Secondary Backup hmail Server

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
dana
New user
New user

Secondary Backup hmail Server

Post by dana » 2006-08-13 18:43

Hi! Everybody,

I'm now using hMailServer 4.2 B195. It's fine and stable but I want to set up a secondary backup mail server with the same domain.
So could you please provide me some documentation for the configurations and settings.

Thanks in advance,

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2006-08-13 19:55

There's a page here that describes how to configure hMailServer to run as a backup sever for another server.

http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... _mx_backup

dana
New user
New user

Post by dana » 2006-08-14 06:52

I really appreciate u.

In your link, I see that "Domain - The name of the domain you wish to backup. This should not be a domain configured on your server".

Does it mean that the primary mail server domain and backup mail server domain should not be the same?

And also how about SMTP Relayer settings in this backup mail server?

cveillon
Normal user
Normal user

Post by cveillon » 2006-08-14 16:59

1. It means that you should not be trying to backup a domain on the same server (the backup server). In your route (on the backup server), specify the domain name of the one you are backing up.

2. I think you may be in the 'domains' section of hmailserver admin, instead of the 'route' section (on the backup server). There aren't any 'smtp relay' settings in the 'route' section. You shouldn't be anywhere else but the 'settings', ' protocol,' 'smtp,' 'routes,' section.
hMailServer 4.4.1-B273 Built-in MySQL
3 ea prod mx servers on XP Home, 1 ea on Win2k

nickp
New user
New user

Post by nickp » 2006-08-15 04:00

The backup server does not need to have any domains on it at all.

In the SMTP settings of the backup server add a route for your domain. Specify the host of your primary server and select "treat this route as a local domain".

The backup server will accept emails as if it hosted your domain, but will simply hold them and deliver them when the primary comes back on line.

I would suggest altering the number of retries and Minutes between retry to allow for the maximum possible server outage. I have it set for 150 tries at 60 minute intervals.

Nick

dana
New user
New user

Post by dana » 2006-08-15 09:15

Nick, thanks a lot for ur comment.

If so, how about authentication in hmail secondary server for the users while the primary server is down in some reasons? Not to allow spamming by other people.

dana
New user
New user

Post by dana » 2006-08-16 03:47

dana wrote:Nick, thanks a lot for ur comment.

If so, how about authentication in hmail secondary server for the users while the primary server is down in some reasons? Not to allow spamming by other people.
Is there any way to be a redundancy server in hMail? Please help me.

dana
New user
New user

Post by dana » 2006-08-17 11:26

Althought I've set up according to the instruction on http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... _mx_backup page to be a MX backup, Mails cannot send/receive while the primary server is down.

It's asking authentication user name and password. Still problem!

Need to add the domain and user accounts like the primary accounts?

Help Me!

Ciaran
New user
New user

Post by Ciaran » 2006-08-17 12:55

I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of MX backup, which allows you to provide one or more backup servers to receive INCOMING emails when your primary server is down.

It sounds like you want to provide a redundant SMTP server for your users to send OUTGOING mail. That's not covered by "MX backup". If you want a redundant SMTP server with authentication, you're going to have to have two mailservers with all the account information on, and keep the account details in sync between them. Your MX Backup server will have to be a different server again, since you can't have the local domain set up on there.

boo_crew
New user
New user

Post by boo_crew » 2006-09-27 16:38

Sorry for not starting a new thread but this may be somewhat similar to what the original poster is looking to do.

What I need is similar to doing the clustering that has been suggested for future releases. I have a custumer that would like hmailserver to act as a backup mx to a SBS 2003 box. But in the event of an outage on the primary be able to log in to the backup and view old email and send new.

I understand that accounts would have to be duplicated on each server. My thinking to accomplish this would be to setup hmail as the primary mx server and forward a copy of the incomming mail to the SBS box. One problem with this is that email would build up in the account so I would need a way for hmail to purge email after it is over a set age like 4 months. Another problem would be forwarding email to email address that is the same as what is on the hmail server not causing a loop because it already handles for the domain and would send it back to itself. Would registering a backup domain name or forwarding the mail to user@'sbsboxIP' be away to get the mail to the SBS box without creating a loop?

Any recommendations on how to impliment this with HMailserver? Or am I SOL.
Thanks

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2006-09-27 18:29

Yeah, you should be able to configure hMailServer to forward to user@'sbsboxIP'.

In 4.2, you have to create rules to forward email. In 4.3, there's forward settings for every account.

In 4.3, it should also be possible to write a VBA-script which removes old messages from all folders. Would probably take at least a couple of hours to write such a script though.

boo_crew
New user
New user

Post by boo_crew » 2006-09-27 18:55

I never thought of writing a VB script. I'm so used to Exchanges DB that I forgot that the emails are saved as files in hmailserver. If anyone has a script already created they would like to donate that would be great.

I will setup 4.3 and let everyone know how it works and post the script if I end up creating one if others need the same functionality.
Thanks

boo_crew
New user
New user

Post by boo_crew » 2006-09-28 18:13

FYI... Sending to user@ipaddress does not work. I receive the folowing error.

Error Type: SMTP
Error Description: No mail server
Additional information: No mail servers exists for the address.
Thanks