ASSP spam/notspam dir

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
stefsegers
Normal user
Normal user

ASSP spam/notspam dir

Post by stefsegers » 2006-04-24 09:12

Hey all,

Just looked in my spam/not spam dir.
It took a lot of time to see how many files there were in the directory.
My not-spam has 85000 files!!!

Is it possible that ASSP will delete the eml files by itself after a while?!

Second question: is it possible to send a automatic reply to the sender that will indicate to him my mail address doesn't excist or so. I see I get a lot of the same spam from the same guys. Or am I seeing it the wrong way?!

Stef

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2006-04-24 23:54

Please read the ASSP documentation / FAQ / manuals, as you have a serious missconfiguration problem with ASSP if you have left 85000 eml files in not_spam directory.

You have probably left the initial test setup wich never deletes old eml files in spam or not_spam directories.

This is good while you are testing it, but with 85000 eml files I doubt you are in the first days of usage of ASSP.

Activate the file limit in ASSP and then ASSP will automatically maintain this limit on your ASSP database.

This will lead you to some problems with the bayesian filter and also everytime you rebuild the spam database as it will take a huge resources both in CPU and memory while rebuilding SPAM database.

Now I don't remember exactly, but I think that to enable automatically cleanup of database (deleting older emails than the specified quantity) you need to activate two settings in ASSP web configuration page. One is the automatic cleanup and it's corresponding file limits (suggested 10000 to 15000) and another one is to not to use email subject as email file name (because this overrides file limit system).
My perfect combination:
hMailServer 5.6.1 (B2208), ASSP 1.3.3.8 (antispam), Clamav 0.98.6 (antivirus)

stefsegers
Normal user
Normal user

Post by stefsegers » 2006-04-25 08:33

hey Iprat,

Couldn't find the cleanup option... only got the max files and set it down to 3000 files.... then restarted ASSP ....

ric melia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by ric melia » 2006-04-25 10:20

there is no "cleanup" option. you need to set the following:

uncheck "use subject as filename"
set the max files option (which you've already done)
remove the 85000 you've already got (however, i'd be slightly cautious with this as my ASSP recently seem to forget all the spam training it'd had.. and it happened about the same time i cleared the spam/notspam folders. could be a coincidence though)

ASSP will now save all spam/notspam files with numbers as their filename eg 837.eml

As far as I know, it chooses a random number up to the max you set rather than choosing the next one each time. This way you're actually less likely to reach your max limit.

I think ASSP can only do an auto reply saying your address doesn't exist if you fill in the "valid recipients" field with all of the email addresses that DO exist. If I understand you correctly, you want to reply to spam saying that the address doesn't exist? Don't think you can do that.

stefsegers
Normal user
Normal user

Post by stefsegers » 2006-04-25 10:24

oke I'll do that.. but... I am using version 1.1.1 final.. do I need to upgrade?! I saw u use 1.1.2?

ric melia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by ric melia » 2006-04-25 11:12

pretty sure all those options are in 1.1.1

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2006-04-25 12:09

To translate filenames name to numbered name you have a litle perl script in ASSP (at least in my installation it is there).

With that tool all 85000 message files will be renamed with a number, and ideally ASSP will automatically purge the oldest down to your setting (3000 in your case wich I think is rather drastic).

I have version 1.1.2b1 wich is very effective. I ran 1.1.1 but had a bug that let an important amount of SPAM to go through. Version 1.1.2b1 works nearly perfect for me. You should consider to have a look at ASSP home page and fritz page wich hosts the 1.1.2 beta work, and you'll see that it is highly recommended to use 1.1.2b1 wich is the today's stable version and let the experts use 1.1.2b25 (or whatever number they go now).

You'll find a lot of documentation in the ASSP forums on the very few things to take into account to upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2b1 (in my case was just extract a zip file over my actual installation, obviously with a previous backup ;))
My perfect combination:
hMailServer 5.6.1 (B2208), ASSP 1.3.3.8 (antispam), Clamav 0.98.6 (antivirus)