SMTP PORT CHANGE PROBLEM

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
mkkwan
New user
New user

SMTP PORT CHANGE PROBLEM

Post by mkkwan » 2007-04-16 11:08

The hmailserver is not receiving mail. I connect fine from the client (Outlook) and I verify that the smtp server is sending to the correct address, but hmailserver is not receiving the mail. If I use hmailserver with the server sendout feature I can receive mail from outlook.
This problem cause due to I change the smtp port from 25 to 555. I cannot received any email form others. I only can received those email sent by myself through my own email server. After I changed back the port from 555 to 25, all the things go well again. Is it I cannot change the smtp port form 25 to another port number??

Please help!!

Best Regards
Anthony Kwan

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-04-16 12:30

By default, all email servers are sending email to your server on port 25. If you configure hMailServer to listen on port 555 instead, you won't receive email. That's how the SMTP protocol works.. (nothing specific to hMailServer).

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2007-04-16 13:02

like a crowd of runners wearing different co loured shirts set off. you are wearing a co loured shirt, only the same two co loured shirts can talk, you have changed yours, how will the others talk to you?

Unless you have a intermediate step like assp spam prevention system where it will receive on port 25 and forward onto another nominated port. We receive email (like everyone else in the WORLD) on port 25 with ASSP, it then forwards onto port 225 for our email server program. In that case its allowable.

Hope this makes better sense to you now.

mkkwan
New user
New user

Thank you

Post by mkkwan » 2007-04-16 15:37

Thank you.
Actually, I will travel always, I want to set my Outlook to use my own email server for sending email but there are many ISP blocked the port 25 and only allow use their email server. I don't want to set the smtp server everytime for different ISP. Can you suggest me what I can do in order I can use my own email server to send out email??

Best Regards
Anthony

GotNet
Normal user
Normal user

Post by GotNet » 2007-04-16 16:21

Your need to find out if your ISP blocks both inbound and outbound port 25. DNSreport.com will test from the "outside". If just outbound then use the ISPs SMTP server (SMTP relayer setting in hMail). If both then an easy way around is something like changeip.com's SMTP port translation service.