Mail Server Backup Relay

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
polarunion
Normal user
Normal user

Mail Server Backup Relay

Post by polarunion » 2004-06-22 15:35

Does anyone use a backup relay service for their hMailServer?
My net went down last night and I've been without service for almost 7 hours meaning mail was not being delivered or sent.

Very embarrassing after I just set up about 20 new accounts boasting of this servers integridy (sure when it's got internet).

I'm looking primarily for an open source alternative but i'm very desperate to ensure that this doesn't happen again. I'm getting a bit of a bad rep with my users.

I have about 40 users but will soon have almost 150 and I need and MX2 to relay my mail incase something goes wrong again in the future.

If not, would anyone be willing to be my relay?
Any suggestions or solutions???

Thanks team.

calvi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by calvi » 2004-06-23 01:26

There are about a million ways to do this. Heres a quick run down of our setup at the moment.

1. Two Draytek 2600G ADSL Router/Firewalls connected to two different ISP's.
2. Server 2003 running ASSP and hMailserver.
3. Use your DNS Host (ISP, or other, or do yourself with ZoneEdit, or granite canyon) to point MX to router 1, and MX2 to router 2.
4. Port pass through port 25 from both routers to ASSP on Server machine.

Now if someone sends email and Connection 1 goes down, their server will automatically try mx2 which comes through the second router. My server with ASSP/hMailserver does not know the difference.

Now of course I am taking a level of risk with this setup.

1. If my server or ASSP or hmailserver goes down.
2. If my local exchange goes down - (I have dial-up failover though if its only ADSL outage).

For this problem I have a deal with my ISP that they will store mail during this time, ie they act as mx3. This can be done by your ISP or Zoneedit offer it quite cheaply ($10 a year/domain or something - bargain!).

Further to this I am eagerly anticipating the backup feature in hMailserver 3.3 so I can have my own backup relay machine. (Can't have too much redundancy in my opinion).

Hope this helps,

as I said there are millions of ways of doing things. I guess my recommendations are.....

1. Get a backup dial-up or ADSL connection, costs peanuts these days, does not have to fast or have high download limit.

2. Get your ISP or Zoneedit or someone to queue your mail (backup mx) in case all your stuff goes down.

3. Eventually get your mail server redundancy so users can still connect/send etc if one goes down.

JC.

nwkit
Normal user
Normal user

Post by nwkit » 2004-06-30 08:02

calvi, how did you get the backup dial up to work? does it automatically dial in when dsl is down? or do you have to manually start the dialing?

is it possible to have both running at same time and using the internet together?...so if dsl goes down, the dial up is still running?

calvi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by calvi » 2004-06-30 09:08

My configuration works as follows.

1. Server 2003 Domain Controller is the primary gateway for the network.
2. The server has one network card - 192.168.0.1.
3. The server is setup with the following gateways and interface metrics.

a) Gateway 1 - Main ISP DSL -1.5mbs - 192.168.0.10 - metric 40
b) Gateway 2 - Backup ISP DSL - 256kbs - 192.168.0.11 - metric 50
c) Gateway 3 - Backup DialUP - 56kps - 192.168.0.12 - metric 100

4. 192.168.0.10 & 11 are firewalled routers.
5. 192.168.0.12 is a firewalled dialup computer.

You can setup the dial up firewalled computer to be windows with dial on demand, or windows with the dial up always on, or you can use linux like with a leif bering firewall.

My server 192.168.0.1 runs DNS and SquidNT , hMailserver for mail etc.

The server decides where to send external packets based on the interface metric numbers, ie it first tries the main DSL, then the backup DSL then the dial-up etc. You can setup as many fail-overs as you want.

Incoming MX records can be set for each so that delivery mails automatically fail-over to your backup connections as well - of course these need to be static external addresses and the dial on demand won't work in this direction.

Hope this helps - (Clear as MUD?).

JC.

Jason Weir
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Jason Weir » 2004-06-30 14:26

Patrick,

I have the same problem, a not very reliable DSL connection and I use http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com

cost $7.95 for a full year of backup mail service.

very cheap and the net had nothing but great things to say about them

Jason

polarunion
Normal user
Normal user

Post by polarunion » 2004-06-30 16:21

great thanks for the referrer. I'll definitely check them out.. hopefully when the 3.3 comes out we can get people from the hmail comunity to act as releays for each other....