Remote Server Replied 550 5.1.0

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
successfully_failed
New user
New user

Remote Server Replied 550 5.1.0

Post by successfully_failed » 2021-01-19 02:20

I've two domains on Google mail. One is primary and other one is alias. I was using alias mail to reply to a message I got user of which apparently uses hMailServer and I'm getting Sender is not allowed to send from domain.

I've checked the SPF record and tried other stuff mentioned in a Google search but everything just look fine. If my email is getting blocked due to spam, it is okay if I cold emailed the user, but in this case I'm replying to someone and it is getting undelivered!

Can someone please help me understand the root cause of this problem?

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Remote Server Replied 550 5.1.0

Post by mikedibella » 2021-01-19 03:47

Send an email from that account to the address generated here and review the results:

https://multirbl.valli.org/

(Change the Test to Test by sending an email and follow the directions)

successfully_failed
New user
New user

Post by successfully_failed » 2021-01-20 09:48

mikedibella wrote:
2021-01-19 03:47
Send an email from that account to the address generated here and review the results:

https://multirbl.valli.org/

(Change the Test to Test by sending an email and follow the directions)
Thank you for your reply. I tested and see that my mail is blacklisted in 15 databases, I didn't understood rest of the part. Will you kindly help me identify what issue makes my email reply undeliverable?

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2021-01-20 17:56

Your Google account is configured correctly.

Here's what it looks like is happening. Your are sending a message to a user on the mri-research-ind.com domain from your mymrplace.com address, but the user has configured hMailServer to forward the message to an account hosted at yahoo.com.

When hMailServer relays the message to yahoo.com, it must identify the sender of the message to the yahoo.com mail server. It does that using the MAIL FROM verb with the sender's address. hMailServer's default configuration when forwarding messages is to use the original message sender at the FROM address, so Yahoo is seeing a message come from mymrplace.com. Yahoo looks up the list of IP addresses allowed to send from mymrplace.com and see's an SPF record that permits email from Google servers, not hMailServer's IP address. Yahoo rejects the email with the 550 error, and hMailServer then generates a non delivery report to the message originator (you) and sends sends it. You get the email you posted.

To fix this, the operator of the servers (it looks like there is may be two mail exchangers for that domain, mx1 and mx2) handling mri-research-ind.com needs to add the following entry in the hmailserver.ini file:

Code: Select all

RewriteEnvelopeFromWhenForwarding=1
This will instruct hMailServer to substitute the forwarding account's email address as the FROM address in the envelope.

successfully_failed
New user
New user

Post by successfully_failed » 2021-01-20 23:14

Thanks a lot for the insight! Glad to know it wasn't a problem from my end. I don't have access to the recipient email server though I will let them know about this issue.