Issues with Samsung Email client corrupting messages when IDLE is enabled?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
binarydad
New user
New user

Issues with Samsung Email client corrupting messages when IDLE is enabled?

Post by binarydad » 2021-08-10 17:36

I've been struggling with this random quirk for years. My setup is:

- hmailServer 5.6.8 2555
- Android clients running the stock Samsung Email app, configured to receive emails instantly (IDLE)
- PC clients running emClient (latest, though this doesn't seem to matter).

The issue is, randomly, I'll receive an email on my android and the message in Inbox on emClient does not show up, even if I manually refresh. The only way to get it to show up in emClient is either 1) rebuild the inbox cache, or 2) read the email on my Android phone, which then causes emClient to now show the email under Inbox. I noticed that under the Android Email client's settings, only the Inbox folder is marked as getting synced (again, using IDLE), which ironically is the only mail folder with issues. The only error I see logged on the server (for the IP of one of the Android devices) is:

"The read operation failed. Bytes transferred: 0 Remote IP: 192.168.1.5, Session: 24318, Code: 2, Message: End of file"

I'm asking here because I'm starting to believe this is an Android/hMailServer issue (more Android than anything I suppose) and wanted to know if anyone else with a similar setup has noticed this issue.

iamross04
New user
New user

Re: Issues with Samsung Email client corrupting messages when IDLE is enabled?

Post by iamross04 » 2021-11-17 20:26

Would you be able to have a go at eliminating your record from Samsung Mail and yet again adding it? You can do this from Settings> Records and back up> Account> Select the account> Erase. Once done, follow a similar course to re-add it. In case you are uncertain with regards to your email settings if it's not too much trouble, contact your email supplier to get them, at that point.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Issues with Samsung Email client corrupting messages when IDLE is enabled?

Post by SorenR » 2021-11-17 23:37

binarydad wrote:
2021-08-10 17:36
I've been struggling with this random quirk for years. My setup is:

- hmailServer 5.6.8 2555
- Android clients running the stock Samsung Email app, configured to receive emails instantly (IDLE)
- PC clients running emClient (latest, though this doesn't seem to matter).

The issue is, randomly, I'll receive an email on my android and the message in Inbox on emClient does not show up, even if I manually refresh. The only way to get it to show up in emClient is either 1) rebuild the inbox cache, or 2) read the email on my Android phone, which then causes emClient to now show the email under Inbox. I noticed that under the Android Email client's settings, only the Inbox folder is marked as getting synced (again, using IDLE), which ironically is the only mail folder with issues. The only error I see logged on the server (for the IP of one of the Android devices) is:

"The read operation failed. Bytes transferred: 0 Remote IP: 192.168.1.5, Session: 24318, Code: 2, Message: End of file"

I'm asking here because I'm starting to believe this is an Android/hMailServer issue (more Android than anything I suppose) and wanted to know if anyone else with a similar setup has noticed this issue.
Just had a look in the code... That error message comes from boost/windows TCP/IP and is usually triggered by a session being closed prematurely.

While it is fine to use the same account on multiple devices, it is generally NOT ok to automatically sync the account on multiple devices in case one of them delete or move the mail. That is how you can provoke this error.
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.