help you on the way

Tooms
Any comment or statements is my own and have no relationship to my workplace

mattfox27
Normal user
Normal user

Post by mattfox27 » 2010-09-30 00:37

This is such a nightmare...does anyone have the jem-software win32 SA version running properly does it even work? Im at a loss with this whole situation...should i just do it with perl? Please someone Help :(

What do i do...where to now? :cry: :cry: :cry:

I tried setting up toom loader with a batch file...it just stops every 2 seconds i have tried every config possible.

HELP :cry: :cry: :cry: :shock: :shock: :shock: :( :( :(

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-09-30 01:14

mattfox27 wrote:This is such a nightmare...does anyone have the jem-software win32 SA version running properly
Oh boy.... Yes, you had it running properly. You don't have to use Tooms tool. You already had SpamD running inside a CMD window. If the window disturbs you, well, let SpamD run in the background e.g. by using http://www.commandline.co.uk/chp As it sounds your mailserver doesn't have to cope with high traffic anyway so the mem leak shouldn't disturb you at all.

Tooms
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Tooms » 2010-10-02 15:47

Hi

have now check up on the jam-software version of spamd and found that it will not start the right way and can not find it config files if it is not started from the folder that it is installed in.

so i have now update the spamdloader so it allways set the working folder to be the folder where the spamd.exe is located and that seem to help.

so please update to the newest version of spamdloaderservice.

Tooms

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-10-02 16:01

Tooms wrote:so please update to the newest version of spamdloaderservice.
Or just add --configpath=path to the spamd .exe command line.

Best regards,

Nico

Shelby
New user
New user

Post by Shelby » 2010-10-04 20:36

Or just add --configpath=path to the spamd .exe command line.
This will not work with SA from JAM Software. Tooms is right, that you need to start their SA version from inside the SA directory. Therefore you can not install SA from JAM Software by simply using srvany.exe.

Besides Tooms program JAM Software now provides a tool "SpamAssassin in a box" (which isn't advertised at their site at the moment - just ask them - I paid 25€). I was the first customer for this because I haven't followed this post for a while. It almost does the same as Tooms script but also does sa-update from time to time.

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-10-04 21:10

Shelby wrote:This will not work with SA from JAM Software.
Strange, I wonder what's the reason. Have you also tried --siteconfigpath=path? I'll talk it over with Daniel Lemke (the developer of that Windows port) and submit a patch if needed.

Thanks and best regards,

Nico

Shelby
New user
New user

Post by Shelby » 2010-10-04 22:24

I've tried all documented options. Finally I ended with:

C:\Programme\SpamAssassin\spamd.exe -l -m 10 --round-robin 
-s C:\Programme\SpamAssassin\spamd.log 
-C C:\Programme\SpamAssassin 
--siteconfigpath=C:\Programme\SpamAssassin
-H C:\Programme\SpamAssassin
Trying to run this commandline from a location that is not C:\Programme\SpamAssassin\ will end up in error:

error: config: no rules were found! Do you need to run 'sa-update'?
And before any questions will rise: Yes, I did run sa-update before! ;-)

Would be great if this could be fixed in one of the next releases although I am not depending on it anymore.

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-10-05 13:48

Shelby wrote:Would be great if this could be fixed in one of the next releases although I am not depending on it anymore.
I've talked to the developer and he opted against the patch, allegedly because it won't make sense for them (don't ask me why not). Probably they want to promote their own commercial service wrapper because it (of course) also calls SA from it's home dir.
Shelby wrote:Therefore you can not install SA from JAM Software by simply using srvany.exe.
AFAIK you can set the working directory with srvany.

Best regards,

Nico

Shelby
New user
New user

Post by Shelby » 2010-10-05 15:27

Probably they want to promote their own commercial service wrapper
That's what I also thought.

Setting the working folder for srvany.exe may work with the /D switch but I haven't tested it.

posti
New user
New user

Post by posti » 2010-10-05 18:27

tBB wrote: I've talked to the developer and he opted against the patch, allegedly because it won't make sense for them (don't ask me why not). Probably they want to promote their own commercial service wrapper because it (of course) also calls SA from it's home dir.
Well, the reason is pretty simple, development time is expensive ;)

The freeware offered by JAM is a byproduct of two of their commercial applications as these use SpamAssassin as an integrated anti spam solution.
Unlike SaWin32, all of the necessary changes to make the port run under Windows have been commited to the official SpamAssassin project in order to minimize development cost for future SpamAssassin releases (and of course, to give something back to the community of this great spamfilter).

According to this, some of the "features" that SaWin32 had implemented, (like starting SpamAssassin from a different working directory) have been left out, as these would most likely not be included to the official source (they actually affect the Windows binary distribution, SpamAssassin is compiled into, so it doesn't make much sense from the SpamAssassin dev team's view to include).

Implementing those features to the Windows port (or even to the official SpamAssassin source) would be more time consuming. From a company's view, it's just not worth to add those to the freeware, as the wrapper service of JAM (that was mentioned by Shelby) already works fine in combination with the freeware port.

To summarize: The freeware can be seen as an "as is" product, with no warranties ;)
However, for a more experienced user it shouldn't be a big deal to make it to a very powerful anti spam solution.
The wrapper service of JAM "just" makes it more easy to use SpamAssassin as it makes any configuration, watching tool or manual rules update obsolete.

Hope I could clarify this topic a bit ;)

Best regards,
Daniel

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-10-06 09:25

Welcome aboard Daniel! :)
posti wrote:Well, the reason is pretty simple, development time is expensive ;)

According to this, some of the "features" that SaWin32 had implemented, (like starting SpamAssassin from a different working directory) have been left out, as these would most likely not be included to the official source (they actually affect the Windows binary distribution, SpamAssassin is compiled into, so it doesn't make much sense from the SpamAssassin dev team's view to include).

Implementing those features to the Windows port (or even to the official SpamAssassin source) would be more time consuming. From a company's view, it's just not worth to add those to the freeware, as the wrapper service of JAM (that was mentioned by Shelby) already works fine in combination with the freeware port.
Well, it's not that JAM would have had to pay any development time because I've offered to send a simple patch (for free) ;)

Regarding the inclusion into the official source I'm under the impression that the changes would be of benefit for all (Windows) users who need it while they wouldn't disturb at all for those who don't. It's not a bad thing to set the working directory inside a application, even if some people call software that doesn't change to the working directory of a called third party program 'badly written'. Unfortunately it might also lead people to believe that the SA version provided by JAM isn't working at all (see above...sigh) but I fully backup your statement that SA is targeted at the more experienced user.

However, as I've mentioned in our mail exchange I fully understand your point of view. After all it's very kind of JAM to provide a current SpamAssassin port to the community!

Thanks and best regards,

Nico

posti
New user
New user

Post by posti » 2010-10-06 10:04

tBB wrote:Welcome aboard Daniel! :)
Thank you :)
tBB wrote: Regarding the inclusion into the official source I'm under the impression that the changes would be of benefit for all (Windows) users who need it while they wouldn't disturb at all for those who don't.
You are welcome to open a bug for this, but keep in mind that it doesn't affect SpamAssassin Windows users in general so I think it may be a problem to persuade the developers to include it to the source. If you install SpamAssassin the "normal" way, the Perl script determines the path of your Perl installation, copies the SpamAssassin files over to it and writes those (absolute) paths directly into the SpamAssassin Perl scripts. Therefore, it is not a problem to exectue SpamAssassin from a directory different to that of the script itself. The SpamAssassin Dev Team assumes you installed the spamfilter that way, rather than using a binary distribution like SaWin32 or SpamAssasin for Windows, so they may not care for such a patch.

Of course we may want to discuss that on the SpamAssassin's mailing list, I'm absolutely pro for such a change as I also use the binary distribution ;)

Best regards,
Daniel

tBB
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tBB » 2010-10-06 17:14

posti wrote:Of course we may want to discuss that on the SpamAssassin's mailing list, I'm absolutely pro for such a change as I also use the binary distribution ;)
I agree, the SA devel mailing list is probably the far better place to discuss that.

Well, OK. Even if we basically talk about a one-liner here I'll join the list and BugZilla to strengthen the dark side (among non Linux users known as MS-Windows) :lol: I'm just hoping the SA BugZilla doesn't send it's notorious annoying nagios status monitoring mails any more like it did a few years ago (20 times a day or so).

Best regards,

Nico

Pedja
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pedja » 2010-10-30 10:52

Hi,

I just installed SA and SpamDloader and it seems i have similar problem with SpamD crashing very frequently (about every half minute or so).

When it crashes, generic OK dialog jums opt saying that "spamd.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close...."

I tuned telnet logging on to check out and it seems, for some reason SpamDloader cannot see that SpamD works, tries to send somethng to it to revive it, and then SpamD crashes.

This is what shows in the moment SpamD crashes:

DEBUG - 1 Threads                  :3
DEBUG - 1 TotalProcessorTime       :00:00:09.9531250
DEBUG - 1 UserProcessorTime        :00:00:09.5156250
DEBUG - 1 VirtualMemorySize        :162861056
DEBUG - 1 Is responding ?          : True
DEBUG - Process found: 1
DEBUG - Time between Does process run is 24 Sec.
DEBUG - Next time to verify the process is running 10/30/2010 10:52:52 AM
DEBUG - checking that SpamD is working by ask it to process a dummy mail
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug: Get ready to send content to SpamD server
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug: Content size byte : 192
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug: SendTimeout: 30000
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug: ReceiveTimeout: 60000
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug: Connect: OK
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug: Sending: OK
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug:
DEBUG - Task_SpamC Debug: Receving : Got no content back from the server
DEBUG - SpamD_State_starttime: 10/30/2010 10:51:56 AM
DEBUG - SpamD_State_CPUtime: 00:00:00.8437500
DEBUG - SpamD_State_memuse: 18509824
FATAL - SpamD process has exited(event) with exitcode -1073741819, will now verify that.
SpamD start time: 10/30/2010 10:51:56 AM
SpamD CPU time  : 00:00:00.8437500
SpamD memory use: 18509824 byte
... here comes the crash ....

[/code]

ERROR - Got a error when asking the SpamD to process a dummy mail!
DEBUG - ErrorWhenProcessingTheMail_Return: True
DEBUG - Time between SpamC checks is 71 Sec.
DEBUG - Next time to verify SpamD is working 10/30/2010 10:53:56 AM
DEBUG - Kill_all_process_running 10/30/2010 10:52:45 AM
DEBUG - Does_the_process_run function started 10/30/2010 10:52:45 AM
DEBUG - Process found: Not found any.
DEBUG - Time between Does process run is 26 Sec.
DEBUG - Next time to verify the process is running 10/30/2010 10:53:11 AM
INFO - Going to start up a new process 10/30/2010 10:52:45 AM
DEBUG - Do file exist: "C:\SpamAssassin\spamd.exe"
DEBUG - file exist
DEBUG - Do working folder exist: "C:\SpamAssassin"
DEBUG - Working folder do exist. so that is good
DEBUG - Starting new process with this parameters.
DEBUG - Commandline : C:\SpamAssassin\spamd.exe
DEBUG - Command options : -i 127.0.0.1 -p 783 -m 10 --round-robin --max-conn-per-child=5000 --min-children=5
DEBUG - Working folder : C:\SpamAssassin
DEBUG - Change DoTask time to every 2 Sec.
DEBUG - Some event happen, so i have set the time values down

[/code]

Funny, when I start SpamD in command prompt it sits fine with no crashes.

Tooms
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Tooms » 2010-10-30 11:37

the information you have posted seem good and there is no clear hint to why the spamd.exe is crashing.

One idea is that it is maybe what user account the spamd is running with, as when you start it from commandline the it is started with your user account and when the spamdloaderservice is starting it then it is local system, try change the spamdloaderservice to use another account like the administrator account.

Pedja
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Pedja » 2010-10-30 12:37

Hmmmmh... that seems did the trick. It does not fail anymore after I granted admin user privileges to service.

Tooms
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Tooms » 2010-10-30 20:26

That sound good

it is because the Spamdloaderservice will start the spamd.exe with the same account as it self and it seem that the spamd.exe your are using dont like to run under the local system account.