Large File Attachments

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
hvsiii
New user
New user

Large File Attachments

Post by hvsiii » 2004-09-09 18:45

I am using 3.2.2 and cannot send files larger than 8 MB. Is this the maximum file attachment size in Hmail? My machine is running hmail (of course) MySql, Apache, on windows XP pro.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2004-09-09 19:47

There's no such limit in hMailServer. Sure you don't mean the PHP attachment limit? This is defined in php.ini (normally found in your windows directory) and has nothing to do with hMailServer.

polarunion
Normal user
Normal user

Post by polarunion » 2004-09-10 06:37

it's too bad you removed the link to my little howto martin.. there's a little howto on how to increase the attachment size in php for use with squirrelmail for hmailserver..

the link's at http://www.concept4.ca/diy

it's easy to do - like martin says - just a few things to change in the php.ini - however you have to make sure you change more than just the allowable limit size.. you might want to also change the timout value depending on your connection so that your users don't time out..

polarunion
Normal user
Normal user

Post by polarunion » 2004-09-10 06:39

taken from the little howto thinger i just mentioned above..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is how to upgrade your mail server to allow for 32 MB attachements! It's really simple to do. If you have the latest 1.5.0 SM it also automatically updates the max attachment notice at the bottom of the compose page.

1. Open your php.ini file under C:\\Windows
2. Find and edit the following to allow for 32 Mb attachments

max_execution_time = 1600 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 1600 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (must be larger than post_max_size)

upload_max_filesize = 32M ; Max size for attachments

post_max_size = 40M ; Must be larger than upload_max_filesize

3. For more information on configuring SquirrelMail to allow for larger attachment sizes see http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/en_US/AttachmentSize

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2004-09-10 07:52

polarunion wrote:it's too bad you removed the link to my little howto martin..
Woops. I didn't mean to do it. Will add it again. :)