Using hMailServer POP without SMTP

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Hotlanta
Normal user
Normal user

Using hMailServer POP without SMTP

Post by Hotlanta » 2007-01-19 06:12

I'm trying to use hMailServer's POP services without turning on it's internal SMTP, and mail is failing to get to the mail box. Does POP require SMTP services to be turned on?

raymond
Normal user
Normal user

Post by raymond » 2007-01-19 07:05

Yes... SMTP service (runs on port 25) is required for both sending and receiving messages.
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... p3imapsmtp

Hotlanta
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Hotlanta » 2007-01-19 08:44

Ok. Since SMTP has to be available to hMailServer, is there a way to have it use the SMTP service that comes with Windows 2000? I've allowed it to run on the same machine with hMailServer's SMTP service turned off, and it's not working. Am I missing something?

raymond
Normal user
Normal user

Post by raymond » 2007-01-19 11:56

Use the SMTP service that comes with Windows 2000? No... Not that I'm aware of it (without going into some fancy SMTP routing). MS SMTP has its own way of handling emails which is different to how hMailServer does it.

Just curious but... Why do you want to turn off hMailServer SMTP? Is there a reason you need MS SMTP?

Hotlanta
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Hotlanta » 2007-01-20 23:05

One of my clients sells data via a subscription email. It's a large group that we mail to nightly. hMailServer SMTP gets backed up and it slows the POP3 mail for everyone else. The only thing we use SMTP for on that machine is for these large emailings for the group. But we have been using hMailServer for the POP mail. When we do a large group mail at night, our mail is messed up the next day because we used the SMTP in hmailServer to do the mailing. In the past, we used CDO with the SMTP that came with Windows 2000, and it worked great. When we installed hMailServer for the POP services, not only did the nightly mail slow down on output speed, those large mailings are killing the POP service.

If I could figure out how to use the MS SMTP, I'd get my speed back for the large mailings. In addition, I'm hoping that because hMailServer wouldn't be bogged down with it's SMTP duties, that it would become responsive again on the POP3 mail.

Since I only use SMTP on this machine for the group mail, I really don't need it for hMailServer (other than what it needs to process the POP services). If I can make this work on one machine, that would be best. Otherwise, I'm looking at having to set up separate machines.

What's the point in being able to turn off SMTP on hMailServer if it doesn't work without it being selected? The ability to turn it off makes me believe that it should allow for an outside SMTP service.

raymond
Normal user
Normal user

Post by raymond » 2007-01-21 00:16

Yeah, I'm aware of large mailing/distibution list sending problems with hMailServer.
http://hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4459

Tweaking the performance setting might help...
http://hmailserver.com/documentation/?p ... erformance

Another idea is perhaps using multiple IP addresses on the box. Like run MS SMTP on one IP address and hMailServer SMTP on another.
http://hmailserver.com/documentation/?p ... ultihoming
If you go into the properties of MS SMTP virtual server, there should be an option to assign it to an IP address.

Hotlanta
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Hotlanta » 2007-01-22 01:30

raymond wrote:Another idea is perhaps using multiple IP addresses on the box. Like run MS SMTP on one IP address and hMailServer SMTP on another.
http://hmailserver.com/documentation/?p ... ultihoming
If you go into the properties of MS SMTP virtual server, there should be an option to assign it to an IP address.
That would be good if I could get to the properties of the MS SMTP server. It doesn't show up in IIS. I've even reinstalled IIS but to no avail. There are fixes for this problem having to do with registering various dll files, but but nothing works. Short of reformatting the disk (what a hassle) and reinstalling everything, I'm pretty much stuck with MS SMTP in it's basic configuration (which works fine with CDO and ASP).

I thought of another possible solution, but I'm not having any success with it. Since I have to leave the MS SMTP server as is listening on port 25, I thought that changing the SMTP port for hMailServer to 26 might fix the problem. This would allow for them both to co-exist. The subscription mail service is sending via CDO, so it's going to find MS SMTP if it's running on 25. From the docs, it appears that all hMailServer needs is a different port. Seems like a good solution. Problem is, it's not working. When I change hMailServer to port 26, then run a test email through my ISP's SMTP server, it doesn't seem to get to hMailServer. When I change it back to port 25, it works again (and the previous test mails never do show up). All of this without MS SMTP even running -- just hMailServer.

Is it possible to run hMailServer without using port 25 to accept and/or deliver POP mail?

Regards,

John

raymond
Normal user
Normal user

Post by raymond » 2007-01-22 04:24

All mail servers require port 25 for sending and receiving. The port number that email is transferred on from server to server, 25, is a hard-coded, unchangeable value.
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... _smtp_port

Without any means to access the properties of MS SMTP server, it really limits what you can do.

One suggestion is to try and use another SMTP mailer to replace the role that MS SMTP server does.

Another suggestion is to use a company that offers to accept email for your domains on port 25 and then forward them to your hMailServer on a non-standard SMTP-port. EG NO-IP