Possible to store and forward mail?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
lightsocket
New user
New user

Possible to store and forward mail?

Post by lightsocket » 2004-07-30 01:38

One of my clients would like to have his email saved to server so that he can access it at home, but would also like that same email to be forwared to his work email address. Is something like this possible? I tried to add an email account named lou@domain.com and then added an alias for lou@domain.com that pointed to lou@work.com. But this didn't seem to work. Any thoughts?

theTerran
Senior user
Senior user

Post by theTerran » 2004-07-30 01:48

How do you mean, "this didn't seem to work"? Which part -- hMailServer itself, the account, the alias, or leaving the messages in the account while still forwarding them to the alias address? What procedure did you use for testing this, and in what stages?

I've not used aliasing myself, but try breaking it down into segments to see if you can solve or at least isolate the problem.

Try this:

Verify that hMailServer functions as expected for delivery of email for your domain.

Create the account lou@domain.com on hMailServer. Verify its functionality (send and receive mail using that account).

Add an alias for lou@domain.com pointing to lou@work.com. Send a test message to lou@domain.com.

Check the account lou@domain.com to see if the message is in the mailbox.

Check the account lou@work.com to see if the message is in THAT mailbox.

Report back!

lightsocket
New user
New user

Post by lightsocket » 2004-07-30 02:04

Create the account lou@domain.com on hMailServer. Verify its functionality (send and receive mail using that account).

Did this, lou@domain.com works.

Add an alias for lou@domain.com pointing to lou@work.com. Send a test message to lou@domain.com.

ok, did this.

Check the account lou@domain.com to see if the message is in the mailbox.

This email address doesn't get any email.

Check the account lou@work.com to see if the message is in THAT mailbox.

The message only goes to lou@work.com.

So it seems that the email mesage only goes to the alias. This is unfortunate as the last email system my company used allowed for email to be saved to the server, and forward to another email address.

Thanks for the help.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2004-07-30 10:57

This is not possible to day. An alias is "an alias" and can't contain messages.

There may be a simple way around this. Set up a distribution list and name it distlist@domain.com. Add two addresses to the distribution list. The first should be a address configured in hMailServer (local@domain.com). The second should be an address on an external domain (external@someotherdomain.com)
Now, if you send an email to the distribution list at distlist@domain.com, it should be forwarded to both the external domain and to the local account external@someotherdomain.com.

If this is not enough, add an item to the tracker and I'll implement it.

polarunion
Normal user
Normal user

Post by polarunion » 2004-07-30 19:46

why don`t you just use IMAP?

messages are saved on the server so they can be accessed from anywhere(home and work)

drares
New user
New user

Post by drares » 2004-08-02 13:33

I also think this would be a nice feature. I have users that have only mail access from work (on their local server) due to corporate policy, so using IMAP is not a solution for them. By storing the messages in their hmailserver accounts and forwarding them to their email@work, they'll be able to get their private mail from work and also from home.

I added a tracker, please think if it's OK to implement it.

Thanks!

algaidaman
New user
New user

Post by algaidaman » 2004-08-02 16:24

It would be a nice feature, ... but IMAP is great if they can use it.

theTerran
Senior user
Senior user

Post by theTerran » 2004-08-03 17:23

Aliasing is a nice feature for some uses -- for example, variations of an account name (e.g. order@example.com, alias orders@example.com).

Forwarding for an account is also a nice feature for many uses, some of which were already discussed. Implementation in the interface (hMailServer Administrator) could work well in at least two different ways:

1) add a forwarding section to the account properties, maybe even a forwarding tab
2) make forwarding a filter option :D

If you've read some of my other posts you know I like the idea of more flexible and powerful filters... with enough options, filters can be almost as powerful as scripting support! Especially with the ability to define multiple filters for an account (as well as global filters), and to determine execution order, good things can be accomplished.

Somewhat in the context of this topic, say a user changes their email address from user@yourdomain.com to user@newdomain.com, but wants some way to make the transition easier. With powerful filtering options, you could do something neat like:

1) forward incoming mail for user@yourdomain.com to user@newdomain.com
2) reply to the sender with a friendly message about Joe's move to a new email address
3) delete the incoming message